Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

DEA Raid on your Dispensary

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by BigChamba, Jan 28, 2011.

1. #1 BigChamba, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
    I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct category as it's not actually related to the medical usage of cannabis, but more with the dispensaries working legally under state law that allows such use.

I'm not currently a user of medical marijuana, but I've been thinking about applying for a card. Theres just two issues that Ive had on my mind that keep me from applying. These are finding a dispensary and a raid by the federal law enforcement on said dispensary.

Finding a Dispensary: I've watched my fair share of pot documentaries and things of the like. I see different patients going into different dispensaries, however I've never actually been in one myself. From what I see, theres a lot of dirty poor looking ones but also some high end classy ones. Even if they're all working legally under state law doing everything by the books, I don't think I'd be comfortable shopping in a place that just isn't clean and aesthetically appealing.

Does your doctor pick a dispensary for you and you only shop there? Or are you free to browse as many as you want without even having to make a purchase? I'm not really sure how they work. Also, if you step into one just to look around with no intentions of purchase, do you still have to provide your ID and do you still get logged into their records (reasons on this question to be explained).

Raid by Federal Enforcement: Obviously at this time we're all aware that even if that local state trooper can't say anything, a federal agent could still take you in. The DEA could raid on your dispensary at any moment without a single warning, and for all you know you could be inside the store as it happens and be convicted! If your at home all you worry about is finding a new place really.

However, thats not my MAIN concern as those odds are just a game of luck. The biggest concern is the records and logs the dispensary documents that they confiscate. Meaning my name and all my usage and purchases are on records, they have all the evidence they need to convict me of purchase.

I was just wondering if anybody could provide answers to my questions here and mention anything else to calm my nerves about this. I know theres a lot of benefits with this like the quality, price, and safety factor but any soothing information is greatly appreciated.

2. seems better then getting raided while in the spot with an illegal dealer. just sayin....

and I dont know about the other questions.

3. True, getting busted on the street is always a risk. However, with this system there is no chance, your name IS on their records as long as your legally purchasing from them.

It's just risky if the feds take said records, and find your name. They then have every right to arrest you. :(

4. im a medical marijuana patient you can go to as many clubs as you want the doctors doesnt tell you what clubs you can go to. Also if your going to look at a cannabiss club theres no point of even going you already know whats going to be there like every club has hella good weed atleast in cali. the dea stopped tryin to prosecute medical marijuana patients as long as they are obeyin the laws

5. most of the DEA raids have ended since the bush days.

back in those days i would absolutely have had all of your concerncs. because thats all the dea did, was confiscate files money and weed. all illegally. well patient files anyways.

but if you do get a card, then why not just grow ytour own?

every MMJ state allows growing of your own. infact im sure some prefer it over dispensaries.

6. Yes I realize that they all have good quality (or should!) but I'd just like to go in and get a feel for the place and the environment. My general question was, do you have to show your card before even stepping foot into the store or only when actually making a purchase? I'd hate to have my name in like 20 different stores that I never even go to anymore.

Wow what a relief to hear!

As for growing my own, trust me; thats a huge dream of mine and one day I plan on growing my own weed. For personal reasons right now though thats not an option for me, at least at this time.

7. All the ones i have been to in cali you have to show ID fill out paperwork it's usually very short but it varies from place to place , and show your doctor's permission letter, they verify you over the phone or online and then you can go back and check out the herb

8. Gotta lot of assumptions here that just aren't all that accurate. I'll try to help:

During President Obama's first few months his AG Holder stated that there would be no more DEA raids - though there have been a few they have been directed by the local AGs, not the feds.

Don't believe everything you see on the television. There are so many different dispensary styles it's not even funny. Sure there are low-rent ones, but there are also very classy locations, you just have to find the one you're comfortable.

By law Doctors cannot have any relationship with ANY dispensary whatsoever. Ergo, docs cannot by law assign you to a particular club. You have to find your own. The laws vary by state to state as to how many you can belong to. For example in California there is no limit, but other states have one.

If you do go into a club you must register before you can walk in the door, but most clubs have much better record keeping than you give them credit for. Example, one of my favorite clubs keeps EVERYTHING related to patients on a USB drive (backed up off site every night). If they get raided all they do is removed the USB drive and destroy it instantly.

VERY VERY few individual patients have ever been arrested in club raids. Harassed maybe, harrowing experience - sure. But they are only interested in the people working there and the suppliers. NOT the patients. Don't be so paranoid.

And they don't care one iota about you. Again, individual patients are not the target of the DEA or the Feds. The only way you can really get into trouble is if you're doing something really stupid that you're not supposed to be doing.

I know it's daunting, but you don't need to make it more so, don't be paranoid!

;-)

9. #9 GrapeStreet, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
    Here's some photos of one of my favorite places:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The staff is extremely personable and helpful. It's a relaxed, clean, and upscale environment. A small selection of choice strains, an array of edibles, papers and glasswear, and they're the local dealer of Sheldon Black glass.

It's a good mix between the sterile "pharmacy" model and the laid back "stoner" model. The best of both worlds.

--
    There are many with a comfortable, safe environment. I know many dispensaries do not attach purchase history to customers, but they do uphold local regulations not to exceed a certain purchase per customer per day. In this way, only if you were to pay with a credit card would there be "evidence."

I would say the DEA isn't out to convict patients at all. They're already fighting an uphill battle with big budget cuts and poor publicity. They don't want to go arresting average folk.

The raids aren't (as far as I'm aware) conducted during business hours, or are conducted in the morning when the place opens. This is from stories I've heard.

--
    But the rules are always changing, so nothing is set in stone yet.

--
    Did you mention what state you were in?