Decarb for THC VG/PG vape liquid?

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by NeonFire, May 14, 2020.

1. Hi all,

My apologies if this has been asked before (I'm new here)

I was looking into the THC vape juice using the crock pot method, and struggling to find a definitive answer to whether I should decarboxylate the flower before throwing it in a crock pot with some VG/PG liquid.

I will be using a standard vape pen (small box mod with normal coil)

As far as I can understand it there are a lot of tutorials about online that go a little like this:

Decarb the flower for approx 30 mins or until light brown

Put it directly into the crock pot (not in a mason jar, directly in the pot) with 70/30 VG/PG food grade mix

Slow cook on the lowest setting and using the warm setting (if the crock pot has one) between 18-24 hours

Let cool and strain using cheesecloth.

I have seen multiple people dispute whether I need to decarb as they believe the vape pen will decarb while smoking, while others insist on decarbing the flower in the oven first to activate the THC.

I was wondering which was actually correct.

I know there are better more complicated methods out there and probably better vapes to smoke different ways, but I'm interested to find out more about this simple method and if it will be effective?

I've seen loads of videos and comments saying it works really well and others advising it will be a waste of time.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. Well, do you decarb flower which you are smoking in a joint or bong? Think about it.

3. I understand that it gets decarbed from raw flower when lit up in a joint or bong.

But does the vape decarb as you are smoking? Or do you need to decarb before mixing into the VG/PG while slow cooking? The reason I ask is because a lot of people are disputing if the vapes actually heat up enough to properly decarb.

Most are saying to decarb in the oven before mixing into liquid to convert most of the THCa to THC.

Thanks

4. Well, heat decarbs, if it is high enough. Do a test, make some with and some w/o decarb. You will always get differing opinions from forums and "home made" videos and such.

5. Not sure what method this is but I can tell you from experience that mixing with that stuff tastes pretty awful. I have started putting a small amount of plant based terpenes in decarbed oil 4 pens and it works very well and actually tastes like it should.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Not sure what method this is but I can tell you from experience that mixing with that stuff tastes pretty awful. I have started putting a small amount of plant based terpenes in decarbed oil 4 pens and it works very well and actually tastes like it should.

7. I would but at the same time I don't want to waste any bud doing the wrong thing. I'm not exactly made of money right now.

I'm kinda hoping someone who has tried that method will come along and give me some pointers. I'm not exactly sure if the method I described is an accurate way of doing it or not.

8. I'm not bothered about taste as I could always add flavouring if need be.

And I only have access to regular weed plant. Nothing else I'm afraid. That's why I'm interested in this method as all you need is weed plant and VG

9. interested to hear how it goes! As far as the initial question decarbing won't hurt anything. The vape will likely do it for you but decarbing in advance maybe for a extra step to make sure it works

10. You don't think it will over cook the weed or anything?

Just decarb in the oven then add to the liquid and slow cook on low heat for up to 24 hours?

11. what temp do you use for the 24 hr cook?

12. The lowest setting is the keep warm setting. The instruction manual doesn't state the temperature of that setting.

But I imagine it's between 62-74 degrees Celsius.

13. Place weed in old fashioned Metal Pipe.
    Apply Flame.
    Inhale.
    Ahhhhh Satisfaction.

Take PG-VG and box mod out to the dumpster.
    Toss in trash.
    Ahhhhh Satisfaction.

We fucked around for most of a year with PG, VG, PEG, High grade Kief and several box mods.
    It all sets unused on a shelf over there. Total waste of time, effort, and money.
    If you insist on using the box make high proof alcohol tincture and drip it straight on the hot open coil.
    [​IMG]
    My 35 cents on not wasting your money. If we couldn't get a decent hit using high grade Kief I doubt you'll do better working with buds.
    There is a thread of the fail around someplace I'll dig that section out.

BNW

14. As long as it's under 200 then I would say to decarb 1st.. For sure wont hurt.. Might help

• Like Like x 1

15. Then I don't understand why so many people are having success with it from what I've seen. Some people absolutely swear by it (if done properly)

Plenty of videos online with reviews. Some good and some bad. But the ones that are bad admit they went wrong somewhere.

16. I should also mention that I myself tried a 10ml sample of kief mixed with a liquid. The person wouldn't tell me how they made it except the fact they made it in a slow cooker. The liquid was completely clear though. With what looked like THC crystals floating in there.

Got me high as fuck. I'm desperate to replicate it or make something similar. Mixing fresh decarbed bud in to VG is the closest I've come so far but that ends up a dark green.

All they would tell me as they obviously didn't want me to know how to make it for myself (so I would keep buying from them) was that it was kief with a blend of liquids and cheap to make. Came out clear in appearance with crystals. Smoked and hit like a bong.

17. Even factory Carts are lackluster and disappointing to me. Now smoking pure kief will take the top of my head off so it's not a question of getting ripped. It's just to low a concentration for my needs.
    2 hits off a cart and my wife is blazed but I need more
    A whole lot more. It's just not practical for me to vape the entire cart to get half a stone on.

BNW

18. Well I'm a regular stoner that clearly doesn't have a high enough tolerance to resort to pure kief. A few joints will still get me stoned and that liquid I tried was just as powerful if not more.

Just want to try to replicate it. Best I can do is mix some raw decarbed weed with some PG/VG and slow cook it on low temp for a few hours and keep testing from there until I get desired affects I guess.

If it works out. I'll report my method and strength and if it is suitable for a regular stoner.

I bloody hope it does work.. I'm about to throw half an ounce into this mix.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PG is the better solvent but it's harsh and makes poor clouds.
    VG is a lousy solvent but it's sweet and makes good clouds
    PEG is a much like PG being a good solvent and a poor cloud maker
    Perfumers Apprentice.com is a good source for Terpenes and flavors.
    [​IMG]

An American Dream - White Picket Fences and Marijuana in the So Cal Sun

[​IMG]

We got quite deep in the game blending up flavored Juices for both TTS and myself.
    I have a couple hundred flavors before I finally stopped collecting them.

BNW