Deer !

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by youndbud, Apr 6, 2013.

1. i already know im going to have problems with dear cause there are tons of them. i plan on using urine and fishing line. would u guys consider this be good security for my plants?

2. bump pls help

3. #3 tadtanator, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
    hey man i live in a area with a large amount of deer i rarely actually have any problems with them as long as where your plants are isnt in the middle of the woods. i had mine about 100yards off of a path that was barley traveled on but deer are afraid of our presents so make sure they know you are around and they should stay away for the most part.

as for your tasty plants deer usually will only eat them once. THC i believe but dont quote me is a re-pelent for bugs and animals we are the only animal besides some primates that will eat or consume a poison again and again for fun.

but on the other hand i will be growing in a different spot and would love to hear what other did to keep them away just in case i have a problem this time around.

good luck

4. I personally use dog hair, urine, and fishing line and I have not encountered any problems with deer! and trust me there everywhere in the are!

I had used sticks to stake in around my pots and then I went around the sticks with the fishing line making a cheap defense against deer!

Now im not sure if the dog hair thing truely works or not I just figured might as well bacuase theres nothing bad that can come from it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. great idea!:D only problem i see is when your plants over grow the pots and stretch past the stacks. i guess you could always just expand your fence.

6. i had the same idea but putting the fishing line around my entire plot.

7. I thought about that to and thats not a bad idea although its gonna make getting in and out of your spot difficult.

8. Yeah...but not if he can be like Raiden and teleport!

Seriously tho, I would go to a sporting goods store and look at predatory urine like coyote or bear piss. Make sure you ask them if it can attract coyotes or bears tho. Dont wanna sidle up to your spot and find a bear cuddling with your sour diesel...

9. mothballs, liquid fence, making neem cake ferments and spraying it on your plants (keeps bugs away, too :D )

i have had successful grows with plants over 6ft tall sitting right next to a deer path.....and they went completely untouched.

you have to be vigilant and re-apply, as rain will wash things away

10. Does rain hurt your plants at all? Is there a possibility of them being overwatered because it might rain too much? I think I read somewhere that rain can cause mold, does this happen a lot to outdoor grows?

11. Pests suck! I'm going to be doing my first outdoor grow since 2007 this season as well and here is how I've tried to keep them away in the past:

1) Pee in a circular area around your plants every time you go to water or check them.

2) Predator urine helps keep the deer away as well.

3) Dog hair is great to use as well as any predator hair. If a deer can smell a predator in the area they will stay away. Do everything you can to make the deer think that you or a big nasty predator is in the area and they will be scared away.

I've never had a plant ate by deer, I just did what I listed above and got lucky because there are deer EVERYWHERE where I grow.

In my area the #1 problem I ALWAYS run into is SLUGS. Those punks munch on my leaves every single summer I've ever grown outdoors. Plants are especially vulnerable when they are young it seems, I've had all the fan leaves stripped off my young plants overnight before. To counter the slugs I had to make beer traps, they love beer and they'll slip into a small container of beer and drink themselves to death. You need to change it every week or so because it will fill up quickly and if it isn't deep enough to drown in they will survive and eat your plants.

12. Not as good as a dog!