Death penalty

Discussion in 'Politics' started by UU_ood, Aug 8, 2012.

1. It doesn't.

2. i'm with UU_ood on this for the most part..

one of my biggest fears in life is going to prison.. and i think i'd prefer a quick bullet to the head then having to spend the rest of my life in a max security prison.

i say let them rot in jail and think about what they did.. worst case they get shanked or something while they are serving their sentence.. then so be it.

but the death penalty is the easy way out for these people imo..

3. How doesn't it? It's only about $25 dollars for a box of 9mm ammo..

Buffalo Bore Handgun Ammunition 24A/20, 9mm Luger +P, 115 GR, Jacketed Hollow Point(1400 fps, 20 Rd/ - Able Ammo

Keeping prisoners incarcerated for life ends up costing more than a life

4. #24 UU_ood, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012

Oh, well if you want to kill many innocent people then yeah.

I'm surprised many people here think appeals should be lowered. You'd think after the recent strings of death row exonerations, in addition to serious doubts about people that have already been executed, you'd learn your lesson by now.

5. #25 garrison68, Aug 8, 2012

The position taken by some anti-capital punishment advocates is that not a single innocent life should be lost due to an incorrect verdict which, results in an innocent person being unjustly executed. A far higher percentage of people die in motor vehicle related accidents, than death row inmates who are unjustly put to death, yet we wouldn't even think of banning cars. Although I don't happen to share the view, it makes more sense to me to be against killing because it's wrong for the government to kill anybody, regardless of the circumstances, than the argument of wrongful execution. Of course, some anti-death penalty advocates are against it for both reasons, and probably more that I can't think of at the moment.

I remember being in Holland in the 1990's, in Amsterdam, and there was a demonstration for somebody that was on death row in the United States, Mumia Abu-Jamal. I had never even heard of him prior to then. This man was convicted in the early 1980's of killing a police officer, in Philadelphia, but he's got a strong fan base in Europe, convinced of his innocence, which has helped to make him an honorary citizen of Paris, and they even have a street named after him in a suburb of the city. Well, due to all of the legal pressure, he eventually got his death penalty revoked, the sentence was changed to life, and he is enjoying his celebrity in prison while the widow of his victim still lives with the memory of that day, some 30 years ago, when her young husband was gunned down by this murderer.

6. Even if only a few people have been wrongly executed, it's hypocritical to execute someone for wrongly killing another when you support a policy that inherently risks the execution of an innocent. It's funny when pro-death penalty supporters use the whole "well, countless more people die because of _____ so why not do something about that?" and brush it off like a few innocents is no big deal. Almost like they forgot the reason they want the person dead in the first place (because of the killing of an innocent person).

The death penalty nearly made a martyr out of him, huh?

7. Like I said, I can understand why people are against the death penalty but don't consider it hypocritical to allow for human error, which is very rare in these cases.

If Mumia Al-Jamal had been executed, he would have gotten what he deserved.

8. #28 UU_ood, Aug 8, 2012
    It is very rare, but it is also very preventable.

I don't think a mostly painless death is what he deserved, though. There are people you hear about that I'd just love it if we could punish them by beating the shit out of them. Some people truly deserve that, but I have to realize that we don't have the authority to do that.

9. Yeah, I agree with you there. An eye for an eye makes everyone blind.

10. [quote name='"Pink_bagel"']

Yeah, I agree with you there. An eye for an eye makes everyone blind.[/quote]

Yeah but murderers walking the streets make for a lot more homicides. I like seeing eye dogs anyways.

11. NO! I do not trust the State having the right to murder people. Especially with our current joke of a system.

12. #32 Henry Krinkle, Aug 8, 2012
    Who are you kidding? If you want to kill yourself in prison, you can do it. Most people take pleas so that they don't get the death penalty. The only people being punished by life sentences are the American public, who pay for these pieces of shit to eat and sleep for the rest of their lives.

Caught in the act as in the case of James Holmes. Or do you think hes innocent?

13. Don't kid yourself, a human's innate fear of death and will to live has nothing to do with whether life in prison or the death penalty is a harsher punishment. There are many people with a crippling, terminal illness that refuse euthanasia. Yet they suffer every waking minute. You'd be foolish to think that their death would bring more suffering, or that they enjoy the suffering they experience merely because they refuse to die. Not a good point at all. Life in prison is a lasting punishment, death is not. It is only a way out of the punishment.

James Holmes is a very rare occurrence, and I'm sure you know that using him as an example as to who should be executed would leave virtually no executions, ever.

14. #34 Henry Krinkle, Aug 8, 2012
    Dude you clearly have no idea of what death row is like. These guys get TV, CD players, books, exercise rights in the yard. Its not a medieval dungeon, we don't keep them confined and tortured all day.

You're thinking of the SHU(segregated housing unit), that's for dangerous inmates who assault other inmates or guards.

You asked what caught in the act meant so I gave an example. Maybe mass murderers arent caught every day but people who kill in broad daylight or otherwise and are captured right after the fact happen all the fuckin time.

Death penalty is considered a boon by some California inmates - Los Angeles Times

15. #35 UU_ood, Aug 8, 2012
    So the death penalty is even less of a punishment in this case, since they have even better conditions than regular LiP (especially the dangerous ones as you said). What's your point? My point was the LiP is a lasting punishment, and death is a way out.

And again, for your "broad daylight" comment, here something you probably didn't know: witnesses have been known to dissemble in many cases. They aren't the end-all-be-all you make them out to be.

16. i think the death penalty is horrible but if say you walk into a school and kill 16 people or a movie theater and ect basically the only time i think death is reasonable is mass murder

17. I'm sorry but where is any of your proof coming from? The only evidence I have seen posted is completely biased and done by people who obviously guide the results. The lack of effectiveness of the death penalty comes from the lack of proper use and the holes in our judicial system. Instead of trying to break off small parts of it, why not look at the bigger picture.
    Your also trying to claim that life in prison would be better because they have time to think, again your assuming these criminals would even feel guilt over their actions and not punishment. I would prefer life in prison over the death penalty any day, especially if I was in any form of poverty which seems like a common trait among criminals( but not all).

The prison system is suppose to be a system of reform, not a torture center where we punish the guilty. If you want to punish someone and use justice as the motive, you clearly cant push for the most severe punishment. For a murder death is adequate, if you think they deserve a cruel punishment why not go further?

18. Come on I'm an atheist, and I follow, "thou shall not kill." I hope none of you voting yes call yourselves, christians, jews or muslims.

19. No. I value human life too much. No matter what they did, no one should die for it.

20. I think murderers and pedophiles should get the death penalty