Deep Water Culture....problems

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Thatherton, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

I'm currently on my third try with a deep water culture system, and so far, I'm 0-3. I've built my own systems, first going with a 50 gallon rubbermaid container with 6 holes in the lid, and 2 airstones. This system seemed to work fine, but there wasn't enough room for 6 plants, and it seemed like a lot of wasted water and nutrients, so I switched over to five gallon buckets.

With the bigger container, I seemed to get a lot of initial growth, but I kept running into root rot. The guy I buy my nutrients from originally told me not to let the roots get into the water, as they would drown. He said to keep the roots suspened just above the waterline and to let the spray moisten the roots, even going so far as to trim roots on some of the tomato plants and such he had in his shop. I followed his advice, and did seem to get good initial results, but I had a bout of kidney stones and couldn't keep up the plants as I should have. The roots hit the water, and after really flourishing for awhile, got the root rot and died.

Next, I switched to the buckets, and I must say that they are much easier to deal with. Easier to change water, controlled environment, etc. But both grows I've tried have fallen to root rot again.

So I guess my basic question is; should the roots be submerged? If so, how can I prevent root rot? i don't really have the money for most of the pre-packaged systems, and honestly, can't see how they're any different than what I'm using now. I'm almost ready to go back to soil. The two plants I have now were started on SEPTEMBER 28, 2011. Thats 6 months ago!!!!! The poor devils have battled through root rot twice and had their roots trimmed, but are still hanging on (Don't ask me why I haven't just started over...I guess 'cause they're almost tall enough to switch over to the sodium bulb and begin flowering.)

ANY help here would be greatly appreciated, as I feel I'm wasting time and money.

2. How much air is pumping in your buckets and how warm is your water? I keep my roots completely under water.

3. Each bucket has its own airstone and pump. The temp is about 80-82 degrees, which I have just been told is too hot and the probable cause of the root rot. I'm about to invest in some insulating wrap for the outside of the buckets and have put mylar on the lids to try and block out some of the light. On recommendation, I also put some ice in the water to bring the temp down temporarily.

Did you make your own system or buy a pre-package? Have you ever had probs with root rot?

Guy also recommended Aqua-something as an additive to prevent root rot.

4. what line of nutes are you running? they are for hydro right? also have you been checking and making sure the ph is within the right parameters? and also do you check the ppm of the water you give them after you put the nutes in? and yes temps are a little high for the solution, aeration of water is a must but circulation also helps the root breath. so maybe if you can figure out how to agitate the water more without raising temps..your roots can be fully submerged you just have to make sure they stay very well aerated....