DEA raids medical grow operation with local news help

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by AnuMeow, Feb 13, 2010.

1. #1 AnuMeow, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
    Sounds like these news bastards are just turning over everyone that volunteered to help them write this "news piece". Screw 9 News this guy was following STATE CONSTITUTION.

I know a lot of growers on GC are in Colorado and doing things legally. Be careful out there.

9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | DEA responds to home-grown pot

HIGHLANDS RANCH - Federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents have raided a Highlands Ranch home that was part of a 9Wants to Know story about suburban medical marijuana growing operations. \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t \t\t\t
    \t\t\t \t\t
    \t\t \t\t"Whether it's a small grow or a big grow, I don't think the average person realizes how close to their front door it is," Chris Bartkowicz said earlier.

He operates a large medical marijuana grow facility in the basement of his $637,000 Highlands Ranch home.
    "I'm definitely hidden in suburbia," he said.
    But after 9NEWS posted a story about Bartkowicz and his operation, DEA agents carried away moving boxes and leaf-size trash bags from his home on Friday, all presumably filled with marijuana plants.
    They also carried away lights that were part of Bartkowicz's growing operation.
    In the earlier interview, Bartkowicz claimed his operation was completely legal under a state law that allows the growing and sale of medical marijuana.
    In the past, the DEA has claimed that federal law still makes growing and selling marijuana illegal.
    From the outside, Bartkowicz's house looks like others on his street. His secret was in his 2,000 square foot basement.
    A jungle of electrical wires and water hoses snaked from room to room, all supporting Bartkowicz's nearly $500,000 medical marijuana operation.
    This year, he is hoped for record profits.
    "I'd like to see somewhere in the vicinity of $400,000 [in profit,]" he said in our earlier interview, though he admits he could make as little as $100,000 depending on what happens with proposed laws regarding medical marijuana.
    Bartkowicz says he has grown for more than a year without his neighbors finding out and without any criminal complications.
    "If my neighbors don't know and no one else knows, how would I be a target?" he said in the earlier interview. "I want to be invisible."
    Jefferson County resident Buffi Martynuska disagrees.
    "We don't need it, we don't want it," she told 9Wants to Know after a different person grew medical marijuana next door to her. "In my backyard, you [couldn't] miss it."
    Headlines about break-ins at medical marijuana dispensaries and the Jan. 5 murder of a man selling medical marijuana in East Denver made her worry criminals would come to her neighborhood next, she said.
    Martynuska warned other neighbors. Eventually the people living next door to her voluntarily moved their operation elsewhere.
    Crime is also what concerns Josh Stanley, who grows medical marijuana in a downtown commercial building.
    "When you are growing in a clandestine residential home you have the opportunity for thieves to target you," Stanley said.
    He hired a security guard and runs digital cameras that he says beam video offsite for additional security.
    In Highlands Ranch, Bartkowicz says he has had no problems with crime. At least until the DEA's involvement on Friday, Bartkowicz believed his neighbors did not know about the plants growing in his basement.
    "I've been going full steam since day one and I've never had a hiccup," he said in the eariler interview.
    Three rooms in his basement provided different amounts of light to plants. He worked on a four-month growing cycle starting plants he calls "clones" by clipping off a leaf from a large plant.
    "It's not as simple as putting some dirt in a room, putting some plants in it, throwing water on it and putting a light on top," he said in the earlier interview.
    Once clones root, they grow into plants 4 to 5 feet tall. It takes about 60 days for the plants to bloom - or grow buds that contain the ingredient THC. When harvested, the buds are smoked, mixed into butter for cooking or made into a liquid.
    Bartkowicz got a medical marijuana license for himself after he said pain from scoliosis made it tough to get out of bed. Because he is listed as a caregiver for more than a dozen others, he is allowed to grow for them too. He says he never sells marijuana illegally.
    "Why would I? Why would I want to risk my golden ticket," he asked in our earlier interview.
    The powerful smell of marijuana filled every room in his house.
    To keep neighbors in the dark, Bartkowicz pumped old air through a maze of ducts into a 6-foot-tall carbon filter. It removes the odor before air is released back outside.
    Maintaining the operation is costly.
    Bartkowicz's showed 9Wants to Know his electric bill for two months. He owed $3,694.92, a small price to pay for what he earns, he said.
    "I'm definitely living the dream now," he said in our earlier interview.
    Bartkowicz is only one of dozens of people in Colorado who use hidden medical marijuana gardens to grow more than a dozen plants.
    With the help of law enforcement from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, the North Metro Drug Task Force, South Metro Drug Task Force and the Aurora Police Department, 9Wants to Know identified recent residential grow operations in cities and counties across the metro area:
    West Bowles Avenue and South Kipling Parkway - Jefferson County
    South University Boulevard and C-470 - Highlands Ranch
    West Waterton Road and North Rampart Range Road - Douglas County
    Meadows Boulevard - Castle Rock
    Lincoln Avenue and Jordan Road - Parker
    East Main Street and North Jordan Road - Parker
    East Smoky Hill Road and South Telluride Street - Centennial
    South Sherman Street and East Easter Avenue - Centennial
    Yale Avenue and South Syracuse Way - Arapahoe County
    South Chambers Road and East Hampden Avenue - Aurora
    East 84th Avenue and Washington Street - Adams County
    Chambers Road and East 104th Avenue - Commerce City
    West 80th Avenue and Zuni Street - Adams County
    Washington Street and Malley Drive - Northglenn
    East 120th Avenue and Washington Street - Northglenn
    Colorado Boulevard and East 120th Avenue - Thornton
    Colorado Boulevard and East 108th Avenue - Thornton
    East 88th Avenue and Washington Street - Thornton
    West 104th Avenue and Lowell Boulevard - Westminster
    West 38th Avenue and Tennyson Street - Denver
    30th Street and Curtis Street - Denver
    9NEWS is not releasing exact addresses of grow locations due to concerns the homes could become targets of crime.
    If a person growing medical marijuana does so in accordance with state law, most law enforcement will not prevent the person from growing, said South Metro Drug Task Force Sgt. Jason Anderson.
    Some known grow operations listed above have been investigated after officials received information saying medical marijuana had more plants than state law allows for each patient.
    Currently, state law allows each caregiver to have six medical marijuana plans per patient.
    Anderson advises neighbors to watch for suspicious activity in their communities.
    "Be alert, watch the neighborhood and if they see any suspicious activity they need to report it," Anderson said.
    He says his team investigates every complaint it receives. He encourages residents to call police with questions or concerns.
    "Suspicious is different to everybody. If there is a problem they need to contact law enforcement and not try to handle it themselves," Anderson said.

