Debate: Atheism Vs. Islam

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by lilro, May 30, 2013.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSxIN5Jubus

2. I honestly don't understand why they even do these debates.  Burden of proof always lays at the feet of believers and since they can't back up their claim with evidence, debates are nothing more than entertainment.

3. That's why they do them - egotistical entertainment. Someone looking to score points against someone else based on their beliefs or lack of other people's beliefs. Both have beliefs, and both want to show the other that their beliefs cannot be right. Atheists often think they don't have beliefs, but they do, just not the same ones theists do.

Atheists have beliefs, everyone has beliefs, but atheists have no doctrine...no set belief system.  Krauss was right in the video in his critique of the label of the debate.

5. I might watch this tomorrow.

But, yeah, several things always go wrong in these debates to the point where I wouldn't bother watching for the first five minutes:

"Science doesn't have all the answers!" -Strawman

"There's no objective moral layout for atheism!" -tu quoque x ad nauseum

"You can't prove there isn't a god!" bruden of proof

"Without the love of god, there's no hope for this world!" non sequitur

6. Debating Islam... why bother? I really don't see how this religion gets converts... at all. At least christianity has the jesus guilt trip. Allah is just a pedo-douchebag so why worship him?

7. I got to be able to understand a little bit of quran now since 99% of people I hang out with in school are Muslims... And the guy I'm dating with now is muslim... Islam and Christianity are somewhat the same... If you happen to read the old testaments, it's really the same with quran. It matters on how we are brought up to believe in our religion. This debate really is nonsense... You can't change someone on what they believe in by debating. It's just a matter of respect...

8. You do relize that the Islamic "Allah", the Christian god, and the Jewish god are the same right? All 3 religions are so similar. The main difference is that Jews believe Jesus was a false prophet, Christians believe Jesus was the son of god, and Islamist believe Jesus was only a prophet.

9. You do relize that the Islamic "Allah", the Christian god, and the Jewish god are the same right? All 3 religions are so similar. The main difference is that Jews believe Jesus was a false prophet, Christians believe Jesus was the son of god, and Islamist believe Jesus was only a prophet.

10. You do relize that the Islamic "Allah", the Christian god, and the Jewish god are the same right? All 3 religions are so similar. The main difference is that Jews believe Jesus was a false prophet, Christians believe Jesus was the son of god, and Islamist believe Jesus was only a prophet.

11. You do relize that the Islamic "Allah", the Christian god, and the Jewish god are the same right? All 3 religions are so similar. The main difference is that Jews believe Jesus was a false prophet, Christians believe Jesus was the son of god, and Islamist believe Jesus was only a prophet.

12. holy shit a quadruple post.

Allah = God. I think you are referring to the prophet Muhammed. Muhammed married a 9 yr old. Virgin Mary was 11 or 12 when she first conceived a child. I think this type of things went on in more places than just the muslim faith... Lets not just single out one type of religion or people now. break it down homie

Yes, I am aware that Islam is another Abrahamic religion. I was just using the christianity guilt trip as an angle as to why christianity actually gets converts. Jesus isnt actually an intolerant cocksucker like his daddy (Yahweh/Allah) is. Really once you destroy christianity/judaism, islam is just kids stuff. Once christianity is debunked, judaism falls hard, and islam is just the 3rd domino in the domino effect. :) 

15. Atheist- I don't believe in shit.
    Muslim- I believe in Allah and the Koran and the prophet Muhammad.
    Atheist- well I still don't believe in shit.

Debate over. 

Actually, because Islam builds off of Christianity, which in turn builds off of Judaism, the order in which the religions' beliefs are dismantled is Islam, then Christianity and then Judaism.  Religious conversion is not really a very common thing among any religion (excluding confused college students) and it is in fact easier to convert to Islam than it is to convert to Christianity.  Also, your argument that Christianity uses guilt to win converts doesn't exactly mean anything.  Why would people be attracted to a religion that makes them  feel overly guilty?

17. Okay, more like, the guilt is what keeps the converts from leaving. They join for many reasons, but what keeps them is often the fear of eternal damnation, a deluded sense of belonging. The anxiety from guilt for human emotions/acts isnt necessarily the rule, but it is found in a lot of believers. It's all about how the believer processes their beliefs.

18. "You win more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." -Ben Franklin

A religion that primarily preaches love as opposed to fear will win more converts.

19. win more? wtf its you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar...how the hell does a person win flies?

20. lol, that's what i meant