Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Decarbing process

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by bud&booty, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Hey guys, so posted in here recently but still need a little clarification. Should u grind your bud before or after decarbing it? Also after decarbing your bud (240 for 40 mins right?), what do u all think is the best way to enhance or maintain its potency for edibles: mixing with nut butter and eating, baking with it for brownies, or using it to make firecrackers (so that it bakes but not for as long as it would with brownies)?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. Also, and this may be a dumb question, but if you're making brownies/cookies/etc then after decarbing, would u still use the decarbed weed to make canna-oil or would u just mix it in with the normal oil (w/o heating it or anything) and then make the batter?

• Like Like x 1
  3. You asked some good questions. You've got the decarb time and temp down. Through testing PsychedelicSam (Tincture guru on this forum) has determined the buds can be decarbed whole. Now the rest of it depends on you. Some folks like to grind the herb very fine and just add it to the oil/mix and cook with the bud in the batter. This way you get 100% of the THC. If you use your herb to make oil, then strain the cannabis from the oil some of the goodies will be left behind, but you'll have much better tasting edibles. I don't think one preparation preserves potency better than any other. Just be sure to keep things for later use keep in your freezer. Enjoy your edibles, mate.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. #4 bkarnaze, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    It doesn't matter much whether you grind before or after decarb. I prefer after, because the herb is less sticky.
    240 F for 40 min is optimal.
    Once the herb is decarbed, it doesn't matter a lot what you do with it, and all of these things will be roughly equal in total potency:
    (1) Mix with nut butter or nutella, let stand awhile, and eat.
    (2) Bake with it, but this can destroy thc, so be careful. No bake desserts, or short bake cookie mixes work well. I have little experience determining how much thc is destroyed tho. My last batch of cookie mix was baked at 350 F for 8 minutes, and they seemed about as potent as expected.
    (3) Soak in 190 proof everclear to make tincture or feco.
    (3) Add oil, and put well mixed into capsules, but be sure to add enough oil. These can require ingesting several pills. The herb will settle to the bottom of the capsules, not allowing it to mix well with the herb, so lots of prior agitation is needed. Magical Butter Machine works well for this.
    (4) Put it into capsules dry, and ingest. This doesn't work as well for me, because it has a ferocious, but shorter-lived high, and I want long ones for sleep. Most of us need some oil for better digestion.

The important thing is accurate decarb (oven thermometer needed), followed by not too much more heat. Edible making is very easy if you don't over-think it.

Also very important is to keep track of how much herb goes into how much final product, so that dosage can be managed.

Firecrackers are also very potent, but I don't trust the decarb times. Even then, they are very close to the potency of decarbed herb, and are a viable substitute.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks to both of you, very helpful!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Good advice.
    The thc loss from straining has been quantified, and it's about 50% for oils, and just a few percent for 190 everclear tincture/feco. Google the High Times Ultimate Cannabutter Experiment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Are there any other goodies to make, quickly, besides firecrackers? I don't smoke

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

8. Plain canna oil
    Decarb weed (240 F 40 minutes
    Mix with just enough Coconut oil or Butter to make mud-sludge with.
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Done.
    BNW

5 grams decarbed hash
    1 tablespoon oil
    1/2 teaspoon lecithin
    My standard mix. Makes 30 (0) sized capsules. Really mind bending strong ones.