Dealing With High Humidity

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by AyeAight, Jun 22, 2020.

1. I’m having problems creating a less humid environment for my grow, since the “June Gloom” started in Southern California. Before I wasn’t having many issues with humidity, but since it’s been raised to 80% humidity all day outside, my humidity has been bouncing around 60-70% during week 5 of flower. Since I exhaust my air outside with my inline fan, the window is open 24/7 and I think this may be causing the spike. I’ve looked into buying a dehumidifier for inside the tent, but I’ve read that if the air I’m taking in is humid anyways, it wouldn’t affect the humidity of the tent if I put a dehumidifier inside. What are my best choices to bring it down, and if I can’t, am I really at risk of bud rot if I have good airflow with 2 fans blowing the top and below the plants making sure there is no stagnant air? My tent is a solid 70-74 all the time. The two strains are GSC and Alaskan Thunderfuck, and afternoon looking up the mold resistance, the GSC seems to be pretty resilient. I can post pictures if needed and give more info.

2. Not sure of your situation, but your house AC evaporates, that alone should get humidity down if you are not drawing drawing outside air

3. #3 King jimmy, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Id say invest in a fridgidier dehumidifier. Can get a good one for 100-250 usd depending on what size you need. Save yourself the time and troubles with small dehumidifiers. The fridigidier ones are the way to go you can set your humidity digitally i keep mine at 45 to 55 during early flower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks, already have one ordered. Can I still have a window open to get my exhaust out (outside it’s 80% humidity) while it still being effective you think? 40 pints model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I'm growing in a shed outside in 80% humidity. Bought a dehumidifier from lowes and its holding around 50%. It will work but the dehumidifier will run constantly, meaning more electric $$ and meaning you need to use a hose to drain so you arent emptying water 3 times a day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 1) Window shut or at least rig something to block the air leak around your ventilation to the outside. Lots of people vent through ceiling. 2) A/C on. 3) dehumidifier.

1 and 2 will probably be all you need

7. Keep in mind a dehumidifier will put out a lot of heat. On average you can expect a closed room's temp to increase 5-10 degrees by having the humidifier running. Depending where your temps are now that may not be an issue, plus weed is pretty resilient to heat. Anything below about 85 degrees is okish

• Like Like x 1
  8. The heat issue is solved by temperature control of the room the tent is in. Humity control that room as well. If you control the temp/humidity of the room the tent is drawing air in from the tent itself will be easier to regulate without the humidifier heating up/taking up space inside the tent. He is right about hard lining a drain hose. At 80% rh you'll be dumping a 70 pint dehumidifier twice a day to keep it from shutting down when it's full. Kind of an added bonus... after the first 3 or 4 bucket dumps you can use the water collected for the plants. It is essentially distilled water. Condensed water vapor. Check the ppm and ph. Of the collection, you might be surprised. Just remember if you hook up the hose and drain into a 5 gallon bucket the dehumidifier will not know when the bucket is full and WILL overflow if you neglect to dump or use the water daily. So you have the option to run into a drain and not use the collection or run a hose outside into a bucket/barrel that can freely overflow. The collection contain MUST be lower than the dehumidifier because water doesn't freely run UPHILL. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  9. yeah my dehumidifer works good. Too good actually and because of that i dont like my tent to be over 78 during flowering but to keep my humidity between 40 and 50 for early i have to have my house set at 67 degreess it be cold asf!

10. Your RH might not be ideal but I'm forced to deal with high RH on a regular basis and have plants thrive easily in that environment. In my experience it's not a big problem as long as you maintain good air flow.

• Like Like x 1