Dell XPS M1710 and Windows 7 Ultimate Graphic Card Frustrations

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by 420Surf, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Ok fellow blades, it is only once in a blue moon I ask anything of you but the problem I am about to explain has had me on nerves end for a few weeks now and I'm hoping some of the extreme techies here in silicon valley can help me out as you guys are my last option.

I recently received a used Dell m1710 with win 7 ultimate installed (32 bit) and I am in love with the machine, but there's a big issue. I cannot play ANY of my games on it because of missing video plugins due to the video card drivers needing to be properly updated. The laptop has a nvidia geforce go 7950 gtx built in for which i have found numerous drivers from dell, nvidia themselves, and third party customized NONE of which will work. Every time I boot after installing the screen blacks out after windows loads. I have made sure to do clean uninstalls/installs and can easily remedy the black out by rebooting in safe mode, uninstalling whichever driver i had tried and restarting with the standard vga graphics enabled (but that doesn't allow for any gaming). If worse comes to worse I believe I can downgrade the system to xp and use older drivers.

Before someone "googles this for me" know that I have already tried every driver and fix described on the first 40 or so pages on google when referring to this issue. So any help ANYONE here can provide would be greatly appreciated, if i've left out any necessary details let me know so I can fill in the gaps.

Thanks again in advance and...
    Happy Thanksgiving!:wave:

2. Ughhh yeah ive already tried both of those and to no avail. Thanks for the response though. I think im just gonna downgrade to xp. Sooo if anyone here knows of a legitimate reliable download for xp id be ever so grateful for a link.

3. Cmon Blades, I know one of you out there can send me in the right direction. :) Here's hoping.

4. I couldn't help in any way other than to tell you to steer clear of the 64 bit XP, unstable as all hell.

5. Allright thanks for the advice, glad you said that because I would've probably jumped at the first version I could get my hands on. :wave:

6. #8 guyverman, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011
    Yea win xp is fine, you can have a faster running PC without the shiny UI and still have it look nice, Observe mine(tool bar set to autohide):

[​IMG]

EDIT: Or if you want the shiny, you can find skins like this:

[​IMG]

7. [quote name='"guyverman"']Yea win xp is fine, you can have a faster running PC without the shiny UI and still have it look nice, Observe mine(tool bar set to autohide):

EDIT: Or if you want the shiny, you can find skins like this:

[/quote]

Im just hoping the downgrade solves my video card issues. Do you happen to know where I can snag a free version of xp?

8. Well, you definitely shouldn't look at installs with trusted purple skulls next to em on piratebay, because that would be piracy, which isn't to be talked about on these forums......

9. [quote name='"guyverman"']Well, you definitely shouldn't look at installs with trusted purple skulls next to em on piratebay, because that would be piracy, which isn't to be talked about on these forums......[/quote]

Of course, of course! I wouldn't dare ;) thanks buddy. :)

10. your using an old ass directx9 card for win7, thats the problem.

11. Alrighty, thanks for the clarification. I figured the newer OS was the issue. I'm otw to download xp as we speak.

12. sorry it had to be that, but im 99% sure thats the issue, win7 is dx10/11 :(

not to mention the 7950 is about 6 years old or so :p