Deer Hunting - For or Against?

Discussion in 'General' started by EaglesFan75, Dec 1, 2007.

1. I'm in a wheelchair, so I can't do it. But I honestly think if I was physically able to, I still don't think I would be able to kill anything.

I do understand and am for hunting as it cuts down on the deer population every winter.

It seems that some, if not most, anti-hunting activists don't seem to understand that if hunting wasn't done, the deer would slowly die of starvation because of the lack of food. I would rather it die quickly and be used for something, than to die slowly and suffer.

Luckily, all of the hunters I know personally are very respectful towards the sport and use it to their advantage for food. I could just imagine some of these yahoos who get licenses and shoot anything that moves and leave it there to die.

2. I am against the sport, but I support it if the hunter is doing it for food.

3. I'm a vegaterian and I am pro-hunting (and fishing).

The thing is- going out and shooting a wild animal is a hell of a lot more humane than buying meat from a factory farm (about 75% of the industry).

That is- if you know what your doing as a hunter.........

4. i don't hunt but I'm not against it. What most anti-hunting activist don't understand is the conservationist/naturalistic side of hunting. They just assume it's a bunch of shitheads running around with automatic weapons slaughtering deer (although those people do exist). Most hunters I've met take a lot of moral cues from native americans, and respect the symbiotic relationship between land, animal and man.

My friend and I plan on hunting wild turkey with spears at some point, lol. Guns are fer pussies =P Also, mad respect for those that hunt and donate the venison to the homeless.

5. Yeah, yeah. Go ahead and sit there with your thirty ought six, waiting for that perfect buck to come along, taking him out at three hundred yards and praising your victory by plastering his skull to a wooden board.

Kill that deer with a rusty swiss army knife, then I'll be impressed.

:p

6. Very good post. There needs to be some semblance of moral groundwork for us to lay our feet on before we even think about raising a gun.

7. i wouldn't hunt...can't really bring myself to kill many things other than mosquitos:p

however i have no problem at all with other people doing it as long is it isn't senseless killing (as in eat that thing when you're done and then build a tepee out of it's hyde ha) but really...yea no big deal i understand the concept of hunting

in the end it's just another sport

8. But it shouldn't be....

9. depends how you approach it...if like said above you respect the animal in regards to Nature and are hunting with reason, i think it's okay...if it's just senseless killing, then the hunter should reconsider his or her position and donate the meat to the homeless like said above as well

10. There's a rather thick line between 'sport' and 'means of survival'.

If you live in an area heavily trafficked by animals, you have a gun, patience and a strong urge to eat, then by all means; hunt.

But, unless you have an insufferable urge to kill and would much rather take it out on forest creatures than humans (not that I'm encouraging this), there's no reason to walk onto the grounds with three of your buddies and come out with twelve elk strapped to the back of your truck.

11. Personally, I wouldn't hunt for any animal. However, if the hunter uses the animal for food and makes use of the other parts of the body (similar to the Native Americans) I don't see why it would be a problem. In my opinion, the senseless killing of ANY creature is inhumane.

12. Around here, more deer die on the front end of a pick-up truck, than a 30-06. If hunting is done in the traditional sense and no waste is made, then it's certainly no worse than what happens at the local slaughterhouse. At least the deer were able to taste freedom, more than your Big Mac ever got to do. But senseless killing of any animal is straight up wrong.

13. Im for it. for food or fun. fuck deer. id rather they be above some hillbillies mantle than raming the front of my impala.

maybe its just cause i live where deer run LITERALLY rampant. i see em hoppin in side of town for god's sake.

14. My uncle lives in West Virginia and i go hunting with him sometimes in the winter, but he always eats the deer after he kills it.

15. i am a hunter if there is a huge doe that wieghs like 300 pounds and then a 150 buck but is a 10 pointer i would much rather shoot the doe im in hunting for the meat no steak compares to deer steak
    the smoke ring bologna is also very good

16. I think it should only be done only with fully automatic assault rifles :smoke: joke..

17. Deer meats taste really good.....

18. As long as the meat is used I can't see a problem with it.

But yeah, alot of people odn't understand the problems over deer overpopulation

19. i do not believe deer will starve from over population. they eat "green plants in the spring and summer. In the fall, it eats corn, acorns and other nuts. In the winter, it eats the buds and twigs of woody plants."

source:http://www.nhptv.org/NatureWorks/whitetaileddeer.htm

i do not think those things are scarce in the woods.

20. Lol, yes you can mate.

You don't chase down the deer. You hide and wait for them to come to you. All you gotta do is get out to a place where its allowed.

I've never hunted for deer, but I want to!