Dea Asks Fda To Consider Rescheduling Marijuana From Schedule I Drug

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Nash92, Jun 28, 2014.

1. #1 Nash92, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    http://business-news.thestreet.com/philly/story/dea-asks-fda-consider-rescheduling-marijuana-schedule-i-drug/1

"NEW YORK ( MainStreet) In another sign that the 2014 is turning out to be a watershed year for marijuana drug reform, the federal Department of Drug Enforcement (DEA) has sent up the first of what undoubtedly will be the first of many white flags .
    After a historic House vote to defund the DEA's operating budget for marijuana enforcement in the states earlier in the month passed (with a similar one now in the Senate), the government agency has now asked the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to consider removing marijuana from the list of Schedule I drugs as defined by the Controlled Substances Act .

"It is a good sign that the DEA is starting to walk back its policy of interfering with marijuana research and rescheduling," said Morgan Fox of the Marijuana Policy Project, a drug reform focused group. "Unfortunately, this is a very tiny step."This classification is, most reform advocates say, a major step forward to reform required at this juncture. It is, however, just the first step of many that still lie ahead for marijuana just on a legal and policy level to allow broader medical and continued encouragement for commercial development across the country.
    Just interdepartmental wrangling could take months, despite an abundance of readily available studies and other evidence. In addition, as many in the national medical movement know, Israel has led the world in cannabinoid research for close to the last decade . Such research is not possible in the U.S. now because of marijuana's Schedule I classification.
    That said, as marijuana is rapidly turning into the medical story of the year, it is doubtful that the issue will stall for long. Ultimately in a departmental overview such as this, which is highly politicized, impetus comes from the White House.
    \nThe issues at stake are as simple as they are ultimately complex -- drug-based crime as it intersects with health care. These are the issues very much in the national spotlight this month in New York, Florida and Washington, D.C. (which falls under federal jurisdiction). Both state legislatures compromised their way to highly restrictive medical marijuana laws. In Florida, much wider use of medical marijuana is up for a landslide victory ballot vote in November . In D.C. the City Council unanimously decided to expand medical access and use.
    It was also in Florida, where both the issue of DEA enforcement is ever-present and where a new study showing the efficacy of CBD and THC was introduced into the political arena by GOP gadfly and billionaire Sheldon Adelson, that these issues came to a head."

A small step forward, but progression none the less. :)

2. Had to do my own research. Thought this was fake but it appears to be legit. Would have never thought.they would do this. But it's probably to keep congress from straight up legalizing it so they can still control it.

3. That's my guess. Move from Schedule I to Schedule II.

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.

4. It's so it can still be illegal to posses but legal for big Phrma to get balls deep.
    Do you know many people that has a prescription for blow because that is a schedule 2 as we'll.
    removing for the scheduling is the only except able step.

5. Maybe now those low life pieces of poverty dog shit can stop raiding medical dispensaries.

6. This seems significant.

7. The cocaine they manufacturer here in the states is used as a local anesthetic LoL... there not giving it to people to get high on

8. So what would make weed any different.

9. Being as weed is only addictive to a select few unlike cocaine, its hard to tell until laws are written if this does end up happening. Not to mention it would be funny if they said it should be legal LoL, but that would be a dream come true

10. Baby steps

Inhale the good shit exhale the bullshit

Thats the way to go 

12. Well Sgt. considering its already legal in two states to possess and medical is about to become legal on a federal level its only a matter of time before the flood gates really open and other states begin to form their systems of regulating and legalizing cannabis on a recreational level.

13. This smells a little fishy, the DEA doesnt need FDA approval, they can move substances to other schedules, or deschedule completely, at will.

But as pointed out its a very tiny step, so maybe they are purposefully dragging their feet because after defunding their medical marijuana harassment budget, they realize theyve lost.

14. Ok. You hold your bong rip in for that and I will hold mine in for complete goverment/pharma control over any legal weed.
    Hope you make it.