2. I guess this confuses me a bit... if the guy wanted to be invisible, why did he talk to the news? I did not go to link, was he disguised?--then, all of the towns and streets listed, of course the dea is gonna look into this--it's what they do, right?

3. Wow thanks for the change obama.

4. What happened to the federal government respecting state medical marijuana laws? The DEA does not seem to care. Obama is such a useless twat, he can't even control his own government.

5. Obama and company are lying, fucking, twats!

6. Fed law trumps state, and this guy making this public record via a news crew subjected himself to the scrutiny of local and federal officials. Just goes to show ya, loose lips sink ships.

While I think the system is flawed for sure, ya still cant flaunt it. Cops everywhere in legal states still do what they want. Until all the laws are changed to 100% its in everyones best interest to carry on aas if it is 100% illegal aqnd keep yer pie hole closed.

7. You aren't allowed to sell bud for profit, especially from your own basement/home.

8. Fed law does not trump state law unless state law is in violation of the constitution. Read up on the 10th amendment. They get around it by holding back money. Like being 21 to drink, 55mph speed limit and .08 alcohol level. If states dont' comply they withhold federal highway moneys. Several states are passing measures to counter this, such as the federal tax fund regulations where they will keep federal tax moneys in an escrow and use it to counter-extort the feds.

This has the potential to be the landmark case for Colorado. Colorado is a little different as the MMJ laws here are an amendment to the state constitution.