Dehydrator

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by stachi, Feb 6, 2011.

1. The food dehydrator is my preferred "quick dry" method. It isn't super quick but it works if you want to sample some of your crop without cooking it and you have a moderate amount of patience. A dehydrator will do a better job of drying the bud out evenly than some of the other methods but it will still have that green taste you get without curing. Depending on the thickness of the bud mine takes anywhere from 12 to 36 hours on the lowest temperature setting to get it dry enough.

The absolute quickest way I know of to dry fresh-cut bud is short microwave zaps on the defrost setting but it is very easy to overdo it and destroy your bud. By contrast, the dehydrator is almost impossible to screw up on the low setting.

2. thanks for the information. So I guess to get r. of the green taste
    the buds have to be slow cured? Anyway I ordered a dehydrator and lets
    see the results. [​IMG]

3. You will get better tasting, smoother smoking bud if you can slow down the drying process (reduce air movement, keep humidity up, cool temperatures) and then cure in a sealed glass container. I use the dehydrator when I want quick results like when I am low on supply or want to sample a new plant. For the rest, I try to stretch out the drying to a week and then cure for a least another two weeks before I sample the goods.

Good luck. :wave:

4. ya def want to use the slow cure for best product, but i've used a mr coffee dehydrator to sample small buds. 3-4 hours- kaboom. i've actually got some decent flavor from some quick dried stuff. but in my personal experience, around 70% of potency comes in a slow cure

5. Took a fat nug of a plant and put it the dehydrator. After12 h he was smokable.
    Of course he tasted green but had good potency.[​IMG]
    Thanks again for info.