Dead baby birds..

Discussion in 'General' started by 3WayEnt., May 24, 2015.

1. We have a good amount of bird houses in My yard.. and lately Ive been finding dead babies in the yard... about 4 over the past few days.. I don't get why there have been so many deaths in the houses this year.. I use to go out there and hear the babies chirping away, today I don't hear them. Its sad.. I found one floating in the fish pond.. and it must of been dropped in because I cant imagine it climbing the 6inches over the rocks and into the pond.. the other 2 where just on the grass a few feet from the bird houses.

Either Ive never noticed the amount of dead babies before or something is spreading through the houses.

2. We feed the birds in our garden,and little nest boxes fir them.
    What we find is the magpies and crows will raid the nests.

Horrible seeing the wee chicks squished in thier beaks.
    My brother used to shoot them with an air rifle, but was frowned upon by the neighbour lol

3. If you have a bunch of the same type dead in the same spot, you might have an inexperienced mother bird. She'll figure it out eventually. Theres a joke about dead babies somewhere around here, but I'm way to fucking high to think of it.

4. Little birds in a nest do NOT agree! A slightly larger hatchling may push weaker siblings out of a nest. Remember that birds are just "tricked out" dinosaurs, and most are more like raptors than brontosauruses! Getting rid of that younger sibling means a better chance at survival!

We got (a long ago) pet, Hooty the owl, that way. He had been pushed out of the nest as a very small chick (days old) and my kids found him in the barn. It was amazing that the fall didn't kill him (the boys found several dead owlets during the time we lived there- we buried them).

Granny

5. I currently have a nest in my yard with a couple baby birds in it. They are chirping all the time.

Maybe there is a cat or some kind of other animal in your neighborhood that is killing the babies. 

6. #8 3WayEnt., May 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015

I want to design a net system to catch any fallen birds.. We too have an owl near by and to think those poor babies are falling from that hight.. I might have to net that one too.. With all the other perils of man made dangers in the world I try to help any creature I can survive.