day old sprout- why is it doing this

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by peenutt00, Feb 1, 2010.

1. #1 peenutt00, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
    i dont understand why the sprout is laying on its side. yesterday it came up tall and proud. today, its laying on its side. i have done nothing in the room from day to day and temps have been the same . what the fuck. i wasted three seeds already and im about to lose number 4 . any ideas

Attached Files:

2. Man that thing looks dead, burnt even. How much light is it under?

3. its under a 90w ufo( the real kind). temps been as high as 82.7 day and 70.2 night. ( my thermometer has high / low setting. ) the light is about a foot away since i hear new sprouts anr kind of sensitive. broke through rockwool on friday, grew nicely through sat, sunday started drooping, and today its layin down. the dirt under the cube is moist and cube itself with balanced water.

4. Did you soak the cubes before placing the seeds in? Rockwool cubes run a little low on the low side PH wise, so it is best to saok them in PH balanced water for a few hours then allow them to dry out slightly before planting the seeds. I use a mix of 7.0 water, a drop of hydrogen peroxide, a drop or 2 of liquidfied seaweed, and a couple drops of rooting gel.

I never place the cubes in the soil until I see roots coming out of the cubes.

5. i poured a half gallon through the cube and soil seperately , then let them sit and drain for an hour. the onl reason i put dirt under cube is that with the first seed i started( now dead) the root grew through the cube so quick, it dried out on me in one night. this one already has the root through the cube into the soil. it doesnt seem to wet but what do i know. the water i used was around 6.5. maybe i was too low.

6. Try takng the wrapping off the cube and planting it into the soil. It does not look comletely dead yet. Also, move the light a little closer or it will stretch real bad.

7. just wanted to add that the light has been on since i put the seed in the rockwool, i have seen massive debate on this but im gonna say it. could that be an issue???

8. I do not think it is so much the light, I believe it is more that rockwool dries out quickly. I prefer to keep it real moist. If you place it in the soil and cover it, the soil will help keep it moist and the roots will seek out the moisture of the soil. I was just saying that if you keep the light 1 ft away, it will grow 3 or 4 inches a niode ntil it reaches the light and then develop out more, which can make it top heavy and fall over.

9. thanks for the tips. ill make the necessary changes and keep an update.

10. #10 cannabiscurtis, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
    everyone always says to germ in a dark place and use rockwool and shit, however i do it a lil different and ive never had sprouts die. i have a big piece of natural sponge from like 1985 i actually think it was a living sponge. what i do is get a baggie put the seed into one of the larger holes in the piece of spong ei cut off and then get it moist with a spray bottle. once the seed is in the sponge and wet i put it into my grow room on the floor. they will normally sprout in about 1.5-2 days and once you see the taproot come out but it about an inc into the soil and as the foilage comes upplace dirt around the base of the stem to keep it sturdy until it has about 2 sets tyhen you should be good once my sprout goes to soil i put 2 cfl's about 1.5 inches away from the soil. i dont know why people put seeds into darkness to germ but i never do and it always works.

also where did you get the seeds? some bag seeds if it was hermied or whatever the case may be are just weak seeds and the chance of them taking root and surviving, or even starting is low. not all the time but im just trying to think of anything that may help you. good luck may the grass grow green on your side.

edit*--also keep a spray bottle and once the sprot comes out of the dirt try and spray it twice a day because most of the roots will be in the top 2 inches of soil and they dry out pretty fast because of lights just a thought.

11. the seed is barneys violator kush. i have two bag seed next to it that just poked out tap root yesterday. they are still in rockwool covered with ziplock bags( as seen in lower right side of blue bin). i have 3 cfl s in there as well. they are just off and sitting on the ufo. i didnt use cause i didnt want heat to build and shock the little one.( too late i guess) shoulkd i use them too? here is what we got so far.

Attached Files: