Dark Room method of increasing THC

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Snobart, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Im about to finish with some IAF and ive heard that putting plants in a pitch black room for 2 or three days stresses the plants out and make them produce a lot more thc. Has anyone heard or tried this?

2. Lots of discussion on this. It isn't definitively proven one way or the other, some do it and some don't. The idea is that it signals to the plant that the dead of winter is here (shortest day of the year) and so in a last-gasp effort to reproduce the plant channels resources away from survival and puts everything in to swelling the buds and increasing resins. I do it, but like I said it's an ongoing debate.

3. yea you seen good results from it?

4. I feel that I have, but what I haven't done -- and what virtually no growers can do -- is a controlled experiment with large numbers of plants. To truly test this idea you would need to do it to dozens if not hundreds of plants, matched to an identical sample that does not receive the extended dark, with all other conditions throughout the grow exactly the same.

This is the same reason that many issues with growing MJ are debated and never settled, there just isn't government funding for a major university to undertake the study to resolve this questions of the absolute best way to get the biggest, most potent harvest from MJ. So most "evidence" we have is anecdotal, someone tried an "experiment" by doing something different this 3-plant grow than last year's 3-plant grow and saw a difference, but that's not scientific proof of anything.

5. ya man tried it with a couple of branch's in a dark room for 3 day's,it was more stronger than the other branch's that where on the tree before.

6. Like ToastyBiz said; It's all anecdotal. But then, for centuries before the invention of the 'scientific method', pretty much ALL knowledge was anecdotal in nature. I just tried this on one of two plants of the same bagseed. Different seeds, so of course, a possible slight variance in the genetics inherited from the same parents...so not "scientifically valid". But my result was simply that the one I put into 36 hours of dark seemed to be a bit more crystallized. Not enough to make any concrete decision, but enough to warrant further experiment, to me. Like Toasty says, most of mj growing comes down to personal preference...and it's interesting to discover these things for yourself.

7. Ok, old thread I found and since I did the experiment with multiples video updates, I feel good to give my opinion.

You can go to my signature and to My current grow and watch my video updates about the 48 hours darkness I did.

My results, this not a standard by any means, however

48 hours of darkness - did not increase the trichs.

72 Hours of darkness - did increase the trichs in my buds, however I ended up with a bunch CLEAR TRICHS, not sure that affect the potency somehow, she was more frosty than usual, I can vouch.

8. Thanks for the input based on personal experience!

9. Yes thank you, and just to clarify, you put a plant into darkness when exactly? before flowering yes?

10. There are two potential times to give the plant extended dark. They really are separate issues, neither decided definitively, proponents on each side.

One potential time to give extended dark is just before harvest, as discussed above. The other is at the start of 12/12, to give the plants a "kick-start" to the hormonal reaction to flower.

11. [quote name='"toastybiz"']There are two potential times to give the plant extended dark. They really are separate issues, neither decided definitively, proponents on each side.

One potential time to give extended dark is just before harvest, as discussed above. The other is at the start of 12/12, to give the plants a "kick-start" to the hormonal reaction to flower.[/quote]

can you do it both times??

12. If the trichs were clear does that mean you can do a three day string of darkness and put em under the lights again to brown them and then another three days of darkness? Or is that seriously hermie inducing.

13. [quote name='"Vox Continental"']If the trichs were clear does that mean you can do a three day string of darkness and put em under the lights again to brown them and then another three days of darkness? Or is that seriously hermie inducing.[/quote]

Or perhaps harvesting with mostly amber trichs then inducing an even longer dark period such as 5 days?

There is so much experimenting to be done.

14. It helps more with terpene content than cannabinoid content; when growing with clones that I'm familiar with, side-by-side I've always found a consistent improvement in effect as well as odor/flavor by harvesting either early in the morning (before lights-on) or after a few days of darkness, when compared to harvesting at the end of their 'daylight' hours. Plants lose and recreate terpenes all day long, light and heat damages and destroys them, while living cannabinoids do not degrade as readily until overly-matured.

Terpene content plays a HUGE role in the effectiveness of your meds, they have analgesic, sedative and cancer-fighting properties all of their own. This is why harvesting after a period of darkness, even if it is only just before lights-on, is a good idea.

