Darwin Awards

Discussion in 'General' started by Grim Bongmaster, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Do you guys ever check out the Darwin Awards website? I love reading the stories on here! I just submitted one that I read on MSNBC.

Exploding lava lamp kills Washington man
    Shard of glass pierces victim's heart after lamp heated on stove

KENT, Wash. - A man who placed a lava lamp on a hot stovetop was killed when it exploded and sent a shard of glass into his heart, police said.

Philip Quinn, 24, was found dead in his trailer home Sunday night by his parents.

“Why on earth he was heating a lava lamp on the stove, we don't know,” Kent Police spokesman Paul Petersen said Monday.

A lava lamp features blobs of wax in liquid that rise and fall in a container when heated by a bulb at the base of the lamp.

After the lamp exploded, Quinn apparently stumbled into his bedroom, where he died Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

Police found no evidence of drug or alcohol use.

I'm glad he wasn't smoking bud, they love using that as a scapegoat.

2. (2 August 2002, Kansas) Police said an Olathe man was struck and killed by a train after his vehicle broke down on Interstate 35. His attempts at repairing his car had failed, and he had stepped away from the busy freeway to call for help, when the train engineer spotted him standing on the tracks. The engineer said the man was holding a cell phone to one ear, and cupping his hand to the other ear to block the noise of the train

damn these are funny!!!!

Authorities are at a loss as to how to prevent train deaths. Long Island, New York locomotive engineers recently formed a support group, as every year-plus veteran without exception has involuntarily killed someone in a grade crossing collision. The baffled engineers wonder how anyone could be so unaware of the laws of physics, which dictate that a train weighing hundreds of tons has too much inertia to stop on a dime -- or even a football field.

3. Haha...I love Darwin Awards. But I like those with complete stupidity best. Like the woman on safari who wanted to take a picture of some lion cups. But since they didn't lie right, she went out of the truck to arrange them in a cuter position...need I say more??

4. yea i got one of the books; Darwin Awards: Evolution in Action

one of my favorites is about a military guy that was in on a spitting contest.

He was up on the third floor balchony of some building, and in order to add momentum to the spit, he backed way up and ran toward the guardrail... he miscalculated and went over the guardrail onto the sidewalk...

5. lmao darwin awards are hilarious. I used to go there all the time but i forgot about it. I used to have a friend that was really krazy and he like knew all of them and would just talk about the different ways people died... he was kinda freaky :\

6. I found another darwin award winner who was in the military!! This one had me laughing my ass off!!

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
    "How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-SHIT."

7. Hahaha, these are halarious im gonna check out the website. Never heard of the Darwin Awards before this.. o.0

8. Lol..yeah, I remember that one... :D

You remember the one where an ukrainian police cadett tells an offices he couldn't walk his dog without a leash...officer got so mad since the other just was a cadett, he took a granade and threw it at him. But he forgot about his dear beloved dog who didn't have a leash and loved to play fetch :hello:

9. hahaha yeah, I remember that one!! Talk about irony!!

10. thats funny stuff, because there is this one in the book i have that goes something like this:

A guy just bought a new Jeep, and he wanted to show it off so he took his friends duck hunting. Of course he brought along his dog, so go fetch the ducks they shot.
    Well since it was winter the lake they were going to hunt on was covered in ice, and I guess it is common to use explosives to blow big holes in the lake, and one of the guys had brought some along, but it had a really short fuse. I guess they were smart enough to realise how short the fuse was, they figured they would just throw it light onto the ice...
    They had forgotten to put the dog away though he ran out to get the lit explosive after they had lite it and thrown it out there... well the guys freaked out and started yelling at the dog to drop it, and when that only made the dog run faster, they owner had to shot his dog, but since it was duck shot, it didn't kill him, and he ran away... right under the jeep....

yea so the guy ended up killing his dog and blowing his jeep up, which he just bought the day before...

this was just an honorable mention since nobody but the dog was killed, but still, stupid ass people lol