Defoliation

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Urban gardener, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Hey fellows 420’ers. I’m currently a couple days shy of week 2 into flower. I know I need to defoliate and clean up the canopy so lower sights can get more light and better air flow. But I’m not sure where what and how much I should take off.. should I take off all the fan leaves? Just a few to thin it out ? Can anyone point me in the right direction of the right way to defoliate. Maybe a link to a in depth video or something? Thanks in advance

2. Everybody has their own opinion on defoliating. To me it seems most recommend taking the least amount necessary to let light onto lower tops.

• Like Like x 1
  3. There no set way or guide available to follow because you have to treat every plant different, most or it about airflow and node spacing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. The only leaves I remove are the obvious dead ones. Otherwise, I let Mother Nature do her thing!

5. I defoliate on week 3 pretty heavily down low, less towards the tops. Big fans with purple petioles go first. Any low branches get taken leaving room for watering, and allowing for better air flow.
    I defoliate again on week six. Again, targeting the big fans. I like to punch holes in the canopy to get better light to the the lowers and get more air flow. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I know I can’t find a definite answer anywhere… so I’m regards to what you just said.. the thing is I got 18 lady’s stacked In a 8x4 tent all about 3 1/2- 4ft tall (I know I veg’d them a little to long, I wasn’t ready to flip them when I should have because I was still shopping a few needed things for flower), so 18 in a 8x4 tent with 2 layers of trellis netting, they all have been topped, lollipoped, lst, so basically they are all crowding each other.. I’ve been thinking about just taking off every other fan leaf on each one??

• Like Like x 1
  7. When I defoliate I usually take whole branches that look less dominant and shade leaves that shade other lower dominant tops probably right up until week 3 of flower but each to their own, I have not much underneath the canopy at all if it's shaded it's gone. 5 plants in an 8x4 9 days into bloom cycle photo from about a week ago. 20220925_111615.jpg

• Like Like x 2