Death in the family

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Rasta_Man, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Hmph.

One of my uncles died the other night. Both my parents are shaken up - but the thing is that I've never met the man in life. I'm in quite an awkward position..

It's hard getting worked up over the death of a family member you've never met.

Opinions?

2. It's very normal man. It's hard when you aren't emotionally attached to the person. I'd say don't fake being a wreck or anything, but offer your family help whenever they need it.

3. I had a grandmother who didnt speak the same language as me, thus are relationship was bounded to hugs and smiles. During the funeral i wasnt very upset because i didnt know who she really was and we didnt have very many memorys together. Although she was my fathers mother my father took it hard as anyone losing a mother would. But i did feel kind of bad for not feeling bad enough, if that makes any sense.

GL

4. Since I know only a couple relatives this is prone to happen. I just keep quiet and respectful around mourning relatives and try to comfort my parents. It's all you can do really, you can't force sadness.

5. I was in the exact same position earlier this year. My uncle died, but I never met him before. The guy ran away from the family the day he turned 18 to Hawaii, married a 42 year old woman, and gained 100 pounds. He died at 69, cancer.

6. i understand that man. unfortunately, im not in such a similar position. i had a fam. member die turkey day, this time of year seems popular for death. many people have died around the areas i socialize lately

7. Thank-you for the advice, everybody.

8. yea just be there for them, if you dont feel sad, dont act sad. thats even more disrespectful in my opinion. just be a rock for your family.

9. I just experienced a death in the family.. Well, heard about it really. Personally, the poor bastard had it coming. I had nothing to do with his death! What should I feel?

Haha! Ohh, the monotonous absurdity of this existence will plague me to the grave.. I can somehow find comfort in this imitation crab meat..

10. I think that you can really only give your sympathy and condolences... It would be very hard to do more since you never really knew him. In any regards, hope things go the best they can.

11. Well since you didn't know him you don't have to go to the wake, to me a wake is simply too personal. I would attend the funeral though, to support your family and all.

12. Something that I came to realize when my grandma died; death is very hard for those that have not died, hopefully not so hard for those that have died.

i hope that both your uncle and my grandma have found the place after this life that they both sought. know that the love you can give your parents is the very thing that can help them heal them from having the love of your uncle taken from them. that is the best thing you can give.