Dealing with dehumidifier heat?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by BlowinSmoke4lyfe, May 10, 2020.

1. Hey guys and gals. I bought a brand new dehumidifier for then tent and it works well n all but it makes SO much heat... i cant duct the hot air out because it would be unfiltered and stink.

The only thing i can think to do is duct the air straight to the carbon filter and have it help suck it out? It doesnt work all that great... but i refuse to grow without one considering the humidity likes to spike at night.

Does anyone have tips on something i can do with the heat? Or maybe a way to dehumidify without creating as much heat?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I have never used one before but I'm guessing you can def get one that doesn't create SO much heat?

Maybe this one is broken even? Have you talked to the company or whoever sold it to you?

3. I’ve ran into the same problem.

I used to have to run my air conditioner at full blast to combat the humidity. It was definitely less than ideal.

I’ve since started running my lights at night with the dark period during the day and it has made a great difference with temp and humidity management. I’ve actually been having to run a humidifier to keep VPD in check all spring.

All good dehumidifiers make heat unfortunately. Only an equally powerful air conditioner can combat those temps.

The humidity will drop significantly with powerful air exchange in your room. The more air you can move, the lower your humidity will be. I run 6” exhaust and 4” intake for a 2x4 tent. Humidity gets pretty high where I am.

I try to run the dehumidifier as a last resort.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. So i have an 8x8 tent thats only half full right now. 2 6” tube fans are blowing in are from 2 corners and the 8” turbo fan operates the huge charcoal filter. Lights are cooled via a sealed system. So it doesnt mess with air in the tent. When the tent gets at full swing, il have 4 6” tube fans blowing air in and the 8” charcoal let air out.

As for now, i did notice the humidity in the basement is above 60. I wonder if adding a dehumidifier in the basement (bringing rh outside the tent down) so i take air is already under 50% humidity? Hmmm

Otherwise the only thing i can possibly think of is to vent out the heated air from the dehumidifier somehow... and that air will stink since its not being filtered!

5. #5 GroBuddy, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    do you run it constantly? I have mine on a inkbird it only cuts on when the humidity rises to a certain level, then back off when they level off. I haven't ever noticed a temp. change. ive always battled the heat in new mexico. I leave my tent open enough to let some of the heat out anyways when the lights are on stays around 78-84. you may want to get a tower a/c I have wanted to get one if I leave my tent closed with only the flaps open itll reach 99 degrees. but leaving my tent open when lights are on works so I haven't made it around to buying one yet.

6. No its set to 50% and only runs when it needs too. I can tell when it runs a lot because temps get up to low 80s after i water them. But the next day its around 78 degrees because it didnt have to run as much the next day

I just want to do whatever i can to avoid running an a/c unit thats easily the biggest hit on the electric bill right there...

7. Can you exhaust the room instead of the tent.

8. Can you elaborate a little more?

9. As in dehumidify the room instead of the tent? To answer your question, yes. I can. In fact, last night i set up a 2nd dehumidifier outside the tent. So hopefully the intake air is less than 50% RH by the time it gets in the tent.

10. Think the most important question mate is do you actually need it?
    What stage of the grow are you at and what rh are you trying to maintain?
    Pics of the plants would be helpful.
    Also go have a read about "VPD Cannabis" you can adjust temps to suit rh and vice versa to keep things sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. So we just started week 5. And they are moving along nicely. I want the humidity at no more than 50%. I understand the humidity will naturally lower the warmer it gets, but im trying to keep the canopy under 80 degrees and under 50% hunidity

Im really not worried about humidity while the lights are on. Its when the lights go off that the humidity spikes. So thats why i put a unit IN the tent.

As a follow up, i did put a second dehumidifier outside the tent and that seemed to help a lot. The drain bucket for the humidifier wasnt NEARLY as full as it normally gets. So, only time will tell for now!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sorry yeah that is what I meant. Thats how I do it when I need. But with good air movement there’s little worry. Expecially at 50% that really is nothing to worry about.