Definition of Atheism and Theism

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Ninja20p, May 3, 2011.

1. #101 Blunted123, May 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011

Lmfao. I think it must be hard for you to grasp the concept of sarcasm. I THOUGHT the post was funny without the :rolleyes:, but, please, let me edit my post (73) to make the sarcasm a little less sublte for those who find it a hard concept to grasp.

By the way, you realize that he's not alive, nor thinking, correct? The guy said brain and ears, nothing about the rest of the system. You caught on, right? Just making sure, You seem to be lagging in comprehension.

Edit: Decided to read it.

This made me laugh so hard I nearly suffocated. Of course. Did we invent math, or discover/write it down? You have some seriously funny ideas. How do you think Santa delivers presents to ALLLLL of the children of the world? He invented his own time line?

2. #102 WhosGotTheHerb, May 5, 2011
    I think your misunderstanding my intentions. I was trying to make you "think outside the box" so to speak. Yes I realise the rock isn't living (I believe I put that in the post?), but my point was to take a step back and realise how amazing life is. Your comment on the rock thinking has me confused though? What do you think the rock does with its brain? Even if you believe in science/evolution, isn't it amazing how all those factors HAD to happen in order for you to be here today? What would have happened if just one of those steps didn't happen?

My point to creating mathematics/science/language is that they can be considered as ridiculous (in my eyes!) as a creator.. Your Santa analogy doesn't work for me because he does not exist in my reality.

May I ask you, what is your belief in a creator?

3. Must you defend yourself?

4. #104 Blunted123, May 5, 2011

Yes, I realize how amazing it is that we're here, alive, on Earth. I get it. Now can you be amazed at all of the places in this very same universe that there ISN'T life? It is just as, if not more astonishing, is it not? We're so young, we've never colonized outside of this planet, as far as we know. There are places in the universe that habitable conditions exist, it's simply about finding them and figuring out how to get there and sustain ourselves, assuming it isn't already out there. As far as we know, we're the only beings here. Until you reach the end of the universe and travel back to prove it, I'm stuck with the notion that the odds are stack in favor of there being other life, which makes us much, MUCH less significant in perception. And I don't know what the rock would do with it's brain. Since it only has a brain and ears, isn't it like a Mr. Potatohead? He has no spinal cord, or brain stem, or any vascular system. He will probably end up petrifying his poor brain because he doesn't know how to use the darn thing. As for the ears, bird food. :D

5. Life, non-life...all beautiful :D

6. It's not required no. But I like for the person I am discussing with to understand where I'm coming from.

You can only analyse the evidence, if you both have an understanding of each others opinions/experience.;)

7. Assuming that they don't already understand where you're coming from, of course ;)

8. #108 WhosGotTheHerb, May 5, 2011
    I agree, it is odd that we are the only life AS FAR AS WE KNOW. But what do "we" know?

Try to erase your preconceived notions of religion for one second. Do you think that there is a creator that possibly created this opportunity of life for no other reason than to experience life? Maybe we are correct in everything we have discovered in Science, AS FAR AS WE KNOW. But, what if the creator had all this in mind to happen?

Think of what science says started life. I realise it hasn't been proven (as far as we know), but do you think it is possible for these random (not specifically, but truly random) occurences to happen again on some other random planet?

edit: Just realised you said you believe there to be other life. Like I said though, erase your preconceived notions of religion. Does your creator have to fit the mold?

I'm only asking to see where you are coming from. BTW, I got a laugh out of your Mr. Potatohead comment. :D

9. I think the whole question boils down to the values you place on the existence of life. I feel that is the first bad direction one takes when we think of life and god. It is to give meaning or purpose inherently to life. This was the hardest notion I had to get over was any true meaning for life outside of myself, I wanted to keep believing in a god just because I couldn't fathom life having meaning without a god. Then I came to the conclusion that there is no meaning or purpose to ones life outside of it, we give life meaning onto itself, from itself (get what I mean?). I was not born into the world with meaning and purpose, through having/raising my children, my relationship with my wife and friends/family I have found some form of purpose and meaning the kind of substance to mold my life into something better then was before.

