Dealing with the cold

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Kiraral, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I'm still getting used to starting threads here, so if I am accidentally in the wrong spot please forgive me :)

For those of you who still venture outside when it's very cold (like near 0 and below F), what are your favorite "tricks", for lack of a better term, for staying warm? I work outside all day, and given the recent temps here (New England) I thought it would be worth sharing ideas.

I have made my own re-usable hand and toe warmers out of fabric and rice. Just microwave them and pop them in my gloves and boots. Saves me SO much money over the store bought warmers. I've also been known to layer my hats...like a fleece ear cover thing with a knit cap over it, so I have two layers over my ears.

What about you?

2. Wear layers and dress for the weather.

My usual winter work wear consists of thermals, with pj's and a tshirt over it. Warm socks, along with extras in my bag. Hoodie and coveralls, topped off with a jacket. Toque, gloves inside of gloves with extras in my bag and a neck/face warmer. Usually with that set up I am good outside for a few hours without getting cold (-40 or colder weather)

3. I'm such a layers person. I even have all my thermal and such in slightly different sizes so I can fit on a few at once =)

4. #4 HotDish, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
    thermal under layers... wool socks/gloves/hat... Zippo makes a really nice refillable hand warmer that works amazingly... waterproof boots... a good shell is always key too... will keep the wind from penetrating and keep you dry if it rains/snows... plus a shell is less bulky than an actually winter jacket... and layers are where it's at over big fluffy bulky winter jackets imho

5. I work outdoors and usually layer thermal undershirts/long underwear with work pants, a hoodie and a jacket. I have these dope Husqvarna barn gloves and several plain woolen type hats. My work clothes are all Carhartt's or Dickies' generally.

I don't throw on TOO many layers because I overheat easily as I work.

6. I layer as well.. I recently discovered synthetic undershirts and I wear them all the time now. If I'm going to be out in the cold I usually wear a undershirt (like the stretchy kind) , a cotton t-shirt and a merino wool longsleeve shirt. With that I only need a thin sheatshirt or hoody to keep me warm in 30degrees or so as long as I'm a little active.
    I also wear merino wool toe socks with another pair of medium weight wool socks over them. I have a few pairs of fleece lined pants that I'll wear...or I'll wear knee high socks instead.

I highly recommend smart wool, pricy, but well worth it imo. As a kid wool socks/sweaters was always heavy, uncomfortable and itchy..it's come a long way.

I'm really liking the newer fabrics and light weight stuff...like hotdish said.. F the big puffy jackets.

7. When I do go outside(not very often in the cold) I wear 2 layers of sweatpants, 2-3 layers of socks, 2 pairs of underwear, long sleeve shirt, 2-3 pairs of heavy sweat shirts and a hat and gloves. Keeps me warm and I usually have to take some things off.

8. long johns :)

9. Vaseline on my nose

10. long john underwear is essential for bitter cold winters, that goes for upper and lower body. double tube socks is always good, too, especially with the long johns. a nice pair of gloves goes a long way and fit nicely into coat pockets. a coat that is made of some kind of wind breaking material and that has lots of pockets. i like coats that are synthetic fur-lined, because they're really warm. i also recommend a nice long and thick scarf. they have plenty of this stuff at any store ANY WHERE. I also try to use some nasal spray before and after going into the weather. don't forget to go inside a car or house for a while for a break. even the most acclimated people do this--don't think it's weak or whatever. if you do all of these things, you should be fine. get something warm to drink. it's good to get an inverter for your car, this way you can literally turn your car into a generator in the wilderness and power all kinds of things, heaters microwaves, coffeemakers, etc.

nothing more that i like than sitting out on the deck in winter with a joint and a mug of spice tea latte all bundled up.