Definition of Atheism and Theism

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Ninja20p, May 3, 2011.

1. I'll definitely look into it. But, can you tell me? What is the force that begins this consciousness during creation?

2. #62 WhosGotTheHerb, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
    Just had a thought.. Imagine mathematics. Ok, is it true that mathematics is just an “illusion” we created in our minds? But we have faith that it works..

Now, imagine science. Could it be possible that science is just an illusion we have created that “works”?

3. #63 ArgoSG, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
    I'm not an expert, but obviously consciousness forms, presumably gradually, between conception and birth. I do however suspect you're phrasing the question wrong when you ask for a force that begins consciousness.

A potentially non perfect answer for you, is cells are hardwired to behave in certain ways, like assemble themselves into ventricles and hearts(and neurons and brains). When this assembly is complete, as in, your circulatory system is formed, cells in your heart began doing what they are hard wired to do, generating the electrical impulses which make your heart work, and thus we get the first heartbeat. I used the heart as an example, because it's not as clear to me how the brain works, but it's going to be the same way.

Faith is belief in something without sufficient evidence. Mathematics is the most deeply established science there is. If we mean anything by words like "real", then math is as real as it can possibly get. It is not an illusion, it's a framework for measuring and studying quantity.

4. #64 WhosGotTheHerb, May 4, 2011
    Ok, I get it then. The consciousness of the woman caring the child, passes it to the child. This creates three questions to me. Does this make the first human a woman? And if so, how was the child conceived? And I still have to ask, what force started the initial consciousness? I agree with what you are saying, but I still have to believe there is an external source for the beginning.

If I'm not mistaken, the heart is the first organ to be created, then pumping the blood throughout the organism until it becomes alive. I only say this because an ultrasound will show the heart beat at a rather young age.. Now, if I'm not mistaken, then where does "consciousness" begin? in the heart? or the brain?

5. #65 WhosGotTheHerb, May 4, 2011
    Ok, imagine the beginning of man. He didn't have the concept of mathematics, however I'm sure he evenually got the concept that "hey theres two trees there", even though it wouldn't be "two" to him. Now, is there really two trees? Or is there just a tree by another tree? Do you understand what I'm getting at? It's kind of hard to explain..

I have to say, I disagree with your definition of faith. Is it not possible to have faith in mathematics? Science? I think so.. Do you? And using real is an interesting choice of words, and I'll tell you why. Real is the stem word for reality. Is it true reality is what you yourself make it? If you believe this like I do, then you will agree that what is "real", can only truly be real to you, no? Maybe im getting ahead of myself...

Also, isn't a consciousness a vibration of cells? I guess it depends on your definition, but this is how I envisioned it in scientific terms. So what causes the vibration? Probably some kind of electricity, which would be the "force". But what created this "electricity"?

6. You guys should check into the experiment by Roger Sperry (which won him a Nobel prize) on consciousness being an emergent function of the brain.

7. If you think of things in terms of "this, then that" you will regress infinitely, and never figure anything out. Why must we always think of things linearly, especially when we're discussing things that aren't really linear

8. Linear? [​IMG] :p I make a math joke.

9. which goes directly over my poor little mathematically challenged head :eek:

:laughing:

10. Linear algebra... I hate it. (because it's really hard for me) :( But it's actually kind of interesting and is very useful.

11. #71 Fresh Error, May 5, 2011
    yeah, unfortunately a few years ago (when i still exercised relatively complex mathematics on a daily basis), i stopped wanting to learn about it because it seemed like too much unnecessary work. the typical "what good is math gonna do me?" attitude that virtually every highschooler has

foolish me:rolleyes:

especially since my ability to exercise said mathematics has basically disappeared. im sure they'll come back quick when i take the time to reeducate myself though

12. Do math with a purpose, and it becomes exciting :)

13. #73 Blunted123, May 5, 2011
    I was reading this whole thread, from the first post, until I got here.

He would probably think we're stupid for even trying to talk to him. Duhh!!!!

Just kidding, everyone! That was a joke, as it is silly to believe a rock with a brain, as well as ears, could think. I mean, he's evolved with those ears for nothing, right? Stupid rock, he plays too much EvOluTion III. :rolleyes:

14. Amen.

"Study your Math, kids. Key to the universe." - Gabriel in The Prophecy (the movie with Christopher Walken)

15. Both are amazing imbalances

16. #76 WhosGotTheHerb, May 5, 2011
    Would he though? Or would he think, "wow! What ever they are doing is really amazing!" I just find it hard that he could instantly grasp a concept (stupidity) without ever being spoken too. What do you think?

Now, please don't misunderstand me guys. I love mathematics. However, can you not agree with me that it is a figment of our imaginations? I mean, if humans never existed, do you think mathematics would still exist?

I think not, but what do you say?

Which brings me to my next point. I see all these posts about science proving this and science proving that. Some agree with creation, some do not. Ultimately, it is up for you to decide. My question is, with all this "proof", couldn't I assume that anything can be "proven" by science?

I disagree. As I said above, this may be what I believe about mathematics, but I still have faith that it works. The same goes for my belief of a creator. He may not "exist" as we try to picture him, but I still have faith that he is real. Can you explain to me how this is linear thinking though? I'm not trying to attack you.. Just curious. I like to think of it as abstract thinking.

I'm simply trying to take all the manmade concepts from the equation, to try to better understand the real solution.

17. Yes, remove all manmade concepts. "I was created." Man-made concept. If something exists, it must have a cause. Manmade concept. Stop labelling. What is? The truth

18. #78 WhosGotTheHerb, May 5, 2011
    Surely you have to believe we came from SOMETHING? I apologise if my words come off as truth. I'm simply asking questions that come to my mind..

No offense at all, but IMO, you are the one with the linear thinking.. Closing your mind off to possibilities has never gotten the human brain anywhere. Where do you think science, language, and mathematics would be with this ideology?

edit: Also I think truth falls into the reality concept, or what is real? Again, reality (truth) is what you yourself decide it to be.

19. There are no possibilities that are not possible. There are no possibilities that are definite

20. #80 WhosGotTheHerb, May 5, 2011
    interesting belief.. I can't say it fits with my "reality" though.

edit: just read this post again, which makes me wonder. Are you trying to say that my god, or anyone else's god, IS possible? If so, I guess I may partially agree.. Also, would we agree that possibilities are yet another manmade concept?