death the greatest feeling?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by UofABoogie, Dec 17, 2009.

1. I had know idea where to put this but anyways...

Just watched the latest ep of nip/tuck. Dont want to ruin it but it deals with dieing. I came to the conclusion that if I live a decent life, find a companion, and die a painless death, It will be the greatest feeling ever. Better than any high. Doesnt matter how much money i have or what I own. I feel like I have no fear of dieing. Damn...:smoke:

2. its called accomplishment. and yezzir its indeed pretty fuckin awesome:)

3. I swear, the characters on Nip/Tuck have to be the worst people ever. The way Sean's worthless son sent that guy up the river, ugh. Makes for good TV.

4. #4 Alphå, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
    Knowing that I'm stuck on this planet makes me fear death. We're on a little pale blue dot and there is nothing for a few hundred light years (that is, you can travel at 600 billion miles per hour for 300 years and not reach anything)... There's so much universe out there...

And I'm stuck on this tiny little rock with a frail body surrounded by grown up apes who beat and oppress each other as if it was a sport. I'm surrounded by humans on a world that thinks it is hot shit, but in reality is devoid of humanity.

I will never be 'ready' to die, because I know that my pursuit of happiness (which is the pursuit of knowledge) is infinite.

5. #5 MitchC9, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
    Well I don't think you need to be ready to die. I'm not sure if anyone is ready to die. Being in good spirit and in a good emotional state is probably the most important thing. I want to make sure my last experience on Earth is an enjoyable one, not one filled with regret and sorrow.

I, like you, seek all the answers. We have such a small amount of time to find the answers so we will never be content to die and give up. That is why our species have dominated Earth like this; the motivation to advance and apply the knowledge of the universe. It's also our greatest weakness; we are the only animal that actually thinks about death for instance. For those who understand what death truly entails (repetitive, semi-predicable chemical reactions in your brain cease to continue to react), it's just not a time to look forward to. We always think because we understand it, we can change it and manipulate it. Who knows, maybe in 100 years we will be able to implant brains into androids and people will all be living well past 100. And this is why I wouldn't be ready to die, because this future and futures like this are very imaginable.

6. Well, I hold the belief that if you're not depressed at some point in your life, you are oblivious to the world around you. How can you be happy when there are things like the Catholic Church and Fox News?

7. You'll be feeling real rice when your brain starts to pump out that dmt ;).

8. LOL seriously, right?

"Death will be better than any drug." Death is a drug!

9. I agree with this statement.

10. Im not afraid to die anyhow

11. But only after they can prove that your brain releases DMT at death ;)

12. we will all die soon.

Whats the average life expectancy? like in your 70s or 80?

I mean, my old area i grew up in in scotland on a 'council estate' ( like the projects) the average life expectancy was like 57.

13. Im diggin this whole thought, but the last sentence really hit home, well said :wave:

14. I would gladly have my consciousness transferred to an android. It would have to be made to my exact specifications, however, and would most likely involve some type of flamethrower.

15. And some rocket fueled jets.

16. #16 Perpetual Burn, Dec 18, 2009
    Alpha, how can you be upset about Fox News and the Catholic church (and any other fucked up shit) when you know we're just a tiny little insignifigant pale blue dot?

It's like getting pissed off about ants mistreating each other... who cares?

You're confusing yourself with your own delusional contradiction... it's your choice.

"So, don't worry... be happy."

This Life is absurdly awesome... when you realize that, the only thing that'll upset you is that you forgot.

I think everyone will realize that when they die... the trick is to realize it Now.

17. Death does not scare me. When I was younger, the thought of simply ceasing to exist litterally turned my blood cold.

What gets me is the knowledge that I will die still knowing nothing. In relative terms. For one, 70 / 80 years is nowhere near long enough to learn ANYthing in real, proper depth. And it's such a short time span; not just when you think about time itself and how long it's.. well, existed, but even humanity and how the human race has advanced itself.

Personally, I believe being right on the edge of death must be a completely euphoric experience. A terribly sensual and cognitive crescendo where everything arrives at a perfect needlepoint for a split second, and it might not all make sense, but it will all be there.

18. #18 Eastcoastfunk, Dec 18, 2009
    i love talking about things that make me wander off in my head. i alway get a peaceful feeling about everything. hey guys long live us. life is what ya make it. i know ill be dieing happy because i declared so.

19. There ya go. Enjoy yourself. :hello: How about this train (of thought):

How much would you appreciate things if you knew you had all the time in the world, and were just invincible so you never had anything to worry about. This is almost painting a picture of heaven, but on earth the incredible value of experience would dissipate as the way our emotions are now; Things would just seem meh, i'll do that in a few thousand years. Meaning would dwindle.
    If we did live forever on earth and eventually figured everything out that was possible in this universe...then what. No more puzzle? Boring. I think we need unknowns just as much as we hate them -- Although I really really hate them. Life is surrounded by learning. If you're not learning anything, and you just subside yourself into repetitious actions, how long do you think you'd really enjoy them? The grand finale (mortal death on earth) could be just as important to the experience as the experience itself. In a way, it's creating the beautiful value of 'everything' that we sometimes lose track of.

However, I'm actually really curious what the death experience is like.

20. I think death is the true/last unknown. I mean, not like your heart stops..dead, but the brain ceasing to function. Can a dead being explain what it was like to die? When I am dead, I will have experienced what no living person has. And hopefully understand it too.