Dealing with a hermie...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by noctem, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Sadly, I woke up this morning to feed and trim my plants and I came across some definite male pollen sacks. I'm disheartened and extremely sad (not really, but I am a bit upset). My closet only houses 2 plants, 1 being the recently discovered bastard hermie. However, there are more plants in the house. Down the hall and in the next bedroom.

Is it possible to let the hermie still go, plucking all of the sacks found on a daily basis or is it simply not worth the effort? I wouldn't have much trouble with this, but this plant has been doing phenomenally well. A ton of bud sites and pistils out the wazoo. Both plants around roughly 3 weeks into flowering. I could move the plant down into the basement to isolate it but that might not be easily done.

I'm attaching a few pics (poor quality, phone camera) and if people want to see better pics, I may be able to get them later today. I'm just torn between letting the plant finish and doing daily checking for male bits and killing it. It's half of my crop. Bit of a bummer.

Anyhow, I'd be interested in hearing what you folks have to say, though I can already guess it's going to be "pull it" but I guess I'm just hoping there's another alternative.

Pics (poor quality as already stated)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. You can carefully yank off every pollen sac you see, but some will most likely survive. You may minimize the impregging of your ladies but it will be a fair amount of work and watching your plants. If you don't mind having seedy bud then by all means leave it.

Even seedy bud will get you high. At this point if the two remaining plants will have more nuggs without seeds then pull it. If the combined three plants will have more nuggs with seeds, then leave it. Actually calculating that is going to be near impossible, so it's really a judgment call. Personally, I'd only keep it if I had another safe area to move it to. I hate deseeding.

3. There are more efficient ways to kill it than dehydrating it. And it seems like you trim quite a bit, I am wondering if this contributed?

4. #4 noctem, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
    Not sure what you're getting at with the dehydration. And yeah, I do trim quite a bit. Every feeding I trim them down. I grow using CFLs and I've found that increased trimming helps a ton with light penetration.

Are you saying the increased stress from the high amount of trimming might have contributed to the plant going hermie? It was just a bagseed I had, so I've been toying with it quite a bit, trying different things. It was showing signs of being a male early but nothing ever came of it. Bud sites developed, pistils went nuts and I guess I just hoped for the best. I can't say I wasn't at least expecting this, still a bit of a downer.

5. I think he's saying it looks a little underwatered. A very healthy plant the leaves won't droop like that. They should be sticking straight like solar panels. Drooping is usually an indicator of it needing water, or being watered to much. Could just be that you watered right before that pic and it hasn't had a chance to flatten back out yet. I try not to let it get to the droopy stage.

6. Oh, makes sense. They were supposed to get fed/watered yesterday but I wasn't able to get to it before lights out.

7. to answer the op's question. if there is moving air in your house, the chance of the hermie pollinating the others is always a possiblity. a small one but it's there. if the grow areas are sealed (as best possible) the chances of it pollinating another area is almost zero.
    leave it in there and the female that gets pollinated will have fem. seeds while the hermie seeds will have the dominate hermie gene but the smoke is still the same, it'll just be seedy. in the end you'd have seedy bud all the way around but 1 crop of seeds would have the dominate female gene.