Defective bulb?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Gliese581g, Aug 17, 2011.

1. In the middle of my first grow.

Was vegging with a 600w MH SunMax bulb with a 600w Lumatek digital MH/HPS ballast.

Lights are controlled with a power bar that is programmable (turns on everyday at 5am and off at 11pm the same day). Bulb has only been in use for about two weeks.

I woke up this morning and the bulb wasn't on. When I plug it in now, it turns on for a couple seconds and then turns off. Happens with both of the 600w Lumatek ballasts I have.

I just put in my 600w Hortilux SuperEye HPS and it works.

Pretty positive its the bulb, and the merchant has agreed to provide me with another bulb. I want to be sure though. Would hate to see another bulb crap out in a few weeks. Could something be wrong with the ballast I was using?

What do you think happened?

2. that does sound like it is the bulb but it can also be the ballast even tho the hps works. if you can get a new bulb get it but it it shorts out again its the ballast

3. Thanks.

I really hope it isn't the ballast.

The seller is going to send me a new bulb so at least this won't hurt my wallet (for now).

For all the people who have had defective bulbs in the past, in your experience when do they go on you? Did they never work or did they go within a few hours/weeks/months?

And for people who have had defective ballasts, how quickly did it take for them to kill your bulbs?

:smoke: