Deficiency in organic soil, need advice

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by RushFan, Jun 26, 2015.

1. #1 RushFan, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
    I believe I have a nitrogen deficiency based on what these leaves are showing me. Only new growth leaves are showing this, and of the new growth it's only 15-20% of them.
    My soil is 1/3 sphagnum peat moss, 1/3 perlite, 1/3 humus which is comprised of ~70% homemade compost 30% EWC. Amendments were per the quantities called out in ITG's thread and consisted of rock dust, garden lime, kelp meal, tomato tone and crab meal.

I transplanted from 1gal to 5 gal last saturday (5 days ago). One key point is that the 1 gal mixes were kelp, tomato tone and crab meal, but the 5 gal mix that its in now has less crab meal, which has been substituted with neem meal but not in a large amount. My original 22.5 gal soil mix didn't have neem while it was cooking...by the time i decided to add neem meal it was too late to start them with it, so i mixed another 7.5 gal of soil with neem and no crab meal...then i mixed the whole batch together prior to transplant last weekend. I mention this to give an understanding of how much neem is in the mix which I know isn't much but I'm guessing it doesn't matter too much for this issue.

And unfortunately no theres no alfalfa, i didn't have time once i got cooking. Btw i have four plants and only this one is showing any deficiency.

What can I do? EWC slurry?

2. #2 RushFan, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Sorry the image in original post was deleted on accident

3. Hey Rush, good to see ya!

Where did you get the idea that it might be nitrogen? Have you read up on nitrogen in plant metabolisms? For the most part, nitrogen is a "mobile" element, meaning the plant will move it's "supply" of N from where it's needed least,to where it's needed most. This tells us that new growth will almost always have a good supply. This also tells us that old growth will likely suffer first, hardest, and more completely (the plant steals from it'self to ensure survival, just like our own bodies with vital organs).

If what you are experiencing is strictly comprised of new growth, nitrogen is not your culprit.

Try the link below. It's set up like a dichotomous key - there are typically only 2 options to choose, before you move to the next possibility.

http://www.weedfarmer.com/cannabis/nutrientdisorders_guide.php

Do some digging, and keep asking. I can't nail your problem down, but assure you that further research, and/or a generous experienced blade can lead you in the proper direction.

Hemispheres is by far my favorite album....don't laugh. What's yours, may i ask?

Hope this helps!

Lu

4. #4 RushFan, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
    Haha hey nothing wrong with Hemispheres! It's really hard to pick a favorite for me since it changes with my mood, age and level of stone lol. I listen to Roll the Bones a lot, and speaking of don't laugh I'm a fan of Hold Your Fire and Presto too ;) I guess if I HAD to choose I'd go with Moving Pictures but realistically I could never contain myself to just one. You know once you settle in for some Rush, you'll breeze through a couple albums in no time.

BTW I've only been an all-in fan for about four years. It took until my mid-thirties for me to get hooked but now I think every fourth song I listen to is a Rush sung haha. I even started playing bass last fall specifically to play like Geddy...a losing battle for sure!

But hey this isn't a Rush thread haha!

Thank you for your insight into why this isn't a nitrogen deficiency, good explanations like that are how I learn. I based my assumption off a quick reference of the standard cannabis deficiency chart but yes this is happening only on new growth. Based on the link you provided it could be iron or manganese but it seems a little unlikely since those are only trace amounts required by the plant.

Perhaps my pH is a little high and preventing them from being taken up by the plant? My tap water is above 8pH, but I would think this soil would buffer that down to where it needs to be.

What I *think* now is that I should just give it a week and see what happens. This girl was transplanted recently and had some very light pruning of lower, shaded stems which wouldn't be viable in flower. Perhaps this is just a stress response to that? She's otherwise nice and healthy and I like to let my girls do their thing and work it out themselves.

Thanks dude time for some Tai Shan now!

5. Just an idea I'm throwing out there based on some research I've been doing as of late, but the problem could be your water. I know you've read that "pH doesn't matter in organics". In most cases it doesn't. But using irrigation water with a high alkalinity content combined with whatever form of calcium carbonate that you added to your soil mix to help buffer low pH will most certainly cause you troubles. All the extra soluble carbonate is reacting with soluble hydrogen and removing it from the soil solution and driving your soil pH UP, in the opposite direction that it should move over time with a properly built soil and a reasonable water source. There is such a thing as too much buffering. Micronutrients are locked out and soluble Ca/Mg precipitate out of solution quite easily by reacting with soluble carbonates, which renders them insoluble and unavailable. All plants and even cultivars are not necessarily affected the same by adverse water/soil conditions. If you're on a municipal water system, it should be easy for you to get a copy of the most recent water analysis that they've done. If you're on a well, that's going to cost you some dough. Where about's do you live? Can you do some research into what the local ground water might be like? Some reading for you...
    View attachment Alkalinity Control For Irrigation Water Used in Greenhouses.pdf

6. Damn wak, that makes a lot of sense. Hhhhmmmm......

Lu

7. Then why is it only happening to one out of four plants?

You need more pictures, including while plant shots and the healthy plants that are in the same soil.

J

8. "would think this soil would buffer that down to where it needs to be."

It absolutely should providing you've used a good compost &/or vermicompost.

"What I *think* now is that I should just give it a week and see what happens."

Good advice. A vermicompost slurry never hurt anything and mixing a little kelp, if you have any, in with it will help "activate" it.

IMO it can't be a very big deal if your other plants that are in the very same mix are happy and healthy. Obviously keep an eye on things and hopefully it doesn't progress but this may be a case of LITFA and be watchful.

J

9. One of the other four has some slight yellowing but not like this one, and the other two don't have any yellowing at all. I sprayed with neem last week while the sun was going down buy maybe it was too early and they got a tan...

Regarding water I'm in suburban Southern California, don't know if that's bad or good but my water sits 24+ hours before using.

Anytime I handle my compost I rinse in that water to give it some compost funk; I also had to add a few mosquito bits to the water to keep them outta there.

Here are some images of the girls, you'd probably be hard-pressed to find the problem child lol. Upper left in the first image is her. For scale, those are 5 gal pots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Just wanted to update you guys, the plant in question is doing great with no more yellowing and I haven't changed anything. I think what I saw might have been some neem oil sunburning.

Here's a picture from this afternoon. No doubt organic is far easier and less time-consuming than nutes!
    [​IMG]