Defoliation 3 Week Flower

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by weedman88, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Hey there,

Just looking for some clarification if defoliation of lower 1/3 leaves of plant is a big deal at week 3 into flower out of 8. It seems like I got many bud sites but tons of extra green leave below half canopy as well. I just wonder if that would cause to much stress this far in the game. Or it may also help focus more energy to bud sites in long run more so. What's your thoughts ?

Cheers

2. Chop all unnecessary redundant growth that doesn't access the canopy/light... well don't be crazy either.

• Like Like x 1
  3. This is a skill that you sort of have to develop over a couple grows. If you don't cut enough, you're allowing the plant to waste energy on sites that will never develop fully. On the other hand if you chop too much you're taking viable bud sites out that would be part of your overall yield.

I would look at the photos online that are available to see how much other people chop. And like @trojangrower said, trying not to get carried away either. Even chopping a little less that the lower 1/3 to see what happens is fine.

4. I find that the top nugs don't receive any benefits, but it's much less work on harvest day when you don't have to deal with the mess of tangled nonsense at the bottom It's also easier to water the plants when it's tidied up. Sometimes I do it and sometimes I don't. I do find it does give the plants a bit of shock though, growth halts for a few days