Deportatons in Australia due to failed English tests

Discussion in 'Politics' started by garrison68, Aug 1, 2017.

1. We get a lot of shit thrown at America about "tolerance", but I don't think any immigrants in recent times have been deported from the United States for failing an English exam. They do this in Australia, as the following article shows. Cameron threatened similar things in the U.K, when he was in office (see other article below).

Melbourne father begs government not to deport family | Daily Mail Online

Similar things in the U.K.
    Britain tells immigrants to learn English language or be deported — but misspells the word ‘language’

Migrant spouses who fail English test may have to leave UK, says Cameron

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. [​IMG]
    Former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio was found guilty on Monday of criminal contempt
    for defying a judge's court order to stop traffic patrols that targeted immigrants

Arpaio's tactics over 24 years in office drew fierce opponents as well as enthusiastic supporters nationwide who championed what they considered a tough-on-crime approach, including forcing inmates to wear pink underwear and housing them in tents outside in the desert heat.

Also known to arrest Mexicans on sight, more so if they don't speak English

Ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio found guilty of criminal contempt

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. This really doesn't have much to do with what the thread is about, as your article is about illegal immigrants and other issues, not government testing for English skills of legal immigrants which results in deportation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. upload_2017-8-1_15-38-58.png

• Like Like x 2
  5. dblepost

6. If I moved to a foreign country I'd be super pressured to learn the local language. Not sure why it's an issue here. Doesn't mean you should be prohibited from speaking your native language of course.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Good, we should bring back Ellis island inspections here.

• Like Like x 2
  8. English test in the US?..Half of all the kiddies under 18 would fail! LMAO

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Former penal colony is getting very
    particular, LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  10. When I spent 3 months in Italy with my wife last year we made a damn good effort (even though most know at least some English) to learn at least enough Italian to order food, ask for the bathroom, please, thank you, etc in all Italian. It's only polite to assimilate to the culture you are being hosted in. I still can't speak Italian any better than a toddler but they were so much more receptive and welcoming when we at least made an effort even if I did have to go back to English when I didn't know what to say.
    If you are gonna live in a country that doesn't speak your language at least try to learn theirs and you will have a much better experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Where have you been? They have had the toughest immigration for a long time!

12. I was not well informed to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vostok! My man! I was thinking of you today... what the hell do Russians call "S hooks"?

upload_2017-8-2_14-13-36.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Yeah for real.
    Give American students an English test and see how they do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Immigrants who spoke zero English became some of the richest Canadians, employing hundreds of thousands of English and French speaking Canadians.

We're living in an age of grinding pettiness.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. I can see where Trump is coming from here, keep the visas for the educated and professional classes and free up low paying jobs for the American working class.

It won't fly with a lot of the GOP though. Legal immigrants are some of the hardest working people you'll meet. They don't go to the US to sit on their arses in ghettos and trailer parks, they're in the US to make money and better their lives. I can't see cutting the flow of cheap labour to US businesses who rely on hard working immigrants going down well with a lot of GOP politicians.

We had a lot of Polish come into Ireland over the last 15yrs or so and they've been very successful. One of the pubs I drink is staffed exclusively by Poles, the owner won't employ anyone else. He says they turn up for work well turned out with a professional can do attitude and will work any overtime he throws at them.

As for the Aussies, lovely tans.

17. I agree English should be mandatory, it isn't up to us Americans to learn every language to help you assimilate. No, the person seeking citizenship should learn English in order to assimilate within the USA.

• Like Like x 2
  18. It only makes sense to learn the language of the country you live in. Being able to communicate with people around you, wouldn't be so bad.

But if anyone is failing English tests, that would be trump. And what special skills did Melania have when she moved here?
    Is she getting deported? That would not be fair to her.

19. Melania is fluent in five languages, including English, so I doubt that she would have a problem.

• Winner Winner x 1