Dark Souls

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Mogwai, Feb 29, 2012.

1. I just rented this game to see if I wanted to buy it or not since I've heard so many good things about it. I've heard it was very hard, which I kind of wanted.. but holy fuck, simply saying it's "hard" may be an understatement.

I barely got through the tutorial section after dying a ton of times -.-

Now I'm in some town or something. As soon as I leave I get mobbed by these skeletons that totally fuck my shit up every time. I will occasionally kill the first two and then get fucked up by the next 2. I went through the town and killed the two NPCs >.>, I needed the souls to level up haha. I dunno if that was a good idea or not yet.

Game's hard as fuck. It seems like a solid RPG but I can't tell for sure yet. I guess I need to get used to it and work my way farther into it before I can say anything about it. Any tips?

2. I played demon's souls and thought it was no big deal, haven't gotten this yet but this little morsel may help you:

This game was (most likely, as I don't have it yet...) made to destroy whoever tries to run through a level carelessly. Take your time navigating the levels, look in every corner, expect the unexpected (such as a bad guy who you can not see but will hit you when you walk through a door, etc.) and memorize where /how many enemies there are.

Good luck and hope you like the game.

3. Yeah I've definitely developed a habit of moving slowly and checking all the areas around me.

It's an alright game though. The map seems really confusing to me. The lack of NPCs is sorta lame too. I accidentally attacked the only guy who sells arrows during the first half of the game because he was just out in the wilderness and there were enemies all around him, so I mistook him for one. Now he's dead and I can't buy any fucking arrows at all -.-, and enemies don't drop them.

There's a handful of just plain cheap deaths sometimes. Sometimes a basic enemy will attack me with a normal attack and either 1 hit kill me or drop my health to almost nothing. The damage the enemy does seems pretty inconsistent. Sometimes they'll hit and do almost no damage. I guess they're hitting massive criticals or something.

4. I haven't played Dark Souls yet, but I plan on it once I get a replacement PS3.

But it's predecessor, Demon's Souls, metaphorically raped me again and again. That tutorial boss slammed me again and again (I managed, through strategy and some untapped "I'm in an epic setting ajlkj;kjf", to kill him once, but that didn't matter 30 minutes later). I love how unapologetically brutal that game is, especially when you're a spirit.

5. My first run through i played as deprived just for the fuck of it and only got killed by the first boss two times before he fell to the might of my wooden club.

The thing that realy made me love this game though is when i got some chainmail armor and was going up the castle. I felt like i was a really in the middle ages storming a castle.

Im telling you though just wait until you get to the tomb of the giants,nothing but darkness.

6. Alright, just grabbed this game and looking for some people to play with or pvp.

7. I bought it when it came out, and returned it about a week later. It was too damn frustrating for me, theres no fun in constantly dieing so easily.

8. Skills my friend.

9. @OutOnTheTiles

It becomes fun when you let go of staying alive. Dying in a game over and over, maybe at times to progress, can be a very cathartic\t:smoking:

Praise The Sun!

10. Yeah dying has to be approached as just part of the game. Like every time I'd encounter a new type of enemy I'd welcome a few deaths just because I knew I needed to die to see how they fight.

Thing is though is it was too much about dying. No matter how you developed your character, you were going to die a shit ton. And really avoiding death was the only challenge in the game. And when that's the only challenge to a game it's a bit disappointing in ways. Still a fun game... but eh, I don't think I'd pay more than $20 for it.

Though I'd be interested in a sequel

11. this game has made me loose alot of sleep. im giving it a break until further notice. i will pick it up again later on when things are good in my life. I dont need the added stress. lol

12. damn this thread is a month old

I've been playing the shit out of Dark Souls lately. Just made it to New Londo which I guess everyone says is a really fun place. Every boss kill is sooo satisfying, I love this game.

Anyone whose having a hard time with the start, which I think is definitely the most brutal, I'd suggest starting as a knight. Their armor and stats make the first couple bosses a joke. And the shield they get is good for like the whole game.

13. Anyone still play this on 360? Looking for people to pvp with.

Sent from my iPhone using GC Forum