Death penalty

Discussion in 'Politics' started by UU_ood, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Your condescension is appreciated, as always. :wave:

2. Garrison would never fight a politician. Would you kill your own brother?

3. What do you expect? Saying "Well people don't want to pay taxes for that" is the weakest argument there is. Everyone pays taxes for something they disagree with. Literally, it is called Earth.

4. I expect condescension from you. Notice how I said 'as always'? What did you expect?

That's not an argument I made nor does that even qualify as an argument, but I'm sure there are weaker ones. I'd posit your "Welcome to Earth" statement as even weaker than that.

So, argumentum ad populum it is then.

Just because everyone does something, doesn't literally make it just/right. Welcome to reality. Welcome to logic. Welcome to ethics.

5. You just used it as an argument and now you're saying you never made that argument. Hmm...

And yet you still defend that argument after you JUST said you never made that argument. Don't be so obvious next time.

But you're right, I did see a weaker argument. The "Overpopulation is a good reason for the death penalty" still takes the cake.

6. How do you plan to pay for their execution? Short of holding their head in the toilet it's not going to be free,

7. It cost $22,000 a year to house a single inmate. A box of 500 .22 caliber bullets costs 21 bucks :)

8. So it's a matter of cost rather than principle? I'd have thought the ends don't justify the means.

9. [quote name='"gedio"']

So it's a matter of cost rather than principle? I'd have thought the ends don't justify the means.[/quote]

they dont! what it comes down to is that its not right to knowingly take part in the murder of another human. nookies, if some one in your family commited a crime, hypothetically, punishible by death, would you want to have them line up like an animal and shot with,a,piece of shit .22 rifle? or would you rather find a better solution?

10. If my family member killed someone out of cold blood hell yea I'd want them dead. Is the better solution other people having to pay for their incarceration?

Treat others like you want to be treated.

11. Theres really no logical reasoning not to approve of the death penalty for cold blooded murderers. Human life isn't valuable. Theres 7 billion asshats on this earth and all they're doing is killing the planet and fighting amongst themselves.

If we did not have a 15 trillion dollar debt it would be slightly different.

If we are suppose to "value" human life. Why should we value the life of someone that DID NOT value the life of someone else?

It's an irrefutable fact that keeping someone in prison the rest of their life is a 100% complete waste of money. When we are in this much debt to the point it effects all of us and we spend 22,000 a year keeping him in jail for the rest of his life or kill him. 50 years in prison cost tax payers 1.1 million give or take. Why spend 1.1 million when we could simply give him the death penalty. The most logical choice would be to kill him.

It honestly makes no damn sense to me. Especially when no one complains about all of the people we are killing in the middle east, the majority being innocent civilians mind you.

Irrational people are using their emotions making silly laws that just completely fuck everyone else. Mind blowing really..

12. #92 Arteezy, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
    It's a whole lot cheaper to execute a murderer/rapist than it is to house, feed and clothe them for decades. I didn't say it would be free, but it's a lot easier to generate even a thousand dollars to execute a serial murder/rapist than at least several thousand dollars every year for the rest of their life.

It has nothing to do with the ends justifying the means. It has everything to do with the fact that people shouldn't be forced to pay for a serial murderer's/rapist's housing, food, water and clothing.

13. If a murders your entire family, how would you feel? Most likely you would want him dead

14. And if the family don't wish to pay that thousand dollars? What then? What if they ARE will to fund their incarceration.

Who said anything about forced? I never mentioned anything being funded coercively. Hell, I'd rather the prison industry was private.

15. Most prisons are privately owned. Guess what the consequence to that is? They like throwing you in jail for as long as possible over petty shit (weed) simply because they make a profit from it. The longer you stay in jail the more money they make, the more money that lines politicians wallets.

Sadly, most of our tax dollars goes to waste. We cannot pick and choose what our tax dollars goes to, however IT SHOULD.

I do not have kids, nor do I want any. Why should I have to get taxed for shitty public education?

I prefer the death penalty. Why do I have to pay taxes to house inmates that SHOULD of got the death penalty?

The war in the middle east is dumb as shit, why should I get taxed to pay for that? I could go on and on.

I do however think if they made the death penalty absolute and then everyone got a tax cut because of it, I honestly don't think too many people would be in an uproar over it..Unless its the far left idiots..But other than that..nope :p

16. Well yeah, but prisons shouldn't be publically funded though that's an entirely different debate.Note - I don't support coercive taxation if that's what you're getting at.

Should according to who? Justice is a best subjective and at worst arbitrary, at the very least it's culturally defined.

17. I feel like we're getting to hypothetical at this point to really be meaningful, but they wouldn't directly pay for the execution. The cost of execution would probably be included in their payment to the arbitration service that found them guilty of a crime worse enough that they're thought to be a menace to other innocent people and not worth keeping alive to all concerned parties.

My mistake. That was my main point of contention, but I should've realized that you may agree with me. If people aren't willing to pay for incarceration for serial rapists/murderers, then they shouldn't be forced to.

18. #98 UU_ood, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
    But you think people should be forced to pay for the death of one? It works both ways. Do I need to remind you we live on Earth? Earth=taxes. Get over it.

19. Nope.

Earth ≠ taxes. Get over it.

20. I'll admit I'm guilty of skipping to the last page without reading much of the thread but this point had to already be addressed right?

The death penalty process (in it's current form) IS NOT cheaper than housing that particular inmate for decades.

Not to mention the other multiple flaws in the death penalty ( Racial & Geographical discrimination, lack of deterrence, execution of the innocent), just to name a few.

I fully agree that some people on this earth DO NOT deserve to live, but unless we completely change the way we go about the death penalty, I find it extremely difficult to support.