Delivering the package

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by esseff, Jan 5, 2013.

1. #1 esseff, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
    Yesterday a friend was involved in an interesting coincidence, that I was a witness to, that couldn't have come about without both of us, but couldn't have happened without her. She definitely got the most from it, and as things like that rarely happen, or happen to her, I could see how significant it was.

We all experience them from time to time, and the details of this one are probably no more significant than anyone else who experiences a coincidence. What made this different was that I watched it play out, and something had clearly changed to allow it to take place at all.

By revealing it here, perhaps it will highlight what strange things, even in the simplest of ways, can take place that have real meaning for someone on a personal level, and hardly any meaning at all on another.

She took delivery of a package on behalf of a neighbour just before xmas. Usually, they leave a card in the neighbour's box, and when they return, they come and pick it up - a neighbourly thing to do, even though she doesn't know them as she'd not been living there long.

No knocking neighbours appeared, and the package sat in the hallway over the whole xmas period. She assumed they'd gone away.

A few days ago, as we left her house, she noticed the front room next door was empty and a man painting the ceiling (not in a Michael Angelo way just a painter/decorator). She knocked and discovered that nobody was living there anymore - the man was working for the landlord.

When she told him about the package, he offered to accept it on behalf of the previous tennant, and she would have given it to him, avoiding the need to have to deal with it any further herself, has I not suddenly said we'd return it to the sender ourselves. I realised almost immediately afterwards that had I not said something to change the course of things, the package would have no longer been her responsibility. Instead, she now had to do something else with it. Contact someone, take it to the post office, something, and for what reason? It wasn't like she didn't have her own life to deal with.

Anyway, there was no return address on the package so it required opening to ascertain details of what might be done. The contents were insignificant - just a pair of cheap ladies ugg-type boots sent from a catalogue, but there was a clear way of returning it, just as if we were the intended recipient and had decided not to keep it, and a printed label was included for this purpose.

At the post office counter, she was told it wasn't a prepaid label and would have to pay to do so. She felt that paying to return someone else's parcel was asking a bit much from someone already going out of their way. Then the woman behind the counter recognised the name it had been sent to, and she thought he worked in a shop at the other end of town. In fact she recognised my friend as being someone who used to work with him some time ago.

We left the PO. She wanted to follow this up immediately, and we made our way to the shop. Inside, the man sitting behind the counter was quite surprised as he was the person the package was addressed to. He didn't seem to have known that it was coming, as it was a present from someone else. The thing was, he'd never lived at that address, it had been sent to the wrong address altogether!

He'd never lived there, but actually lived directly opposite her now. The package had been addressed to number 4, whereas he lived at 31. She soon discovered that he had lived at number 4 'somewhere else' before moving to this place, and somehow the sender had got the old and new address muddled up along the way.

So without having to pay to return it, or return it at all, she ended up delivering the package to where it needed to go, and he could give the boots to their intended feet.

My friend was really buzzing about this, as she'd not only taken the time to fill him in on all the details of the coincidence, but was feeling the effects such a coincidence has on the way you feel. The woman in the shop wondered if such a thing could have happened 'up country', meaning that people in the big city would not have been as honest or felt like going out of there way to do this. I don't know about that, it was just a really nice way for things to go from what had been well-intentioned from the very beginning.

2. There are no coincidences.

3. Well, obviously there are, but I assume you mean that things happen for a reason?

4. No, I don't believe in coincidences, period. I believe everything is part of a design. Things like coincidence, chance, fortune, luck are terms human beings make up to describe things they don't have the ability to understand.

5. That's what I meant by happens for a reason. I agree, in many ways, that whatever we experience has some element of this in it whether we notice it or not. The most profound of these get called synchronicities.

The reason my friend felt the way she did after finding the person who's package it was, reveals something more profound then just shit happens. Yes, there are varying degrees of coincidence - some having little real meaning, like finding a parking space when you need one as someone just leaves, or a person gets up on the bus to go just as you want to sit down. I have revealed on this forum many of my own synchronicities in the past, some of which seemed so unlikely as to be made up.

All this does is reveal the wonder that is the Universe, and when we get a glimpse into the way things can work, it helps raise consciousness all on its own.

6. Okay, yeah, I agree with this, too. I take it a step further, though, I believe something like winning the lottery, or waking up one day and having cancer just vanish, to finding a close parking spot at the grocery store are all EQUALLY as important and significant in the grand design. We human beings like to label things in orders of relevance and significance, but every single event in the human experience is a miracle.

7. Great story. Kindness always leads down interesting and abundant paths.

:D

8. and that's just it. There is a choice in what to do. Shit goes missing all the time - it wouldn't have mattered if we'd simply tossed it in the bin, or given it to the daughter as they were her size. But had that happened, and the thought did pop up briefly, then that experience couldn't have happened. It allowed for a raising of consciousness, in more than one person. A new anecdote for my friend, the people in the shop, perhaps even the woman in the post office. Gets people talking, resonating differently, feeling good about things.

Reminds me of the time I found a purse in the middle of the road. It had credit cards and cash, and I wanted to take it to the police station. The guys I was working with gave me a real hard time about wanting me to remove the cash before I did so. I explained that even though it wasn't much (£30 as I recall), just taking it because they wanted some of it was not an option. What if it belonged to an elderly person, or a single mum? It didn't matter whose it was, I wanted to see it how I'd want someone to see it if it had been mine they'd found.

When I dropped it into the cop shop, the officer opened it and I watched his eyebrows arch up quite high as he found what he was not expecting to in the note section. He said he'd never had a something handed in with paper money in it. Restored his faith, etc.

I didn't want to leave my details but he convinced me to do so. A few days later I received a call from the owner thanking me (I wasn't very comfortable with this as I didn't feel I'd done anything other than the right thing) and half the money came through my letter box a few days later. I never came close to not giving it back intact, but the buzzing greedy voices might have made someone else relent. Peer pressure can be difficult to decline.