Dave Matthews Band live?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by SL2SQUEEZE, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Has anybody seen them play live before? I have seen them twice (Vegas and L.A.) and they have been pretty good. The main complaint that I have with their performances is that they don't play enough of their hit songs. I also feel like they jam too much sometimes and it gets a bit boring when they go into a 10 minute jam after every song.

I guess that I expect a lot from such a great band, but I am a bit dissapointed.

2. I've never seen DMB live but I don't mind jamming at all. It would get boring if they just played exactly the studio version of every song. Maybe I'm a bit biased cause I'm also a musician, but I enjoy jamming because it's interesting to see what direction the song can go in and it usually ends up sounding badass. And think of how boring it would get for the artist to play the same hit songs show after show. Playing different songs and jamming is what makes the live experience so great.

3. Ive seen them quiet a few times years ago, I stopped going because all the drunk abercrombie kids got on my nerves.
    But, I think the exact opposite of what you think about them. I think they play too many "hits" and I LOVE the 10 min plus jams. Especially (I dunno if you have an outdoor venue) But Ive always seen them outside. So were hitting these shows, and they start playing in the sun, into the sunset and then under the stars. I love kickin off the sandals and dancing with my feet in the grass up on the hill..and then when they go into those jams, sit back relax toke a lil and look up and dream away :smoke: ahhh memories lol :D

4. DMB puts on a nice show. One of the best shows i've been to I must say. It was a few years back and I disliked when they played so many hit songs. I wish they would have jammed out longer and played some sleepers. DMB is, or was a jam band and is at heart...jamming is what they do, just not what they're popularily known for (this is obvious). Either way, if a band has the capability to do things on the spot on stage then it should make you respect them as musicians that much more. Being able to jam takes total and utter alertness from every member of the group, as well as knowing and hearing the time and note changes from other members in order to play off of them. If you don't like jams, don't see DMB just for their hit songs...that's why I as well stopped going to see them... that and ticket prices.

5. John Mayer is the same way.. every song he busts out a solo. It's not bad, unless you didn't expect it.
    Ben Folds played before John Mayer at this show, and Ben Folds was phenomenal.

6. I was at that concert in LA at the Hollywood Bowl. It was a very good show!