Death penalty

Discussion in 'Politics' started by UU_ood, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Yes, that's what I'm suggesting.

2. Easier said than done.

3. The United States: Where the government shows you that killing people is wrong.............by killing people.

4. Sorry for the triple post, but I think this graph does a good job of explaining why the death penalty is pointless.....

[​IMG]

5. To answer the usual loaded question put forth by death penalty proponents:

I wouldn't even execute Hitler.

I'm completely against the death penalty.

6. #106 UU_ood, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    The surprising thing is that you are actually serious. Or you're at least are pretending to be in order to preserve your pride.

"It's wrong because I don't want my taxes going to it"

Gee, that argument isn't applicable to everything.

And yes you are forcing people to pay taxes to execute people that you judge don't deserve to live (or whatever reason you choose).

7. #107 Nookies, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    Mind blowing how one would think its cheaper to house an inmate...uhh simple math

How on earth would hanging someone be just as much if not more than a 1.2 million dollar bill for 50 years in prison. WAT? Rope costs 5 bucks. Can be used to hang several hundreds of people before it snaps lolol. Unless of course you are referring to the massive wait or something.

If someone was sentenced to death, and put to death within a few hours of conviction. There is no damn possible way it would be more expensive to house inmates for life. If someone believes that..they need the death penalty.

8. [quote name='"PAToke775"']

Easier said than done.[/quote]

lol what kind of argument is that? The systems fucked up now but why change it? Much too hard...

[quote name='"PAToke775"']Sorry for the triple post, but I think this graph does a good job of explaining why the death penalty is pointless.....
    [/quote]

Hey look I can link shit too http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/11/AR2007061100406.html

[quote name='"UU_ood"']

The surprising thing is that you are actually serious. Or you're at least are pretending to be in order to preserve your pride.

"It's wrong because I don't want my taxes going to it"

Gee, that argument isn't applicable to everything.

And yes you are forcing people to pay taxes to execute people that you judge don't deserve to live (or whatever reason you choose).[/quote]

No one wants to pay a tax on something they don't agree with, but a reform of the death row system would reduce the cost substantially. Either way people are going to be pissed their money is being used to house/kill criminals. Why not make it as cheap and efficient as possible?

9. It a completely legitimate argument. Let's hear your opinion on how to make it cost less (less appeals is your answer I'm sure), have less geographical and racial discrimination, less discrimination against people with lower income, etc.. I could go on for days.

And you act like it would be free to make these changes. These things would cost money......a lot of money.

Except my chart is based off of facts.....your study is based off of speculation. Big difference. I'd expound upon it, but I'm heading out the door. I'll check back later.

10. [​IMG]

11. I'll just repost this here... Quite simple, and a lot less expensive solution...

The point is, to eliminate the false conviction rate, only those who are repeat offenders, thus, there is no hope for rehabilitation anyway, or mass murderers.
    Pretty simple. And no it won't take some big expensive overhaul of the court system.

12. #112 UU_ood, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    Now you've resorted to trolling. Just another kstigs debate. I'm not even surprised.

Exactly, which is why it isn't an argument. Saying "It shouldn't be that way because otherwise I'd pay taxes for something I don't like" isn't really an argument.

You can claim to make the death penalty cheap and efficient, but that will never happen. The cheaper you make it, the more innocents you'll kill. Sure, you can kill of every murderer, rapist, etc... on the spot. It'll be much cheaper than putting them in prison. I wonder how efficient that really is though.

13. #113 Henry Krinkle, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    When did I say it would be free? How about we spend some money reforming it so we don't just keep dumping money into a broken system? My opinion of how to make it cost less? Not having them sit in a cell for 15 years before we execute them. It can be fixed by streamlining the appeals process and ending the unnecessary delays that cost us 50 grand a year per prisoner to keep alive. Unless you think it takes 15 years to prove innocence, and please dont link some stupid shit about dna not being discovered yet.

Your chart is based off of what facts? The fact that more murders occur in states with the death penalty? Go ahead and take a look at the states without the death penalty. When you compound all of the murders in states like Alaska, Hawaii, North Dakota, Maine, etc. it's a no brainer that there will be less murder compared to the states with the DP which have on average way bigger populations and way more crime.

States With and Without the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

The soul purpose of the death penalty isnt crime deterrence. I for one think most of these fuckers deserve it and are wasting my tax dollars.

14. This is why i dont participate in the politics section as mich as i used too.

Even the libertarians resort to the same tactics as the "other side" nowadays.

15. Did you actually read my first post in this thread? If you would have taken the time I think you would've realized our opinions aren't that far off.....

Like I said, with major changes I could MAYBE be in support of the death penalty. I still don't like the idea of our government having the power to execute people (but that's a different matter), but under our current system I see no rational reasons to support it.

16. Well myself being pro life in every choice, yet the government shouldnt have a say with abortions, thats a society problem...

But no i do not support the death penalty... The reasons being that morally its wrong, you should not kill someone even if they did. What example does that send too people? That justice is done by killing human beings?

Second its so damn expensive too keep a person in death row... Compared too life in jail without parole...

"The study's authors predict that the cost of the death penalty will reach $9 billion by 2030."

Report of the California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice (2008)

"The additional cost of confining an inmate to death row, as compared to the maximum security prisons where those sentenced to life without possibility of parole ordinarily serve their sentences, is $90,000 per year per inmate. With California's current death row population of 670, that accounts for $63.3 million annually."

Death Penalty : The High Cost of the Death Penalty

Thirdly, its the fact that there are so many innocent people that didnt do a thing.. Either there wrongly convicted, evidence was planted on them, or there racially looked at during trial. How would you feel if your family member or friend or even yourself was put up to die? I wish that on no one, as too why i dont support bullshit wars such as the ones currently engaged...

America shows off the image that death, violence, and people getting hurt is ok, look at pop culture for example... No wonder so many people commit these heinous crimes too begin with, look at there influence.

17. UU_ood doesn't even attempt to make reasoned points when replying to me, so forgive me if I resort to posting reaction gifs to make my point. In case you missed the post I was responding to:

Ad hominem and clear troll attempt talking about how I'm pretending in order to preserve my pride.

Straw man.

--------------------------------

The "holier than thou" attitude is really quite amusing. Keep up the good work not participating in the section to only return to point out shit you don't like. :wave:

18. I dont think im any holier than anybody else. Just noticing a pattern of devolution ive begun to see from any side of the argument. :confused_2:

19. Please tell me what I should've done when faced when UU_ood's post. You seem to think my post constitutes a "devolution". Explain how I could've handled it better.

Do you think I should maintain complete respect for the opposition even when they do not? Do you think I used to be completely respectful? If I've always done this, how is it a devolution?

20. #120 UU_ood, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
    Kstigs, the problem is you are trolling my legitimate point. He sees the point I make is legitimate, and all you respond with is "lol ok". If you're not going to debate seriously and just embarrass yourself, you might as well not post.

My point was:
    This is applicable to any law or policy you disagree with. If you'd like to try again, I'll be willing to listen.