"Death"

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by paublo456, Feb 26, 2013.

1. The way I see it there are three things that can happen after you die. Rebirth, eternal life in heaven/hell, or nothing. Rebirth seems highly implausible because if your memory is going to be erased then why are do we remember this life in particular. What makes this life special that you remember it. You would not get the feeling of living. Eternal life does not seem pleasant to me. Life will get repetitive. Without death, time becomes lost and once that happens all meaning is lost. People don't realize that once you become immortal life will not be same as time perception goes crazy. Whole millennia could go by in Wyatt seems like a second, life would not have importance and just feel dull. After a while there would be nothing else to do as everything becomes repetitive instead of fun. The most intriguing one is if nothing happens. This is because you can't imagine what it is like. It's this uncertainty that makes death so frightening.

2. Smoking weed every day doesn't become repetitive in a bad way.

I think uncertainty in death is what makes it intriguing, not frightening but thats just me personally. I would much rather embrace life and accept death then live in fear of death, no matter what happens it will happen eventually so why worry about things you cant change

3. How do you know eternal life would get repetitive?
    You seem to know a lot about being immortal for being a mortal.
    Time=meaning? Don't think so..

4. i always thought once u die ur assigned to a certain animal and a insect if you were a asshole in your life.

5. No limited time = meaning. The fact that we only live for so long adds to the purpose. And i'm not immortal but a lot of what I said is backed by actual studies done by actual scientist and physiologist. And just think about the repetitive thing. If you live forever than you are bound to do everything you can multiple times. See what makes life so interesting and exciting is all the new experiences you meet every day. Take that away and you are left with a dull "life". It's this time limit we have that gives life its "meaning"

6. That's true but that's not what i'm talking about. Think of it like this, you can't remember your past life because apparently you have been brainwashed. So technically life its a cycle of brainwashing. The thing that I think disapproves this is the fact that we are living though/remembering what is happening right now. If we are constantly being brainwashed then how is this possible. What reason would there be for remembering life right now. If we are going to be brainwashed then why do we live through this.

7. All I'm saying is that unless weve exprerienced it, we can't really assume anything. No one has ever came back and told us, and if they have, we cant necessarly believe it or assume they had the full experience. What if, and it probably is, completely different then life on earth? So scientific studies would mean nothing there.
    I personally believe that if eternal life is pure bliss and relief, it couldnt get boring.

8. Yes there is always that possibility but like you said there's no way of explaining it. I didn't include it because there is no way of knowing what it's like. But there is also the factors in what you believe in like in souls or the brain and whether or not you believe that's even possible. But that's not what I was trying to say. Basically I'm saying that eternity is a long time. Life on Earth has only been around for a couple billion years which it's just a small fraction of an eternity. Its the thought of living forever that's scary and the fact that it never ends. This is something that's also hard to explain as infinity is an odd topic. But I'm just stating my opinion not trying to contradict anyone

9. Heaven and hell seems highly implausible.

Death is a lie

We are immortal spiritual beings

10. #10 Timesplasher, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013

once your dead no logic or set rules imagined can apply. Eg what relevant information can you share about your experience before being alive? Was it repetetive? You cant draw any information from it so how can you expect someone else to have a clue let alone study it?

11. #11 ytfghmjb, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    I like to think of it as a transformation. To what, who knows, but im not afraid

12. I'm not saying I believe in this, but only that I've heard it and it's an interesting thought;

For everyone who dies, another takes it's place. When a person gives their life another child is born in it's place.

I'm not exactly sure what philosophy it's from, but I just remember hearing it as a child. My interpretation of it is that there is a finite amount of energy throughout the Universe (or maybe limited to something smaller like a galaxy or star system) and when one energy dies, it transforms into another life.

13. See, thats kind of what I believe now. It makes the most sense to me. But that means we could get born as any form of life. Even an alien perhaps?

14. What makes you any different from an alien? Many of the alien drawings we see are based on the humanoid body structure, who's to say we don't become that at some point in our existence?

15. I will never die

16. Are you still hanging around the hip-hop threads, Funk?

17. Sometimes....

18. Shit, I don't really venture out of the "mind over matter" section anymore. I had to get out of those threads. You just can't have a solid debate with most of them. I had to go when I only had one infraction left until I would be permanently banned, not good.

19. Yeah I got about one infraction left myself. This place used to be so much cooler...

20. Eh, I still enjoy it, I just wish I weren't such an asshole when I first joined. I've matured a bit as well because of this place, the people and the discussions. I will admit though, I wish we could discuss more than just cannabis, but no need to complain. Other than that, I have notice it's dying a little bit, some people leaving, threads aren't as meaningful sometimes, but this is the only forum community I'm apart by choice due to the people, the ideas, etc besides my fucking addiction to Tumblr.