Defunding the Police

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mvndanke, Jun 8, 2020.

1. What’s the point???

Being a Police officer can’t be a low paying job for dumbasses and underachievers.

It should require high qualifications and appropriate pay.

Defunding is counter productive, so why are protesters pushing for this? If you have the jurisdiction to take another persons life, wouldn’t we want that person to be paid accordingly, held accountable, and trained thoroughly? And I mean psychology, sociology, sign language, de-escalation techniques etc.

Where did this defunding rhetoric come from and will it distract from the goals of the movement? States can just say no and go right along doing what they have been all this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Instead of Minneapolis defunding their police they should start slowly and have a no cop Friday. If that works out then defund but if it doesn't work out the infrastructure will still be in place and they can all go back to work on Saturday. I remember when Bagdad fell and there were no police. People were running in the streets stealing everything they could get their hands on and finalizing old grudges.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ANTIFA.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. They definitely need to work on their messaging, but I wouldn't expect a brilliant PR strategy out of the protests.

"It’s not just about taking away money from the police, it’s about reinvesting those dollars into black communities. Communities that have been deeply divested from, communities that, some have never felt the impact of having true resources. And so we have to reconsider what we’re resourcing. I've been saying we have an economy of punishment over an economy of care," Patrisse Cullors, a co-founder of the Black Lives Matter movement, told WBUR.
    What does defund the police mean? New push amid George Floyd protests

Personally I think "militarization" of the police is another problem. Every single apocalyptic sci-fi movie, portrayed this police state in one way or another. But this is happening in real life. I'm not really sure why police need to have military-grade weaponry and vehicles if they are supposed to "serve and protect" fellow citizens and not to wage a war.

Decent summary here:

• Like Like x 4
  5. My understanding of the drive to refund the police is not about cutting wages but cutting the funding for the military equipment they've started using in the last decade or so.

The corrupt self serving police unions are the real problem. They're slithering scum who'll stop at nothing to have their members protected from prosecution.

• Like Like x 5
  6. There are a great many people who just have a problem with authority, point blank, for no other reason than their psychological make up.. In the same vein, there are people within these vehicles of authority who just have a problem and when put under stress, these problems are going to emerge.

What we need to understand, is that the idea of the authority that the police have, is created by a very delicate balance... Its ironic, because we think were doing ourselves a favor by disturbing this balance.. All were going to achieve is putting the authority the police have, into ever changing hands based on whos got how much support, where and for how long.

These problems that emerge when individuals are put under stress, the police have crafted a system to attempt to weed these people out, but the system is not perfect... The next people who wield the authority that the police wield, they will make no attempt to craft any sort of system to weed anybody out.

I hope they do defund the police, so we can all watch the chaos unravel... Like people are talking about defunding the police in MY city... We had approximately 1600 people who declared themselves homeless, but those are only the people who made the declaration, there were others who did not... When you take the law away, suddenly, these 1600 people have a couple options on their hands that they didn't before... They can congregate, create a great big group of them and just overwhelm anybody who tries to stop them... I saw it the first day they closed everything down, there were like 50 homeless people outside the Wal-Mart, they were yelling about how they were gonna bust in and loot it, till finally a single police car came and they all dispersed.

7. I thought the right were all for less government, what a U-turn they've made!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. it's only an oppression, when you can't get a haircut for a couple of weeks. otherwise policy brutality is cool, because it doesn't target older white dudes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Who is asking for more government?

10. I agree...........along with teachers........but that is a completely different discussion.............

TO ME, the point of "defunding the police" is a sign of "change"..............RIGHT NOW, thats ALLLL several people want..............now whether the change is for good or for worse..........well, we will see.

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 Mvndanke, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    I understand what you’re saying, that’s why we need a clear cut and concise plan of action federally mandated not state mandated.

We cant let it go to ever changing hands, just make sure we perform checks and balances and hold people accountable.

The hands that the police are in now, no one is held accountable it’s strictly protect each other, and I can understand that mentality because the people I work with, I want to protect! But if it comes down to it, and you keep making the same mistakes and you put someone’s Life in danger with your actions I’m sorry but you have to go.

the system is so broken and I don’t see policy makers really making the steps to change it how it needs to be changed. I just see them doing weird shit like this

300B19E3-170F-4504-A346-B31F68F0D647.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. TERM LIMITS FOR ALLLLLLL ELECTED PERSONS..............is a starting point IMO

13. I see a lot on the right outraged at the thought of cutting funding to the police.

14. #14 old shol4evr, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    delete

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Conservatives want less government regulation and less crime. That has nothing to do with fewer policemen.

• Like Like x 3
  16. NOOOOOO, Conservatives want it to go back to the 1940's and 50's..................and it just "ain't gonna happen"........

• Like Like x 1
  17. Of course it does. Who enforces government regulations? The more police force we have the more spending and more overhead we create. Thus leading to more government interference whether state, local or even federal level.

18. Right guys, please excuse me for not being up to date with this. From what I’ve just read there, the first result of all this Blm polava is to cut police funding?
    And this is seen as a positive outcome that will improve the police force?
    Am I reading that right?
    I’m in the U.K. so I’ll take your answers over anything I get from google.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1

19. That is the "argument" or "conversation" in a nutshell...................whether to do it.......and how to do it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wow... I’ll go do some reading and get back...

• Like Like x 1