DEMF or Electric Forest?

Discussion in 'General' started by RastaSkunk, Jan 19, 2013.

1. #1 RastaSkunk, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
    This year I will be attending DEMF (Detroit's Electronic Music Festival) again and I'm really looking forward to it. Last year was a blast.

I have a few friends that are going to Electric Forest, formerly known as Rothbury. I have never been but I have heard lots of stories. Some of the reviews I've heard were mixed. Although more people go to DEMF, it seems that Forest is getting more recognition from my fellow Michigan locals. Couple of friends said they had a blast because it is a weekend of doing crazy psychedelics and seeing some great artists. However, I noticed that a lot of the douchy high school jocks that I went to school with attended this event along with all of the other "bro" characters invading the EDM scene. Plus Forest doesn't want to include some of the original Detroit Techno artists that throw down sick sets at DEMF i.e. Eric Saunderson, Derick May, Jeff "the Wizard" Mills. Forest seems that they want the big name artists and a fuck ton of brostep artists. Don't get me wrong, I like Bassnectar, Major Lazer, Zeds Dead, and Griz. Hell, they've all played at DEMF.

side note: I heard forest fucked up the lineup because apparently String Cheese Incident, Bassnectar, and STS9 were the headliners but their stage times all took place at the same time and this really frustrated the hell out of attendees.

When I was at DEMF last year, a lot of folks I met were not even from Michigan. This festival has been running so strong that it attracts more that 90,000 a year from all over the world. DEMF really prides itself in Detroit's electronic music culture whereas Electric Forest seems to be the place for all of the hipster rich kids who don't even know half of the lineup there because they want to get drugged up and wear their stupid highlighter hats that say "Rage" along with their slutty raver outfits.

I was really turned off by the prices for Forest, $200-350 for tickets for a 3 day event (which includes camping)? Fuck that, you can see some of those same artists at DEMF for only $70 for 3 days. Plus the security at DEMF is so lax, just as long as you aren't blazing by the fountain and other open areas. I've heard forest has security up the ass and quite a few people have gotten busted.

My question for all of you is which do you prefer, DEMF or Forest and why? Not looking for a debate, just wanted to hear other opinions.

2. EFF was awesome when it was Rothbury. Ive went since '09. Now its overrun by raver douche bags who are rude and pushy. They have no sense of community.

I guess if you're into that bullshit womp, have at 'er. I go for String Cheese Incident and the other limited amazing acts. I wouldnt even go anymore, but the Double JJ ranch holds special meaning to me.

3. #3 Capt Soydog, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
    Cheese is so hobbs lately. I was in Berkeley for two nights of their summer tour and it was so slow going and boring, kinda like the Furthur stream last night...

Shit just isn't the same anymore.