Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Decarb in Hot Car (summer)

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by rob121214, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Would this work? Decarbing herb in a hot car with windows and doors closed on a hot summer day with temps in mid 90s.

Also would it give off a smell if the car doors are closed? I thought that this might work since the inside of a car could reach 170 degrees F on a hot day. I would probably wrap it in tin foil then put it in a sandwhich bag so it doesn't smell tooo bad.

But would Decarboxylation occur? I'm asking cause i want to avoid Decarbing inside the house :/

2. Depends on the weather, color of the car, and location. I have it can easily get over 150f. I might put an oven thermometer in with it. Check the high any how.

I would say if you did this here in So Ca absolutely it would work. I would make a nice aluminum foil pouch and double roll the edges. If smell is a concern I would put that in a sealed turkey bag.

Let us know how it work and what you use it in happy medables

3. Not sure if it will get up to tempature, if worse come to worse you can put the aluminum pouch somewhere in your engine and drive around a it, it would deff. Get hot just good luck controlling the tempature. Cheer!

4. It definitely does work because I've done it. I live in Arizona which didn't hurt. I used a Whitman's Chocolates Sampler tin and just put it on my dashboard. It will take a little longer. Mrsilly's idea of placing a thermometer in your package is a good one and now has got me curious. I think I'll go out and check it out. If you know the temp inside the can or foil then you can determine the length for the decarb. [​IMG]

5. Yes it will definitely work. But you should figure out how hot it is getting in your car, to know how long you have to leave it in for. Put an oven thermometer or a meat thermometer in your car on a hot sunny day. How hot do cars get? It could be like 170 degrees on your dashboard. Depending on where you live and the color of your interior.

Decarboxylation occurs naturally over time. It just takes a long time at room temperature. The hotter it gets, the quicker it decarbs. So if it gets up to 220 F, it will take only 2 hours to get an optimum result. At 240 F, it's only an hour. You don't want to go hotter than that. I wouldn't recommend putting it by your engine, unless you have a good way to monitor the temp.

So this is just an educated guess, but if we assume it will get up to 170-180 degrees, you probably want to leave it in there all day. And if you don't want to put it on the dashboard, you might want to leave it in there for two days.

6. Yea i didn't actually try this, but I bet it would work in Arizona as someone stated