15. Yes -- one, the other, both, or neither. They are independent considerations.

Extended dark doesn't speed the transition of the trichs, it is supposed to induce the plant to produce more resins. And you don't "brown" your trichs under lights, it isn't a rotisserie...

16. What is terpene content? Hey your the girl who makes everything glow in the dark!

17. Bad kitty has it pegged dead right. Nothing else anyone has said on this thread has been even relevant.

The terpene (somehow closely tied to the breakdown/ activity of chlorophyll, which makes your shit more green and not taste as good) goes around the plant during daylight hours to distribute nutes and keep the plant going, and during the dark period, it has to lock down, so most of it retracts back into the stems and the safest parts of the plants, so you would get the best bud if they have received no light, and the terpenes are all in the stems.

Terpenes and clorophyll are the reason your bud improves through curing. All of this is retracted more and more back into the stem each time the bud dries out again.

I personally do 36 hours dark and have experimented, but my results are always tainted by different flushing techniques and different lines of nutrients.

I am a believer that it doesn't increase thc necessarily, but it will improve smell, taste, and shorten your curing time/

18. Terpenes and flavonoids etc. are why your plants tend to smell much more fragrant
    during their dark hours, and in the early morning just after your lights turn on; the extended heat
    and uv/light exposure during the day has a degradative effect on these properties causing them to
    dissipate.
    This is why the odor fades noticeably by the end of the day (and it is why we store our cannabis in
    air-tight jars, in cool and dark locations... mine are in crates in a wine cellar).

And they are responsible for providing seemingly 'more-potent', herb, because they have analgesic,
    sedative (not to mention anti-mutagenic/anti-cancer, and other beneficial) properties all of
    their own. :hello:

This is why the obvious best time for harvest is either early in the morning, or after
    an extended period of darkness... during those dark hours, they continue to produce
    valuable terpenes with the added benefit that in these conditions, those already produced will
    not readily degrade.

Instead of dissipating as fast, or even faster than they can be created (as they do during the
    day), instead of degrading, they will continue to compound and multiply when given a
    little extra dark. The twelve hours of darkness we give them controls the hormonal response to
    flowering, but it isn't a magic number for terpene production; the increase in terpenes will easily
    continue for a few additional hours, and in some plants, even for additional days (which is
    where the -exaggerated- 'two week widow rule' stems from), beyond the twelve hours we
    normally give them.

Hope this helps. :)

This may too....

" In Cannabis:
    -over 120 different terpenes can be manufactured by Cannabis, some only in trace amounts with others in double-digit percentage
    -produced in the Trichomes, the same glands where THC is produced, comprising between 10 and 20 percent of the total oils produced by the glands
    -about 10-29 percent of marijuana smoke resin is composed of terpenes/terpenoids
    -age, maturation and time of day can affect the amount and ratios of terpenes. They are constantly being produced but are vaporized by heat and light of the day… so harvest in early morning!
    -climate and weather also affect terpene and flavonoid production. The same variety, even genotype, can produce a different terpene profile when grown in different soils or with different fertilizers (So treat your babes well, give them a good environment, cool night time temps and comfortable daylight temps... they can survive abuse, but they will reward you when you treat them just right ;) - BKS ).
    -in addition to many circulatory and muscular effects, some terpenes interact with neurological receptors
    -a few bind weakly to Cannabinoid receptors
    -others seem to alter the permeability of cell membranes and allow in either more or less THC
    -others affect serotonin and dopamine chemistry (neurotransmitters)

Effects when ingested by an animal can be:
    -anti-microbial, anti-carcinogen, anti-oxidant, analgesic (painkiller), anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxer, anti-depressant, psychoactive..., anti-anxiety, sedative, vasoconstrictant, vasorelaxant, sensory enhancer…" - Terpenes and Terpenoids in CANNABIS - Info

And this is from theCannaPharm, over in the edibles section.....

" Very quickly (in the kitchen as we speak [​IMG] ) here are a few links with some very good info on terpenes/terpenoids in both cannabis, and other foods, and their effects... I'll excerpt a bit, as well.

It is a crime that those in power, needlessly keep this plant from so many sick, and healthy people:

Terpenes

[​IMG]

"Generally, inhaled terpenoids cause sedation." McPartland

There are over 120 Terpenes (terpenoid fragrance molecules) manufactured within the Cannabis Plant. Terpenes have interesting effects on humans, including modulating the effects of THC and decreasing memory loss. These substances play other important, but not yet fully understood, roles in the interplay of Cannabinoids and other active components of the plant and the Nervous System. Cannabinoid Receptors are found in the brains and major organs of humans as well as all other life forms having a nervous system.

