dead seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by imBaked, May 5, 2007.

1. alright, i have some seed but i was wondering how do i tell what seeds are good and what seeds are bad?
    should i just germinate them and see which ones work and which ones don't or is there a way to tell beforehand?

2. Take a couple of plain paper towels, moisten them with tap water. Place the damp paper towels in an air tight plastic container and put the seeds inbetween the towels. Close the container and place in a warm, dark place.(The back of a sock drawer)

In 48-72 hours check on your seeds. Look for a small white hair coming out of the seed. This is the taproot. If there is a taproot then your seed is viable and will germinate.

Once there's a taproot, CAREFULLY put your seed in some soil, taproot down. Only bury it about 1/2 inch deep.

Water thouroghly and place a plastic bag over the top of the pot. Place it in your grow area under lights.

Your seedling will break the soil in about 2 days. At that point remove the plastic covering and watch those babies grow!!

3. alright sounds good. another quick question, last one i really have before i'm all set.
    i have a bunch of cfls around the house because that's just the kind of lighting we use, but they only give out about 800 lumens...and i know a plant needs about 2700 lumens. would just using a few of those lights per plant do they same thing or do i NEED a bulb that gives out 2700 lumens?

4. those must be the tiny cfl's?

One should be fine for sprouts if it's close enough, but you will want to add more when they grow.

5. oh just one cfl with 800 lumens will be good for a sprout? that would be really nice because i could start them off the maybe grow them outdoor. i want to do indoor, but i need like 70 bucks for just the right amount lights for my grow, and at the moment i don't have that. normally i'd wait till i had money but i want to get this going like NOW.