Death investigation turns up large marijuana grow

Discussion in 'General' started by Sh@wN, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Dec 20, 1:06 PM EST
    Death investigation turns up large marijuana grow

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- Alaska State Troopers say a 40-year-old man apparently died in his home outside Talkeetna and their investigation turned up another surprise - 1,000 fully grown marijuana plants in the man's garage and basement.

Troopers withheld the man's identity and details of his death until his family could be notified.

Troopers spokesman Greg Wilkinson said authorities, including the Alaska Bureau of Investigation, had classified the man's death as "accidental."

The man lived alone, Wilkinson said, and no witnesses to his death were being sought.

"The body was transported to Anchorage for an autopsy," Wilkinson said. "Foul play is not suspected. Initial investigation indicates the cause was most likely accidental."

The man's brother contacted troopers Sunday after not hearing from the man since Thursday night.

Two Talkeetna-based troopers drove to the man's home at Montana Creek Road near Mile 96 Parks Highway and discovered his remains.

A further search of the house found the basement and garage filled with about 1,000 marijuana plants.

Police routinely assign a street value of $2,000 to a fully grown marijuana plant. Recovering 1,000 live plants was a major haul in Alaska.

"We would consider just several hundred plants to be a large grow," Wilkinson said. "It may have some effect on the supply in the Valley marijuana market."

After the initial discovery, members of the Alaska Bureau of Investigation and the Mat-Su Drug Enforcement Unit were called to the scene late Sunday.

Four officers from various agencies worked throughout the day Monday to empty the plants from the house. The marijuana will be destroyed.

Resource: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AK_MARIJUANA_GROW_BODY_AKOL-?SITE=AKFAI&SECTION=HOME

- His death was a real big loss in his community, I just recently talked to someone who lived in the same town as him and knew this guy personally. He had been growing for quite a long time say's a friend of mine that knew him.

2. Oh man... :( I kinda wanna take a moment of silence for this dude......... And now I'm gonna take a huge rip for him.

3. theres going to be some dry alaskans for a while

4. That is horribly sad. If you find out how he accidently died, could you post that? I'd love to know.

It's a shame those orphaned plants couldn't find a new home, but at the same time I can appreciate the total lack of 'tude from the side of the police. It was the most politely written marijuana article/obituary.