I'm not saying everyone feels this exact way but I am saying if we are honest with ourselves I think everyone's reason or their own personal "proof" for god really boils down to us wanting a specific answer to questions which we have created ie why am I here, whats the purpose of all this, etc. the answers to which most people find appalling. Why are you here, because of proteins, nucleic acid, carbohydrates, and fat that coupled with Darwinian natural selection, whats the purpose of all this does the tree have some bestowed purpose outside of the systems it operates in, no, searching for purpose and meaning in life from something outside of it is (the concept of god which is completely made up) a futile task that will lead to nothing but delusions, sorry for the ramble:)

10. #110 WhosGotTheHerb, May 5, 2011
    This has very sound reasoning behind it. I do agree we create an image of "god" by trying to find answers. However who's answer is correct?

There are two path's you can go down when looking at your beliefs. I ask you to please consider the possibility of both ideas of creation coexisting. Ultimately you will choose the path that sounds more reasonable to yourself.

Now, I ask you to release your conceived notion of religion (purpose to life). Do you think it is possible, if we have a creator, that he just wanted us to exist?

edit: Also on our theory of evolution, do you think maybe it is possible he didn't originally create the universe with intention of life? Maybe it was an ongoing process of creation (evolution). I'm starting to believe this theory.. what do you think?

11. Reasonable-(of a person) having sound judgment; fair and sensible

I would argue (like I do:)) that reasonable is something a theist is incapable of, unreasonable claims yes but reasonable no.

Whosgottheherb, what honestly brings you to a creator, you don't have to say but for me meaning and purpose where the reasons I had created and held onto a god, just curious.

12. #112 WhosGotTheHerb, May 5, 2011
    Well to start, I just cannot accept we came from nothing.. that just sounds crazy (to me). The rest I will leave you with this thread I have created on my beliefs:

http://forum.grasscity.com/spirituality-philosophy/808411-god-real.html

Please let me know your differences in opinion

about reasoning, I am aware a creator seems unreasonable, but that is because we cannot imagine such a thing. To me, a creator is as reasonable as believing in aliens. (yes I do believe in other lifeforms)

13. Remove all man made concepts? You're on a computer, using the internet, on a designed webpage.

14. This is called argument from personal incredulity, and it is a logical fallacy.

15. It can be labeled, but it is still where my beliefs stem from.

16. You say you can't accept "something from nothing" but you obviously can. Who created the creator?

17. VERY INTERESTING. I'll have to think about that one.. I think one problem is I can't really answer it since I don't know what the creator is.. but very intriguing.:smoke:

18. When do I say anything about my "creator?" I'm not affiliated with any religion, but study each and their customs, as well as the people in their communities and the response to integration, with a completely unbiased approach. I'm sorry, but you're simply not on track with the subjects and it's making it very hard to retort.

Let's agree to disagree on this subject, and return the the OP.

I believe Atheism is the complete absence in a god of any form. Not necessarily God in a religion, but any god, as in creator or provider, as believed in many ancient religions, and some now.

I then ask the Atheist, how did you get here? It's easy, from there.

I believe Theism is the belief that a higher power created this universe, thus, life. If you believe in Adam and Eve, you're a Theist, as God put created them. If you believe that the Sea married the Sky and created Earth, and from Earth we arose, you're a Theist because the sea, the sky, and the Earth are obviously a higher power compared to us. If you believe the Big Bang occurred and random proteins assembled, and led to life, you're a Theist, as the geometry of the Universe created this Utopia within itself, in which life may flourish. I believe this is much like the basis of the Freemasons. The Great Architect created this universe, so they, too, in their beliefs, are Theists. This may all be obvious, I'm just providing something to back up my claims.

Anyone know a synonym to replace something here? An argument to back up claims that are logic based?

19. My mistake. I should have used creation. I apologise. I would still like to hear your belief of this, if you are willing to share. BTW, I would replace something with evidence. Would that work or were you thinking something different?

20. DIfferent. Evidence is far too vague. I'm talking about an argument that is based on hypothetical information, but through logic, can be concluded as true. Or something to that degree.

As far as creation, I, myself, will never be able to figure out exactly how we were created, how the universe was formed, what, if there was anything, was there before it, or what will come after. I believe that a higher power created this universe and life. Whether it be God, or possibly many gods, created us in some fashion and left us here, maybe geometry and physics combined with chance and probability led to life being created EVENTUALLY, or something I can't even imagine or comprehend. I do not know, and may not ever know until that time comes. All I can do in the mean time is life my life to the highest degree and morality, and if someone is watching, he will accept me in the end. If not, then at least I know it was a life worth living.

I'm not trying to attack you, brother. I'm simply trying to erase all bias, and open the eyes of as many people as possible. This world is going to shit and it needs some help from the able-minded. Join the Movement!