darkness?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by shackleford, Mar 1, 2007.

1. ok once a seed is germinated do you sprout it in darkness or light? no guide/video that ive read/seen specifies. im guessing its a given so it shouldnt have to be said but im wondering for a few reasons. ive not had much luck sprouting a seed under 116W of cool white cfls. some videos kinda infer it, i think. and someone on here told me i should. i have successfully sprouted un-germed seeds in my window sill and im pretty sure thats where all my successfully sprouted plants started. but never under my cfl/flouro set-up. so am i doing something wrong and if so what?

2. i know ive read that at least 3 times and have been reading stuff since november but alot of sights have the same guide just copy and pasted which is bullshit. and so your saying darkness til they sprout then light?

3. That replicates nature, darkness until they break the soil and are exposed to the sun. I germ using wet paper towels in a plastic sealable container placed in a dark, warm place. A couple of times a day pop open the container for some fresh air. They usually pop within 2-4 days at which point I put them in soil and throw a couple of CFL's over them so the light will be there as soon as they are above ground.

4. im germing mine in what was warm when i checked it today. it was 4 different paper towels with diff seeds in each. and open it every day and open up the towels after taking them outta the bag to see if theyve cracked and roll them around. 2 look like they will by tomorrow but none yet. im kinda just thinking it right now

5. If you're having a hard time keeping the paper towel warm, consider setting the paper towels (ziploc bag and all) on a plate and setting that on a heating pad, or on top of your refrigerator. Personally I had bad luck getting them to germinate in paper towel but I think I might have kept mine too wet (soaking wet instead of just moist). Keep us posted, let us know how you make out!

On an unrelated note, though, Bob Dylan wrote Watchtower, not Jimi Hendrix ;)

6. well im hoping tomorrow im not having a problem with heat but they might be too moist. but i think my other failures to germ were due to not moist enough. and does anyone have any good instructions on how to make a scuffer b/c ive tried to germ some seeds 5-6 times but theyve never germed and i know theyre not dead. so i think i might need to scuff them. and what does it mean when your seed starts to get little pices of paper towel stuck to it? and yyes i know about the whole dylan thing youre at least the 3rd person to say something im too lazy to change it and hedrix made it the great song it is

7. I just had my first seed germinate today! The first one failed - I was using wet kitchen towel. This time I used 2 bits of tissue folded over into qurters end very wed. One of these above and one below. I put this between two saucers, the top one upside down to contain the tissue. I spray twice a day with a vapurisor thing and kept it pretty damp, 20 - 24 degrees and in the dark.

[​IMG]

I just planted it, I'll put it under lights as soon as it sprouts.

8. i do mine in a glass of water til they crack...then take and place in rockwool 1" cube bout a seed length down, then pinch it down or cover it...make sure u soak the rockwool in a 6.0-6.5ph first...not too much light at first...thats my opinion.

9. Yep. Never did understand why I would want to mess with paper towels and keeping them moist, etc..

Throw them in a cup of water and when they germ, plant them. ;)

No light is needed until they break ground, but I keep a light on them because I don't want them stretching if they break soil and I don't get down there right away.

10. Get a matchbox (or similar box of the same size) and some sandpaper. Line the box with the sandpaper... then just pop in your seeds and voila, shake-and-bake!

true dat! Dylan started to imitate Hendrix's version after he heard it :D

11. yea im really pissed i wasted 8 good seeds from some bomb ass shit and im hoping i dont fuck these up. but if theyll germ while under light why not just leave em under a light