Death

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by FALSE, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Hello all you spiritualists, seekers, theists, and atheists. This thread is about the thing that brings us all together. I heard someone say the other day that death is the high price of living. Not sure i agree with that statement, but it made me think that death is the one thing everything has thoughts and/or feelings about. So what do you all think about death? What do you think you will experience when you die? Is there really such thing as death? How do you want to die? What do you think and feel about loved ones who have passed? Are you afraid of death?

I'd like this to be kept as open ended as possible so if you want to say something else about dying other than answering one of the above questions, by all means do so.
    :cool:
    Peace.

2. "DMT" is said to be released in the brain at death to release the spirit from the
    body not sure just something i reed that was researched in the 80-90s

3. #3 PeruvianDank, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
    I will be the exception.

I won't die, not for at least 10000 years.

And when I do, I'll be damned if its not the biggest party of the eons.

No but seriously, I don't think about Death that much, at least deeply. I always try to not look back and have a free ride on my years left. Its like running away, but bringing your shadow everywhere you go. Always watching me, always following me.

Memento mori.

4. #4 420stonedpanda, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
    I think that death really is the end, end of consciousness as well as your physical self. I hope i'm wrong and there is something after, but i've always found it hard to reconcile that thought with myself. I always liked the idea of re-incarnation, because when you die you go back to the Earth in some way or another and then could eventually manifest yourself in something else, but I don't think I really believe that your "spirit" or consciousness will endure.

So yeah, i'm pretty terrified of death, I hate the finality, though if i've accomplished everything I want to in life then I like to think i'll die happy, but i'm still pretty young and even now I feel quite sure that I won't get to do all the things I want to. But having said that, death itself probably isn't so bad, this quote always made me feel better about it: "Life is pleasant, death is peaceful, it's only the transition that's troublesome." - Asimov.

I want to die instantly, no long, troubled transition.

5. I'll make sure we throw a huge celebration ;)

Like the last poster said, I think it's just the end. Which is why I choose to not worry about anything too much, and just enjoy my life.

6. I think of death as something that doesn't matter that much.
    When I die, I won't exist anymore, so I won't care. And if something else happens, this life probably won't matter that much anyway.

Death can call your name whenever it wants. There is no point in worrying or trying to avoid it, because it will eventually find you no matter what. As far as I'm concerned i'm dead already.

Death is not cruel. It does not cause pain; it takes it away.
    Fearing it only causes suffering.

Sometimes I get sad though because i want to experience more of life :(

7. I actually have memories of a past life. I have no choice but to believe in reincarnation. I developed as a child super fast. 2 months premature, held my own bottle at 3 days. talked at 7 months, held conversations at age 2. I was also supppose to be a twin but I guess something happened. I would always ask my mom as a toddler "wheres my sister?" "well why havent you made her yet?" to this day im an only child of an only child. Im also able to read people on a very basic level, I see them as "dirty" and to be avoided ~80% of people and "clean" people, who can be trusted and im attracted to.

8. [quote name='"theinkman26"']"DMT" is said to be released in the brain at death to release the spirit from the
    body not sure just something i reed that was researched in the 80-90s[/quote]

Haha ya thats it

9. since your body is made of cells, if you get cremated and released into nature, you will literally be the earth. i think it would be a liberating feeling. i doubt you will be conscious though, but who knows, collective subconscious?? you will no longer have a mind or an ego, which is hard to imagine. dmt is released at birth and death..

10. Speak for yourself Wind Man Jones.

11. Death use to scare me when I was a young kid. I'd cry thinking about dying. Now I just kind of put it out of my head. Since I'm not religious I don't believe in an afterlife. I just can't fathom being nothing. No thoughts, no breathing, no consciousness. Like somebody above said I'll be dead and won't be able to care. I'm sure in my last minutes I won't even be worried about it.

12. I try not to ponder death too much, I'd prefer to keep my mind (whatever that is) concentrated on this living lark. One saying (that I can't remember the source, all I know is that it's a lyric) that I tend to stick to is: Life is a question, death is the answer.

But death is the main thing that unites us all, we're all going to have to face up to it at some point and we there is nothing we can do to stop it.

I'm also much more interested in where 'I' (again, whoever/whatever that is) was before I was born.

13. What does it mean,
    Endless affliction is bound to the body?
    Man's true self is eternal,
    yet he thinks,"I am this body, I will soon die"
    This false sense of self
    is the cause of all his sorrow
    When a person does not identify himself with the body
    tell me, what troubles could touch him?

:)

14. A song to describe it all :smoke:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku--QYJQsPo]DIO - THIS IS YOUR LIFE - YouTube[/ame]

15. Death is a release, as explained by strange vibrating color 'thing' when 'poisoned'.

16. Instead of burial or cremation, I'd like to have my remains left out in the woods and have the critters ingest me...kind of like returning back to life thru whatever eats me....

17. Funny... I never really think about death, but I do think a lot about living (or lack there of).

18. Thanks for the replies. Personally i am not overly concerned by my own death, although there are still things i hope to do and see in this world. What really gets me though is knowing that all of the people around me who i care about will die someday. Especially people who i am close with, just knowing that someday i will never be able to see that person smile or hear the sound of their laughter ever again. Its just a really sad thought. Its also just really humbling to think that all of this will end, at least as we know it.

In my view death is not an end though. I actually have come to believe that death happens many times in a life, or at least dying to the past. Its more of a metaphor but sometimes when i feel extremely nostalgic and i try to think of my life as it was years ago and just knowing that all that what was is now gone, and that living is like being reborn each moment. I do not think death is the end for consciousness, because i do not feel that birth was the start of it. To me life is like a raindrop falling from the sky, our own perspective is this one drop of water, and when the body or the "I" dies it is like that raindrop falls into the sea and merges with a vast ocean of greater consciousness.

When it comes down to it thinking about death makes me realize how fragile and temporary life really is, and that each moment should be cherished and lived to the fullest.

Anyways i realize this is a very heavy and somewhat frightening to talk about, so i really appreciate the responses.

19. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G2PhFt7NZw]Brotha Lynch Hung Death Dance - YouTube[/ame]

20. Deep man. Seriously though this thread makes me think and its extremely interesting to hear other peoples perspective on death. I think the most important thing to do is not to over think it and live life to the fullest at all times because you never know when they're going to call your name. I have witnessed it first hand, here today, gone tomorrow out of no where. It really makes you realize how precious each and every waking moment is and how much you need to cherish your time here and the people around you. As corny as that sounds, I believe these words hold true.