Defoliation question with picture

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Deathmachine, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Just hit week 3 of flower. I’ve taken a bunch of fan leaves off but not sure about the small stuff in the yellow square. Do I strip everything in the yellow and cut below where the small buds are trying to form leaving the stalk (circled in blue) Or remove those small stalks also?
    Wasn’t sure if cutting the bids starting to form would stress the plant out. Thank you hope I explained it enough to understand.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. hmm, the parts that are best illuminated will produce the best buds. So if that area is receiving adequate lighting, leave it. Otherwise its not going to produce much more than larf.

This plant looks like it is receiving too much nitrogen. I suggest using bloom nutes that have low levels of nitrogen (like maxibloom for example).

• Like Like x 1
  3. i have a couple plants about a week behind you i found out from past grows to leave most of the fan leaves that are not blocking light point being if you have any problems they will die off first otherwise if you have problems the bud sights will start dying i will clean mine up week 3 and take off just about what you have circled branches and all i leave 1 or 2 larf branches there just to see what they do

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks for pointing that out. I was adding advanced nutrients calmag . The bottle shows 4%N. One of the plants were showing magnesium deficiency so I started adding calmag to the RO water for all plants at about 200 ppm. Should this work itself out not adding the calmag now? thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  5. hey my bro, come see my new rez ! Bato of the Systems

Adding calmag should not lead to N-tox unless you are adding lots of it. But some people don't use calcium nitrate based supplements, and use calcium phosphate, like Demeter's Nectar of the Gods. There's also some chelates like those available from Plant Products (called Spike) but it doesn't have iron.
    Still though, I would look at the nutrients you are using. What are your primary nutrients? Or is this just soil being too rich? not sure not enough info.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #7 Deathmachine, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    from veg, The soil is gaia green w gaia worm castings, gaia all purpose. That was in 1 gallon containers.
    When I transplanted to 5gal, I used only worm castings and Bokashi grow since i wasn’t going to flower for 6-8 weeks as recommended to me.
    1 week before flower, I defoliated and top dressed each plant with gaia worm castings and gaia bloom and gaia all purpose 50/50 mix. It’s been 4 weeks since. No burn marks anywhere.
    I use RO water 16 ppm 6.5 ph
    All the lower areas were covered with leaves, they would have only seen ambient light until today.
    Top dress at 5 weeks with worm castings and gaia bloom. I don’t know much as i’m still learning.
    Thanks for all the help
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. I would generally take the bud sites and leaves/branches from that area. Overall, she looks like maybe too much N along with some suspect symptoms that look like early locking up of p and k. All signs would point me in the direction of soil and/or ferts that are a bit too hot. Good luck on your harvest. Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1