Deer Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 420 Warrior, Dec 16, 2020.

1. I've been a South GA deer hunter quite literally all my life, since 1974 when I was just a 4 year old little kid and my dad would let me sit on the stand at his feet and nudge me with his boot when I couldn't sit still...lol

I've since grown up and for me, hunting is like religion and I can't imagine my life not getting out there and being one with nature, trying to hunt something that's smarter than me in his own environment, there's nothing really like it anywhere else.

Of course I've bagged my share of trophy bucks over the years and it's a thrill like no other to actually out smart a huge buck that usually is one of the most elusive creatures on the planet.

That being said, for us it's more about putting fresh meat in the freezer for my family to eat good on throughout the whole year.

I'm certain that many people here are hunters as well and have many stories to tell, as do I, but this starter piece is just to kick it off and invite others to join in and get the hunting discussion going.

What gun(s) do you use?
    Bow(s)?
    What environment do you prefer?
    Stands?
    Calls?
    Camo?
    Sint's?
    Whatever?

Anything pertaining to deer hunting that you'd like to share, this is the place to do it...Enjoy!

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  2. I was logging in southern Oregon
    At lunch time the crew all sat on logs and ate their lunch .
    At the same time this small herd of deer came down the mountain everyday.
    I had my F250 ford truck with the doors open and the rear sliding window open with my stereo playing fairly loud .
    This herd of deer had some baby deer in the herd , the baby deer kind a hopped up and down to the music ,it was cool to watch .
    This went on everyday for a few weeks .
    One day there was a baby buck that jumped in the cab of my truck with its head out of the back sliding glass window kind a bouncing up and down to the music .
    Haven't had the heart to shoot a deer with a gun sense .
    Now I use a Canon camera with 100 to 400 MM lens
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. Deer hunting would be more of a sport, if the deer were able to shoot back!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Love to deer hunt grew up doing it on a farm my dad grew up on. 18 years and going.

Got two deer this year. Im in upper mid west. Took them with a Mossberg 12ga. 20201121_110142.jpg 20201121_094939.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. When I hunt up in Wyoming I use a model 77 Ruger 338 Winchester Mag
    but that is normally for elk .
    Never hunter deer with a shot gun,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tc encore 7mm-08 but next yr going back to pistol Most likely a 10mm or a 7mm-08 pistol depending where i go .. been a few yrs since ive harvested one but lost some locations to hunt

• Like Like x 1
  7. Here in my state theres a magical line. North that line you can use a rifle. south of that line is shotgun only.

With a riffled barrel and i shoot Saboted slugs its just like a rifle but i can shoot through a 1 inch diameter tree and still hit the deer. 3 bucks a round though. but worth it.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. How about deer with laser beams attached to their heads. :love-m3j:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. [​IMG]
    My deer antler work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  10. My dads into straight razors and has made a couple handle parts with deer horn.

Fucking awesome work!!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  12. Got this sitting over my computer. The only deer i shoot with a bow. Got it at 15 with a 42 pound recurve bow. My dad said i hunted with that he get a compound one for Christmas. long story short i shot it in about 15 mins in stand on the same day i got my permit to drive. Shot it perfect right across top of heat 15 yards away. When we found it about 50 yards away all my dad could say was "you lucky little shit". After that me and my dad got into shooting bow in competition and he even got good enough to go down to vegas to shoot in the nation wide championship. My dads friend from back in his day we ran into next day and worked for redwing boot company and ran it through there boiler water deal to make leather at work to get the skull clean for me.
    20201218_181319.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. I bring 'em in close with some corn or water, then start blasting.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. lol fish in a barrel

i mean deer

• Like Like x 1
  15. I got my first deer in 1980 when I was 10 yrs old. He was a 12 pointer that weighed 278 lbs dressed out.

I got him with a Winchester 30/30 lever action that my dad had the stock cut down on, to make it where I could hold it to my shoulder.

I hunt with a pre 1964 Winchester model 70 30/06 now.

Pre 64 model 70 Winchester’s were made by hand and are fine tuned machines and highly collectible by gun enthusiasts.

Snipers in Vietnam were trading in their Remingtons for these guns because they’re so reliable and accurate.

If you are lucky enough to even find one, I highly recommend making the investment, they only go up in value and a good one will set you back about $1500 but worth every penny.

A word of caution, never buy any vintage gun until you have it checked out by a professional collector or gun Smith to make sure it’s a legit good deal.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Never seen Austin Powers eh? :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. 2https://youtu.be/uFJz2IMUeDE

18. That's illegal in some states

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. I have never seen a deer dress out at 278 LBS .
    That had to be a worlds record ?

• Funny Funny x 1