The activity that occurs between THC and Terpenoids may modulate activity in several key ways.

-CB1 Receptor Interactions.
    -Increase THC affinity.
    -Remodel "G Proteins".
    -Changes to BBB alters pharmokinetics.
    -Decreasing Memory Loss.

Terpenes in delta-9-tetrahydrocannabnol (THC)

Alpha Pinene = Pine Fragrance
    Lemonene = Orange Fragrance
    Sabinene = Pepper Fragrance
    Myrcene =Perfumery Fragrance

Common Effects of the Major Terpenes found in Cannabis

Linalool (Also in Lavender)

Multidrug resistant bacteria.
    Anti-tumor effects. (Ugur '09)
    Potentiates Paclitaxel. ('07 Legault)
    Suppresses Aspergillus Flaus Mycelial growth and Aflatoxin production. (Nogueria '09)

Trans beta- caryophyllene (ß-Caryophyllene is found in nearly all plants)

A Selective Activator of the CB2 receptor.
    Reduces Tissue Inflammation.
    Reduces swelling in Head Trauma.
    Reduces Fever.
    Lowers Blood Pressure.

Myrcene (also in Mangos, Hops, & Lemon Grass)

Analgesic, anti-inflammatory & muscle relaxant properties.
    Most Abundant.
    Mono-terpene.
    BBB.
    Inhibits Mutagenesis. (Mitic'-Culafic' D. 09)

Nerolidol (also in Citrus Rinds)

Sedative.
    Anti-malarial.

Limonene (The 2nd most common Terpene in Cannabis; also in Citrus Rinds)

Monocyclic-terpenoid.
    Primary component in a clinical study: reduce or eliminate antidepressant use. (Komori '95)
    Inhibits Aspergillus.
    Blocks Carcinogenic effects of Benz-alpha-anthracene.
    Positive clinical trial results for breast cancer protein effects.
    Oxidative Stress in Lymphomas. (Manuele '09)

Terpenes and Terpenoids in Cannabis

Terpenes (C5H8)-medicinal molecules and important building blocks in nature
    -pronounced (TUR-peen)
    -diverse group of organic HydroCarbons (C5H8), produced by a wide variety of plants
    -terpenoids are terpenes which have been chemically modified. They are important building blocks for certain odors, hormones, vitamins, pigments, steroids, resins, essential oils, and CANNABINOIDS!
    -they are naturally released from plants when temperatures are higher, helping to seed clouds which then cool the plants
    -they interact with each other synergistically for a range of different smells/qualities/effects

In Cannabis:
    -over 120 different terpenes can be manufactured by Cannabis, some only in trace amounts with others in double-digit percentage
    -produced in the Trichomes, the same glands where THC is produced, comprising between 10 and 20 percent of the total oils produced by the glands
    -about 10-29 percent of marijuana smoke resin is composed of terpenes/terpenoids
    -drug sniffing dogs are able to smell odorous terpenes, not THC
    -age, maturation and time of day can affect the amount and ratios of terpenes. They are constantly being produced but are vaporized by heat and light of the day… so harvest in early morning! (and store your jars, in cool to cold, dark wine cellars, or similar [​IMG] )
    -climate and weather also affect terpene and flavonoid production. The same variety, even genotype, can produce a different terpene profile when grown in different soils or with different fertilizers.
    -in addition to many circulatory and muscular effects, some terpenes interact with neurological receptors
    -a few bind weakly to Cannabinoid receptors
    -others seem to alter the permeability of cell membranes and allow in either more or less THC (of the more common terpenes myrcene has this effect, as does limonene)
    -others affect serotonin and dopamine chemistry (neurotransmitters)

The Phytochemical Glossary: Foods and their Phytochemicals

And lastly, for those who wiki.. [​IMG]
    List of phytochemicals in food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you very much for asking me to share this just now! It is a very good prerequisite for some of the upcoming tutorials.. [​IMG] "

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For enjoying as they are, or...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Hah its Ben Franklin, hey your the one who is suppossed to test that out I thought we discussed this!