De-smellification:

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Imhotepsol, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Hey Lads.

Firstly I know this has been covered like a billion times in here, but from my perspective it's too much a case of information overload. There's so many people saying to do this or that, I just want to get some feed back from guys doing ops about my size as to what will actually work.

Firstly, I have a medium grow consisting of about 17 plants in my room. It's an upstairs bathroom, converted into the grow room. Because of the layout it will be impossible to add a tent / carbon scrubbers to the set up. I have to think about landlord inspections and so forth. although I can keep the door to it locked if he sees ducting running through a hole in the door he'll want to know more. (He hasn't been in here in 2 years so it shouldn't be an issue. Just taking precautions.)

Now I've been thinking about building a custom tent so I can install the carbon scrubber but for the next month I'm literally not going to have any money to be able to think about that. I've already put a lot of money into getting everything else for this grow.

I've seen guys recommending the ONA solution, that seemed like it could be doable but some of the feed back says it won't work for a bigger number of plants. I was also wondering does ONA actually kill the smell or will it just mask it, so instead of smelling like weed, my terrace and surrounding area will just smell like laundry. If so that seems a little suspicious in itself.

I've also been reading about ozone generators but I'm not too sure if they'll work as there seems to be a lot of feed back about them damaging plants and humans :/ Not a route I particularly want to go through.

Also I don't know how smelly this strain is going to be (they're DevilMatic autos, and are sold where "conventional strains can't be grown", whatever that means. Personally I'm hoping less smell.) But no matter what way I cut it, in about 3 weeks I'm going to have 17 plants, that yield about 1.5
    ozs dry each, flowering, then drying in this place.

As I said, if there's any tips and tricks you guys, who are doing similar grows, can give, I'd really appreciate it. Please do not respond back if you're doing a 3 plant grow and think I can upscale something. Not to sound ignorant, but I want people who're doing something similar to me, who knows what what this kind of volume will stink like, and has had to deal with it before.

Thanks lads.

2. Ozone Generators do work, I can definitely tell you that, and they work very well. The only thing you have to watch out with those are is not leaving it on for too long. This can be easily done with a digital timer, turning it on for a couples minutes, X number of times per day depending on your room size.

I had it setup where it the ozone would turn on for three minutes, four times a day, and two minutes after the ozone would turn off, the air would be exhausted out.

About damaging the plants, I have burned them a couple times when I first got it, but they recouped nicely.

And negative ion generators are crap.

3. So if I had the ozone generator say in the bedroom outside of the grow room that'd be enough to stop the smell from leaking out?

4. Oh yeah, definitely. I couldn't believe how powerful they really were until I got one, and I tired a lot of things before that, so far it's been the best $250 I've spent.

5. Any chance of a link so I can see the type of thing I should be looking at?

I was looking at this one Ozone Generator Pro 600mg/hr output max | eBay but it's a tad pricey for the moment.

There's also this one NEW 400mg/h Ozone Generator Air Purification Odor Remove Water Food Sterilizer | eBay it's a lot less. I don't mind spending the money when I get it back in on getting a proper tent set up with a carbon filter. It'd be great if I could get something like this fairly handy until then.

6. #6 xs420, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
    I bought the "Silver Bullet" but this was like six years ago, there could be newer, better technology, but I haven't looked into it for a while.

edit: here's a picture, I'm sure you can still find them, and probably for cheaper than what I paid. Or buy a used one.

[​IMG]

7. Those ones you linked look really small.. I don't know how well they'll work, or how good they are. The Silver Bullet is pretty big as you can see, and it definitely does the job for medium to large size rooms.

8. lt looks like the ozone generator is going to run me more then a carbon scrubber. So I've decided I'm going to build a false door out of styrofoam, wrapped in panda plastic with holes cut for intake and ventilation :/ I've found a couple of cheap enough fans on ebay that look like they'll do the job and I'll be making my own carbon filter.

I'll probably do a DIY on it and add it to my current GJ so by the end of this fiasco I'll have something that any new grower can use.

Thanks for all your input though mate, it's very much appreciated.