David Cameron and Cannabis

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Harry Hood, May 12, 2010.

1. Now that David Cameron is the Prime Minister of the UK, what does that mean for the cannabis movement in that country? From what I've been reading, it seems like Cameron has a liberal view on cannabis use so I'm thinking it might be a good thing. Although he refuses to provide an answer, rumours are that he smoked weed in high school and university. What is the feeling like on the ground in the UK for those of you who live there?

2. I seem to remember him saying that he tried it once, probably in eaton, because everybody did - something like that anyway, he still an utter utter cunt though! :mad:

3. he got suspended from Eton for smoking cannabis

Nick Clegg is deputy PM and his party manifesto said to trust the independent expert advice on cannabis, which is to legalise it

if you look up Lid Dems manifesto they're sensible about the issue, I hope it was one of the policies Conservatives threw in to sweeten the deal

4. #4 itsatrap, May 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010
    From what I've seen, the conservatives don't love weed. Looking around, all I've found is that they were very much in favour of it being put up to class B.

Hopefully Nick Clegg will have some input on it, as the lib dems certainly had the best drug policy.

5. David Cameron got punished at eaton for dealing weed and i think coacaine as well. The conservatives seem to not really give a crap about the issue some sources say they want medical others say class B.

6. Theresa May (Con) has just been named Home Secretary. I think she's said in the past that she wants grass to remain a class B. :(

7. just read on the news site bbc.co.uk
    the bit where the statement was released about what the new government is going to to 1st off
    there are a lot of things but about 3/4 down it lists

10. Civil liberties

The parties agree to implement a full programme of measures to reverse the substantial erosion of civil liberties under the Labour Government and roll back state intrusion.
    This will include:

# A Freedom or Great Repeal Bill.

# Outlawing the finger-printing of children at school without parental permission.

# Ending of storage of internet and email records without good reason.

# A new mechanism to prevent the proliferation of unnecessary new criminal offences.<--------------- Now this one may help us , i am not sure , whats everyones thoughts on this?

8. It's odd, i'm just hoping CLeggy will get Cameron to budge over the drugs issue, i remember him saying he was firmly in favour of prohibition a few weeks ago.

9. prohibition? it is prohibited lol , as in illegal?
    EDIT: or am i missing something? sorry lol

10. Nick Clegg discusses mephedrone / drugs policy a few weeks ago: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxIKc1DxmZQ&feature=related]YouTube - Nick Clegg discussed drugs policy[/ame]

And David Cameron: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJQyMk9VQ04&feature=related]YouTube - David Cameron on drugs policy[/ame]

:/

11. ^

"i dont accept that this drug isnt dangerous, we have actually seen cases where young people have died from it"

keep praying UK cause it aint happening yet

12. Unfortunately, probably the reality. Didn't this guy start working in government when he was only 21? Don't expect that type of guy to do anything for the cannabis movement. Just my two cents, although if someone has more illumination on his background as a young man, feel free to bring it to light

13. Aside from the leaders the Conservative party line will be to keep it illegal, most probably class B. They're still a party full of old toffs.

The Lib Dem line is to follow the advice of the ACMD (Advisory Council for the Misuse of Drugs) who said it should remain at class C, with further research into the medical and societal harms of the drug.

I don't think the Lib Dems will push this issue, it's not a big one for most of the British public and they'd get chastised for putting drug policy before things such as the economy or education reform. I'm not holding out much hope for any change to be honest.

14. This is true. If we were to see a discussion of legalisation it wouldn't be till the economy is on its feet again and who knows how long that will take.

You have to remember that the members of the ACMD that supported it to remain at class C or legalisation were all fired/resigned under the Methadrone farce. This could go ether way, it would be an easy point scorer to reinstate those members and made the ADMD independent as a one up over Labour, but it would still ultimately be under the government's control to legalise it. I just don't see that happening in this term of government.

15. Yeah, Prof. Nutt was fired for expressing his view that cannabis should be decriminalized, I believe he was the Chair of the ACMD before that. Reasoning: "his views are not in line with those of government policy". And the ACMD are supposed to be an independent panel. I fuckin hate governments atm...

16. I think he's talking about Mephadrone (not 100% on spelling...) which just became criminalised, not cannabis.
    Cleggy knows wagwan with drug policy, but as NG Hammy said, i'm expecting any changes for a while yet...

17. ...Is he actually talking about weed? He doesn't specify, and we all know that no-one's dead from smoking herb.

18. no he was defiantly talking about methadrone. And the ACMD was never independent, that was issue. Prof Nutt has gone and made his own independent team to look into certain drugs, Drug Science

19. Yeah he's talking mephedrone, and I thought there was no scientific evidence to link the drug with those deaths. Not that Cameron gives a shit anyway.

I suppose Clegg has some influence, that's better than conservatives alone or Brown's bullshit drug policy

20. he was talking about mephedrone ( the shit that gets you off crack / smak / meth but just will a chem changed so it (was) legal )

what are you on about saying he wont change it cos he was 21 when he got into politics?
    thats the reason why he WOULD do it!

also it is common knowledge that cameron got expelled from his university for selling coke and weed!
    proven!

wont be VERY soon , but will be SOON!
    at least a desclassification to class C will tie me over for another year til clegg gets his way (even more so ) , class C = controlled growing , and the police wont give a fuck if they catch you with any... sounds good to me...