Deer Hunting?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by shermdawg767, Jun 10, 2014.

1. I've always wanted to go hunting just because it sounds like an awesome experience and I want to learn how to kill, process, and store my own meat.

I'd like to start this upcoming deer season but I'm not sure how to move forward with it. I know first I need to take a hunters safety course and get a hunting license but can anyone give advice on everything I should be prepared to have, know, and do.

Any knowledge from those who have experience is appreciate. Thanks GC!

"Wait! We can't stop here, this is bat country!"- Fear and Loathing

2. For your first time, I'd recommend going with well seasoned hunters and trackers, especially if they know your local flora and fauna as well - you want a solid training foundation to work from. It'll give you a great advantage if you're with someone who is knowledgeable of your environment, because it'll key you in to animal behavior, what they eat, and where they eat and drink. It also depends on how you want to hunt, whether you want to actually track the animal down, or just wait at a watering hole until an animal comes around. I'd recommend the latter for the first time, because tracking is an art form in itself.

It's obvious, but a quality knife along with your hunting tool will be extremely important. I would point you in the direction of Mora knives - I own a couple of these knives for my training in indigenous living skills, bushcraft, hunting, etc. and they're the finest blades I've ever worked with. They're durable workhorses, shaving sharp from the box, and cheap as hell too! http://store.acmeapproved.com/mora-morakniv-classic-no-2.html?gclid=CImYmeCa9L4CFQqDfgod5a0A-A I don't have anything bad to say about these knives - they're higher quality than most $100+ knives, and a quarter of the price.  

There are an ample amount of different models and designs to choose from as well, I'm just showing you one example. I would recommend a carbon steel knife, as it maintains a good edge a lot longer than stainless steel does. However, if you live in a more humid or wet climate, carbon steel has a tendency to rust on you, but if you maintain your blade, then it won't be a problem.

Away from basic tools, what you'll need is largely dependent on what environment you'll be hunting in. What region of the U.S. do you live in?

3. #3 shermdawg767, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
    I live in the southeast part of the country. It tends to be humid majority of time. Thanks for the advice, I do have friends who are more experienced hunters but I barely see them now but I guess this could could be a good way to meet again. I'm sure they would be glad to teach me

4. #4 doob3r, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
    best advice you could get. Super sweet avatar too lol. You said south east what state I'm down here GA depending on where your at I may be able to help you find free field classes on track ID, navigation and some other stuff I did them as a kid and then again at 25 because it's that fun.

5. Your already hearing good advice...
    I will say for me the entire experience... fucking amazing....
    Taking the life i intend to consume... gutting it and carrying it out of the woods... skining and butchering.... really felt in touch with the life i was consuming..
    Not to mention how good I feel on that diet....

6. I'm down in Louisiana

7. World capital of deer hunting here in SoDak. Minnesota has great spots too.

8. #8 NativeGanja, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
    I'm from the high desert of Arizona, but I lived in Florida for several years, so I'm familiar with the southeast as well. Like doob3r said, tracking classes are great! Tracking an animal is like being nature's Sherlock Holmes lol. As you're tracking, normal tracks and scat will disappear, so you have to pay attention to disturbed grasses, broken plants, chewed on bark etc. and general subtle nuances in the earth beyond that point. All of which are clues which will lead you closer to the money, so to speak. It's thrilling man. The animals movements will come to life in your mind, and you just learn so much about the animals and their habits. It sounds strange, but when you're tracking, you want to be the animal that you're tracking - let's say you're hunting deer, you have to move how the deer would move in the woods. The San Bushmen in Africa do the same thing, they'll actually mimic the animals they're tracking, giving you insight into their nuances of behavior and movements. If you want to go the extra mile, like I said, learn about the plants! Using a small example, there's a plant called lambsquarters, it's a wild edible salad green that you find here in Arizona and all over the rest of the country, but it's also a staple for rabbits. Whenever I trap rabbits (snares, deadfalls, etc.) I'll use lambsquarters as bait, and it works like a charm. I could just as easily use peanut butter, raisins, cactus fruits, etc. but it opens a new market for different animals that I don't intend on trapping to potentially be in the traps. So knowing your region's plants will help specialize your training and your skills. But anyway, I'm kinda rambling on. Just start basic and work your way up man. Get in contact with those friends again and ask them to teach you, and go from there. If there are any hunting associations in your area, try to get involved. Attend gun shows, traditional/primitive archery shows, and even flintknapping, indigenous skills and bushcraft gatherings - even though they might be indirectly involved with what you want to learn, you'll meet people who are seasoned hunters and woodsmen who can shed a wealth of knowledge your way. All about networking. Also, something often overlooked, but use the internet and your local library for tons of information! Free of charge. 

Check out Dave Canterbury's channel on youtube, he has a shit load of awesome hunting videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters   He also lives in the eastern woodlands, so it's a similar region to where you're from. He's just one of many great sources of information.