Denied a public defender

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by phantomxrider, Jul 25, 2010.

1. I'm not going to go into it, its a long story, but I have a court date coming up ($2,000+, a lost license and a sold car would be the fines). So I applied for a public defender. The court has always told you that "if you can't afford a lawyer we'll provide one for you."

I work at Taco Bell, I'm 19 and live with my parents. I pay all my shit, get about 20 hours a week on $7.25 wage, and have like $300 in my bank account.

I got denied a public defender.

How fucking poor do you have to be to qualify for one of these things if a Taco Bell teenager is too rich for one?

2. Yeah...you have to be living in a shelter or some shit to get a public defender

3. Dude that's pretty messed up.. if it has to do with the chronic then you might check this page Find A Lawyer - NORML

4. You have the right to travel freely unfettered and unencumbered.

DRIVERS LICENSE VS RIGHT TO TRAVEL

When a judge asks you what you plead , "I do not plead to a court of contracts" every time he asks. Eventually he will give up trying to trick you and you will be free to go.

So there you go. :hello:

5. Are you a dependent of your parents and just not telling them? Do they make good money?

Also, if you arent facing more than 90 days, you arent getting a public defender easily...

6. My family has a fair amount of money, and i was fornute to get a very good public defender during my time in court. No problemo.

I also had a couple felonies and a misdemeanor so maybe that had something to do with it. I was under the impression anyone facing charges could get a public defender upon request, whether you can afford to pay a lawyer or not. You are just not guranteed quality or effort from said defender.

i could be wrong thiough.

7. Yea I don't know about all this..

I was making $1800+ a month and CA gave me a PD. Maybe its different for some states I dunno.

But good luck, man.

8. Can't get one if you're claimed as a dependent by someone who isn't eligibile for one.

9. Don't get a defender. Defend yourself in court.