15. Working in the health field i have spent a considerable amount of time studying the FDA & FTC regulations; mostly in regards to how they regulate herbal extracts/dietary supplements and pharmaceutical drugs.

The bottom line is that no natural objects, plants are allowed to treat, prevent or mitigate any diseases or ailments. Literally, only a "drug" can legally be marketed as such. Regardless of what actually works for the past hundreds or in some cases thousands of years.

The FDA "acquisition" of cannabis is worrisome for the same reason. The root of the issue is that pharma companies want to make money and this is best achieved (in their eyes) by selling patented extracts/synthesized drugs. There's no big money in selling garlic... But antibiotics get prescribed all day long. It continues out from there but essentially that's why the FDA has been "persuaded" to enforce code that only synthetic drugs can treat diseases.

How much money can they make if every one and their cousin is allowed to grow herbs at home? Hmm?

How much money could they make, companies like GW pharmaceuticals, if people were unable to grow at home, but their doc can prescribe Epidiolex, CBD extracts/pills etc? Highly patented and profitable.

A main observation is that if a "drug" can treat diseases, it will be prescribed by doctors and made by pharmaceuticals. They don't like the ideaof caregivers and dispensaries, the common man getting between their profits.

The FDA motivation to reschedule should not surprise anyone. Through their actions in these matters, its clear their intention is either:

Cannabis remains illegal

Or

Cannabis is legal but locked up by patented extracts and synthesized into a "drug" to only be pre scribed by doctors.

This began a long while back when GW began their FDA trials in the USA. Did you know that in the UK where GW is based and profiting wildly off their absurdly priced extracts, mmj patients have no access to raw herb?

The writing is on the wall. If you're going to vote or support legislation on cannabis, think about who gets access to raw material. Who grows it and who distributes. See the prairie plant bill of Michigan for more info. Upon rescheduling, the bill which is already passed becomes active, allowing Canadian cultivators to supply national chain pharmacies with their products. Explicitly shutting caregivers, cultivators and dispensaries from the market, robbing local economy of millions and denying local citizen their God given rightful access to raw herbs.

If you want to support change that's good for us, we should be voting for full legalization or full removal from the CSA completely like alcohol and tobacco. Schedule 2 does not make cannabis any less illegal to the common man, it only allows the banks and pharmaceuticals to legally enter the market.

16. Above all people forget that we are really the ones in control. Nobody should be wasting their tine and energy voting for bullshit legislation/CBD only bills etc. Its a diversion meant to keep us distracted and disorganized. Ie after Co went legal it should be clear that other states can and should do the same. Rather they are delegated to re inventing the wheel, hardly even securing workable medical programs as if its 1990 again . They disregard the progress we've already made and its seriously hurting the overall cause.

17. the government is a mess, a corrupt mess that will collapse under it's own weight in the not so distant future, no need to worry on that issue, what comes after that, well i just hope decent people can fill the void, but there will be a void coming.

18. Falling on deaf ears here. I have been saying the same thing the whole time but if you don't agree with the knuckleheads then burn him at the steak for being a greedy Prohibitionist.

19. What? You have been against any and all legalization, you and floating, and have refused to acknowledge the overall success and impact of CO and WA legalizing for the rest of the country. As far as new medical bills go, people are used to the California, OR, WA, CO style of medical, well, those days are over. Any new programs in other states will be highly regulated and extremely limited in scope in terms of qualifying conditions due to the rampant abuse in states like CA, WA, and CO.

20. Fully agree but it would still be better then what we have now. This is all Federal so State laws remain intact. I agree big pharma wants to get its foot in this market and I hope they do. I wish my insurance would cover my medical supply of herb related products. But more importantly I want the old lady that is brainwashed into thinking weed is a evil drug to thinking it is a medicine that can help her and others.

I have argued with some many ppl over weed and its health benefits and they always fall back on "if it had healing properties then it wouldn't be scheduled 1"

This is not the best we can do but it is better then what we got and it is a step in the right direction.