Death Penalty - for or against

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ppond, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Pretty simple question

Do you agree with capital punishment or think it is bad?

For me, personally, I am opposed to it. It is too final, if the wrong person is killed then there is no coming back from it. Also I think it is a punishment based in revenge rather than justice.

Poll is public, people can see what you vote for.

2. Im opposed...to the method.

The current system is flawed and far too expensive. Everyone is complaining about wanting a dude who just brutally murdered 5 people with a rusty nail file, and he needs a perfectly painless death? A 9mil to the base of the skull will do that and at less than $1 per inmate. How much does it cost now?

3. I'm for it

4. Shit is wrong man. Dont matter how you look at it. No ones life deserves to be taken away from them no matter who they are.

5. I'll vote yes.
    But only for extreme situations. For people that can't correct themselves and are a threat to society. Serial killers, or shit like that. Also keeping them in jail is a waste of money.

6. I don't think you feel anything with that method also.

7. We don't have the right to take another human's life.

Regardless of the atrocities they've committed. Lock em up? Yeah. Sure. And keep them there.

Their punishment is living a life

full

of

nothing.

8. Thats the point. The current method supposedly is very painful. They just cant express it with all the drugs in their system. If you want painless, just shoot the fucker.

They arent in solitary...

9. Thats so much cruel.
    Just kill the bastard, its more practical.

10. And if the death penalty were made against the law, I believe solitary confinement would be quite appropriate.

11. I'm for it. Saves room.

12. A lot of anti-capital punishment people say that they're against the death penalty because innocent people have received it, but the fact is that there hasn't been a single case of anybody being exonerated posthumously, for the crime that they were executed for.

Yeah, I think we ought to offer some of our convicted offenders a nice warm seat in the comfort and security that only Old Sparky, Old Smoky, and other chairs like them can provide.

13. For, I actually did a speech about it in the 8th grade and got an award for it. Can't remember what I said though, that was to long ago.

14. They cant keep everyone is solitary

15. I don't think that the state should have more of a say over someone's life than that person does.

That being said, even if people were allowed to commit suicide, I still don't think the death penalty is agreeable.

16. Capital punishment is a good idea in theory, but in practice it's not working the way we intended. It should be meant as a deterrent to the crime, but it's not really doing that now. A more proper punishment is keeping them locked up their entire life being able to do nothing normal, but that's a huge strain on our resources. I'm really on the fence. I voted for it to be good only because I think it's a good idea.

17. Prison is supposed to be a deterrent, and now its a society in itself.

18. #18 SouthrnSmoke, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010
    What punishment is more appropriate for someone who will never again alue human life? How SHOULD we punish a man/woman that kidnapped someones kid, raped it repeatedly, and then snuffed out its life?

You think we should support a mans life (feed, clothe, and shelter) after him commiting acts i mentioned above? Or should we end him and end the burden that is his existence? Surely he cannot do anything to redeem his crimes ....

Why do you consider revenge and justice to be separate things?

19. I say.. leave it up to the people.

If this guy pissed off the people, people will deal with him. If people love him but others hate him as well then it is up to the others to hunt him down and kill. Who fucking cares, its all about respect.

20. DNA evidence has gotten hundreds of wrongly convicted people out of prison. While it can't be proven it is statistically likely that the USA has executed at least one innocent person. It cost more to execute a prisoner than to keep them in jail for life. We execute more people than pakistan, syria, yemen, ect.

Most civilized countries have abolished the death penalty and I wish we would too but I don't think it will happen any time soon

Death Penalty