David Goldstein Fritted Glass Disc Question

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Stewey956, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Wondering how these discs are shaped and formed. Also how is it determined where the holes will be? Is there a process for producing the holes or is it all natural?

2. Watch out DG will Sue your ass! He's done it before..

3. Haha he is a crazy bastard. Essentially he fuses tiny glass particles into a disc. No telling how many holes. They do have a scale for varying densities with lower densities having more holes. I know mine hits amazing.

4. Here mine is stacking

Attached Files:

5. [quote name='"G13adsAMY"']Watch out DG will Sue your ass! He's done it before..[/quote]

Are you serious? He's sued people for talking about his work/process??? I hope he knows that fritted disks have been around LONG before he was even born!

On a side note, I've been eyeing the mini-can as a future pickup. Looks like it would be a mean mean oiler.

Good Growing and Happy Toking!

6. ForumRunner_20120807_193947.png
    There is my old DG. Sold.it.a couple months ago.

7. [quote name='"the_tokerman"']

Are you serious? He's sued people for talking about his work/process??? I hope he knows that fritted disks have been around LONG before he was even born!

On a side note, I've been eyeing the mini-can as a future pickup. Looks like it would be a mean mean oiler.

Good Growing and Happy Toking![/quote]

Well I've only "heard" that he has sued people for putting fritter disc as the button perk on a stemline. Hents his "patent pending" he sounds Jewish to me...

8. Wow, if that's true, that's LOW.

Like, yeah, I get protecting yourself from Chinese Copy-Cats, but to sue people for working with frit is just friggin' ridiculous. I want to do some more research on this, and if it turns out it's true, well, he can just forget about my money. Not cool in my book if true.

9. #11 cwys, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
    Take a moment to read that and you will see is just protecting his design and had no issue with what the artist was planning on doing with his mini frits

Edit: I am also a proud owner of a dg fritted disc, just for full disclosure

10. The discussion was related specifically to sawing "mini frits" (which would probably shatter them), so it shouldn't have prompted him to point out, that his patent will protect "all use of fritted discs in smoking/vaporizing accessories", despite not being the first or only company to utilise them for such use.

Further on, he even references everybody's favourite charlatan's: "Phx honeycomb was patent pending for a couple years before they issued the utility patent on that. I filed last year."

11. Doesn't he buy the fritted disks? I heard a while back that he purchases them from another company and then puts them into tubes. Thought they require alooot of special equipment so theres only like one company in the US that makes them.

12. Yea I can order them from a place in Berkeley. You can't patent it lol have fun enforcing that

13. [quote name='"Flurgen"']Doesn't he buy the fritted disks? I heard a while back that he purchases them from another company and then puts them into tubes. Thought they require alooot of special equipment so theres only like one company in the US that makes them.[/quote]

IIRC he makes them with boro. The ones you can buy pre-made are usually quartz, and MUCH finer than what a water pipe would need, thus severely restricting airflow.
    But its still the same friggin' thing that he's selling, and trying to patent.

14. careful... he's notorious for having uneven or bent fritted discs... probably cause he lets other glassblowers do work for him. make sure what you buy isn't one of the defects, or else it will be annoying to try and get it replaced.

15. Fritted - or sintered - discs are near impossible to create uniformly. The manner they are produced should mean each piece is ever so slightly unique. I don't think that's a bad thing but obviously, if he's putting out actual defects, that's just profit over quality.

16. Goldstien is a shithead. Read his FAQ page. The fool talks about how if you use ice your wrong and if you want decoration you can't get it for less than a grand and if you don't like water in your mouth he basically doesn't care and won't give you a splash guard... The guy thinks he is a real scientist and he has the perfect smoking answer for everybody and anything else is just stupid.

The truth is that prick cannot sue and win.

There is only one instance in which an inventor may mark his new invention with the words "patent pending," and that is when he has submitted a regular patent application or provisional application to the PTO. This essentially announces to anyone who buys your invention (if you are selling it) that you expect it to eventually be fully patented. Unfortunately, the use of the words "patent pending" offer you no protection against infringement. If another inventor makes and sells a device uncannily similar to yours, you don't have the right of exclusion to enjoin that other inventor from making or selling it. Patent protection begins once the PTO issues your patent, and no sooner. However, if your invention includes a trademark that you have registered with the PTO, you may have recourse. Protection against trademark infringement begins at the time you begin using your mark in the consumer market.

17. we get it he's got a stick up his ass for trying to do that, but really, jewish . . do we really need to perpetuate racial stereotypes? we're better than that

18. Lol well to the best of my knowledge he is in fact Jewish. If its a fact it's no longer a stereotype.